What was Bran doing the whole time?

Stormking902

But in the previous episode, in a cheap rip-off of Harry Potter, they stated that Bran's arm scars already allowed the Night King to locate him.

I think that Bran's warging was just pointless waste of time. Just as everything that has surrounded this subplot: the Night King's priority suddenly being to kill the 3EC, the ridiculous "trap" at the Godswood, Arya appearing from nowhere, the Night King's death implying that all the other White Walkers and the wights die, and the fact that knowing that the Night King decided that he had the had to risk himself in the frontline of the battle.

Don’t mean to jack your topic, but....... lol. I wanna dissect the stare down between the night king and bran. Did it seem to anyone else that when bran looked down, the night king turned his head as if he was confused?  Almost like he’s been here before, but bran just did something that wasn’t done before..... or am I just looking to much into nothing? Lol

1 hour ago, Stormking902 said:

It seemed very pointless to me since he wasn't relaying any information. 

Yes, it appeared pointless without any communication, without any relevant revelations.

Maybe Bran will tell us in E4 what he was doing. Difficult to say at the moment. Hopefully this will make sense after all. 

what was he doing?  What he needed to do - he knows all the prior times the Nights King has come for the 3EC; this is like Endgame, 14 million endings and only one do the good guys win.  How would warging a dragon have made any difference - we saw what they were able to do and not do.  What information would he have been able to send that would have changed anything? 

When you can do anything, sometimes the right thing to do is nothing.  He set up the Nights King and it worked.

14 minutes ago, Bud RR Martin said:

We can hope the show will address what Bran was doing for 90-minutes.  The Night King may need to return for that to occur.  Otherwise, I bet it will be lost like so many other sub-plots.

It will likely be lost. D&D are those guys driving a boat and always looking forward, never looking back at the things left in their wake. It's all about Cersei now. And what's really sad is this isn't really a sub-plot. Bran and the Night King is kind of one of the more important parts of the show. But they end it with no explanation and no real tension.

2 hours ago, SixFeetUnder said:

Don’t mean to jack your topic, but....... lol. I wanna dissect the stare down between the night king and bran. Did it seem to anyone else that when bran looked down, the night king turned his head as if he was confused?  Almost like he’s been here before, but bran just did something that wasn’t done before..... or am I just looking to much into nothing? Lol

Wait until you get a chance to read the scripts. There you can read what the characters conveyed of their inner feelings just using their faces, etc. I guess it will be very 'illuminating'.

2 hours ago, SixFeetUnder said:

There was something very curious about that stare. It seemed to go on and on. I was expecting something really surprising to happen. I was joking to myself, what if the NK just grins at Bran and says something like "well played bro" and Bran grins back and then it turns out they've secretly been in the same team for a long time...

I could only accept Bran watching some other channel while others were getting killed defending him IF he was meant to distract NK from noticing Arya's approach. But it seemed like Arya's attack was not planned... didn't she almost give up until they met Melisandre again. Which manual and when did they read on how to kill NK anyway?

5 hours ago, SixFeetUnder said:

I do hope the stare down was meaningful.  I'm hoping something deeper was going on with Bran, with the NK...

We shall see.  Unfortunately this may be just a case of D&D trying to convey emotion though expression and ending up just confusing people. 

Re OP: That's a very good question.
I wondered this myself, as he didn't really seem to do anything, nor did he convey any information he gathered to his allies.
He simply sat there for the entire battle, warged into some ravens that ultimately didn't do anything, and gave Theon a "time to die, thanks for everything"-speech.

If Bran's ravens had somehow made the NK move out of the clouds which would've made him show himself to Jon and Daenerys, then at least he would've done something.

I honestly thought Bran was flying around in the ravens to gather up an army of animals who would help fight. I mean the enemy is DEATH after all, and death doesn't only come for humans. It will kill the animals too. So all those wolves, bears, stags and shit need to come help. The Starks have this superpower where they can skinchange into animals so it would have been nice to see it represented in a battle where they need to muster every last shred of power they have and stop sitting on it.

Archived