[spoilers] So, in the end, the PTWP...

Aerys Blackfyre

1 hour ago, TheWolfOfCambridge said:

rewatching the show, IS it possible that Arya was "wind-walking" or "used "Misty-Step" to get past the WW?

She rust ran by. The NK was arrogantly self-confident to deal with her like he had dealt with Theon on his own. No mystery or plot hole here.

9 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

She rust ran by. The NK was arrogantly self-confident to deal with her like he had dealt with Theon on his own. No mystery or plot hole here.

Maybe the NK was arrogant, but it still doesn't explain how she ran past all the wights AND the WW.  She isn't superhuman.  If she had super skills, she would have been using them in the library.  To me, unless there is further explanation, it doesn't really make much sense that she got as close to the NK as she did. 

So, lets say Jon is the PTWP...

He was the one to give Arya the Needle and instruct her how to use it. Does it makes her his Lightbringer?

It strangely fits, and there were theories about Lightbringer being the person, not the object.

Yeah, it's not really satisfying, but can we really expect more from the show?

They decided Arya was going to kill the Night King three years ago, around the time they started writing season 7. They chose her because it was unexpected. We lost all payoff to Jon's character arc from bastard to prince that would bring back the dawn.

We got the Last Jedi the TV show. The Night King was Snoke. Even had someone disappear looking at the horizon.

We should stop acting as if we knew what the purpose of the PtwP is or was. Who is to say, the PtwP has to kill the NK personally? The PtwP could be a leader. Jon and Danny definitively were. People here act as if they have read the entire series and some here come to such moronic conclusions like "In the books Dragonfire definitively kills White Walkers, since Valyrian steel is made with Dragonfire". Sure, GRRM, thanks for the spoilers here in disguise. Now I don't have to wait for several years, to read about stuff, you havent even mentioned yet in the books.

1 minute ago, T and A said:

We should stop acting as if we knew what the purpose of the PtwP is or was. Who is to say, the PtwP has to kill the NK personally? The PtwP could be a leader. Jon and Danny definitively were. People here act as if they have read the entire series and some here come to such moronic conclusions like "In the books Dragonfire definitively kills White Walkers, since Valyrian steel is made with Dragonfire". Sure, GRRM, thanks for the spoilers here in disguise. Now I don't have to wait for several years, to read about stuff, you havent even mentioned yet in the books.

It doesn't really make sense that dragonglass kills them, and valyrian steel kills them but actual dragon fire does nothing to the NK.  That is illogical.  

The Youtuber "In Deep Geek" explained some cute theory why Arya killed Night King but dragonfire could not.

It wasn't about "killing" NK, but rather "uncreating" him.

So he was created in front of a weirwood tree using weirwood knife (by a CoTF).

And he was "uncreated" in front of a weirwood tree using valyrian knife (by a FM).

So not only the method was important, but also the place (and possibly the person)

// The "uncreating" bit was supposedly said by D&D, but I can't find the source//

8 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

It doesn't really make sense that dragonglass kills them, and valyrian steel kills them but actual dragon fire does nothing to the NK.  That is illogical.  

Valyrian steel is not just steel forged with Dragonfire. If it were, the Taragaryens would have made 100 of them in Westeros after the doom. Until now, we have no idea how Valyrian Steel is made in the books. So it is not illogical that Dragonfire doesn't harm them, but Valyrian steel does. 

45 minutes ago, Red Dragon10 said:

Maybe the NK was arrogant, but it still doesn't explain how she ran past all the wights AND the WW.

The wights were turned off. They didn't attack Theon anymore, too. 

The WW let the NK do the job. They were convinced he could handle Arya. He almost had.

3 hours ago, Red Dragon10 said:

LOL..are you kidding?  

It doesn't make a lot of sense that Sam survived, but I guess you could say that the WW just couldn't be bothered.  Arya somehow had a Quicksilver moment of moving faster than light, to get by the wights and WW at a very critical moment, and surprise the NK.  

I think Sam will end up surviving the whole thing and end up being the one that recorded "The Song of Ice and Fire"

10 hours ago, Ice Queen said:

You're preaching to the choir here. LOL D&D said in the segment after the show that she stabbed him exactly where the dragonglass was. 

Wait, really?

So...not a great idea for the NK to have a gap in his armor right there.

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out in the end. Fantastic.

8 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

I'm not sure why anyone thinks that prophesies ever "mean" anything in. He seems to show how often people screw up by paying attention to them, though.

people may screw up understanding them but they always come true in Martin's universe

6 hours ago, Red Dragon10 said:

I don't think her visions are very clear.  She obviously didn't actually see Arya killing the NK.  Just that she would be a killer who would close many colours of eyes.  But then later on I guess it became more clear that the blue eyes were actually the blue of the NK. *shrug* I don't know.  

Late understanding from her side would be... Hmm, I'm convinced.

3 hours ago, T and A said:

Valyrian steel is not just steel forged with Dragonfire. If it were, the Taragaryens would have made 100 of them in Westeros after the doom. Until now, we have no idea how Valyrian Steel is made in the books. So it is not illogical that Dragonfire doesn't harm them, but Valyrian steel does. 

There is, at this point, no reason to believe that the Others give a damn about Valyrian steel in the books. At this point they have only been harmed/killed by obsidian and there are ancient stories that 'dragonsteel' can kill them as well.

If Valyrian steel were a version of dragonsteel then this could likely kill them, too - effectively implying that dragons should be able to do the trick, too, considering they are the things this dragonsteel is named after.

Also, it is quite clear that the fact that obsidian is 'frozen fire' - i.e. magically fiery/hot in some sense - is the explanation why the Others are affected by that.

4 hours ago, Red Dragon10 said:

To me, unless there is further explanation, it doesn't really make much sense that she got as close to the NK as she did. 

There won’t be any further explanation. It doesn’t make sense and will never make sense. D&D don’t give a shit. 

7 hours ago, T and A said:

Yeah but why compare dragon fire with Valyrian steel before comparing it to obsidian? Valyrian steel is "overkill" for killing WWs at this point so its a joke that dragon fire can't match obsidian.

Archived