What was Bran doing the whole time?

Stormking902

THIS. This is exactly what makes me mad about the episode. I can swallow everything else, every nuisance or plothole, but this is really getting to me. I can smell in the air. I can sense that the show will just leave it like that, no further explanation, I can bet they aren't even conscious about this... this... I don't know even what to call this, a plothole? I don't think it is, I think is a fucking error of editing. What was Bran doing with the crows and what was he doing after the crows? They'll never adress that, they will just fade out these questions into the emptyness of next episode!

1 hour ago, Clan O'Raghallaigh said:

I don't know what Bran was doing, but whatever it was, it was pretty evil shit. I never believed the theory about Bran being the Night King, but do you know who Bran is? He is the GREAT OTHER. Melisandre saw Bloodraven as the servent of the great other in the books, a servent to Bran. Why was the Night King trying to kill Bran? To end the long night, bring balance to the seasons, so he could finally live in peace. The Night King wasn't 100% evil, just did terrible things for the good of the world. Melisandre unfortunately fucked up again, and believed the Night King was the threat, and not Bran. This works in that Arya is not Azor Ahai or the PTWP, that person is still to reveal themselves.

This makes a lot of sense to me, book wise at least. 

28 minutes ago, Saturno said:

THIS. This is exactly what makes me mad about the episode. I can swallow everything else, every nuisance or plothole, but this is really getting to me. I can smell in the air. I can sense that the show will just leave it like that, no further explanation, I can bet they aren't even conscious about this... this... I don't know even what to call this, a plothole? I don't think it is, I think is a fucking error of editing. What was Bran doing with the crows and what was he doing after the crows? They'll never adress that, they will just fade out these questions into the emptyness of next episode!

And the fan bois will eat it up wholesale without question and then lecture us how Cersei will marry Jon and have Varys' babies or some other stupid crackpot theory that is irrelevant. 

1 hour ago, Clan O'Raghallaigh said:

I don't know what Bran was doing, but whatever it was, it was pretty evil shit. I never believed the theory about Bran being the Night King, but do you know who Bran is? He is the GREAT OTHER. Melisandre saw Bloodraven as the servent of the great other in the books, a servent to Bran. Why was the Night King trying to kill Bran? To end the long night, bring balance to the seasons, so he could finally live in peace. The Night King wasn't 100% evil, just did terrible things for the good of the world. Melisandre unfortunately fucked up again, and believed the Night King was the threat, and not Bran. This works in that Arya is not Azor Ahai or the PTWP, that person is still to reveal themselves.

I just came here to post something similar. The NK was the failed weapon of the CoTF. The Three Eyes Crow is a much better weapon of the CoTF. But first the NK had to be cleared off the board. 

36 minutes ago, unJon said:

I just came here to post something similar. The NK was the failed weapon of the CoTF. The Three Eyes Crow is a much better weapon of the CoTF. But first the NK had to be cleared off the board. 

The 3EC is better than the NK on what aspects again? Because at least on the show he is pretty much useless...

44 minutes ago, Saturno said:

The 3EC is better than the NK on what aspects again? Because at least on the show he is pretty much useless...

No disagreement here. Just trying to keep speculation going in some way that would redeem some aspects of it. 

He got the 3 eyed raven, jojen, Summer, Hodor, and the last of the CotF killed for no reason.  Almost as bad as giving the NK a dragon to tear down wall.  I can't think of one thing he provided that wasn't obtainable by another means ... oh you meant in this episode.

15 hours ago, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

It's obvious they didn't know what to do with Bran and just put him out the battle.

The guy could have warged a Dragon, Ghost, revealed information, overseen the battle and spreading information but naaah let's just let him be still and let everyone die without trying to help.

Bran-Ghost with dragonglass teeth would have made the whole thing worth it. 

1 hour ago, D2procon said:

My guess is that bran goes back in time to alter the events in the past in a way that causes NK's death

That might be it. Maybe he had to do it just a little before NK is there.

We will hear Tyrion explain later what the plan was. Didn't he say in ep 2 that "I think we can win this war" or something?

If we are trying to make sense of it...it is prolly because he can see the future he was just making sure everything unfolded as he envisioned, if he tried to change anything like stopping the idiotic dothraki charge, the future where NK dies could have been not possible anymore somehow. Everything needed to happen, Theon, Jorah etc had to die for NK to die also. :P

7 hours ago, Red Dragon10 said:

Bran's ability to warg into birds and animals is only one small part of what he can do.  He can also see all the past.  And everything happening currently (I think?).  That is why he is the 'memory of man' or whatever they said.  I'm not sure why wiping out the memory/past of man is so important if you plan to kill everyone on the planet anyway, however.... 

But he can definitely do more than warg into birds.  I'm also under the impression that a lot of Bran's power is untapped at this point, because his training was interrupted when the old 3ER died. 

Exactly! That is the whole point :) Bran was always a central part of the story... the message was that he was the only one who could destroy the NK. If the only way he could do it is by being bait then thats pretty weak and also doesn't explain why the NK would bother going out of his way just for Bran....unless Bran was meant to play a bigger part - hence plot hole.

20 hours ago, Stormking902 said:

So Theon and the IB were protecting Bran while he appeared to take over a murder of crows and surveyed the battle field, but for what purpose? It seemed very pointless to me since he wasn't relaying any information. 

I think he played the juicy prey for the Night King. The Night King wanted him dead, so he attacked Winterfell with full force, lureing him into the godswood, so that Arya (or someone else) could kill him. If Bran wasn't there, the Night King could have simply ignored Winterfell, killed everyone else in the North to move on further south, where more people for his army waited.

2 minutes ago, Haskelltier said:

I think he played the juicy prey for the Night King. The Night King wanted him dead, so he attacked Winterfell with full force, lureing him into the godswood, so that Arya (or someone else) could kill him. If Bran wasn't there, the Night King could have simply ignored Winterfell, killed everyone else in the North to move on further south, where more people for his army waited.

They should have made that plan in the previous episode in a war council so we could all know about it!

7 minutes ago, Quillon said:

They should have made that plan in the previous episode in a war council so we could all know about it!

I think it was mentioned, that Bran was the main target for the White Walkers (thats why Theon went with him into the godswood). But it could also be, that Bran knew (or had a very good idea of) what will happen and simply did what had to be done without telling everyone else. What could the defenders have done differently? I don't know. We saw that the battle went differently than the defenders would have liked. The blizzard hindering the dragons to unleash their full potential. Wights drowning the fire by simply throwing themselves into the flames. Wights pileing up to siege the walls of Winterfell. The chaos in the Winterfell and the crypts. I think in the end we would have got more or less the same result.

They show Tyrion and Bran starting a conversation prior to the battle. Have to wonder what Bran shared...

Also, Bran's training was interrupted and he can basically plug into the world weirwood web. He may have just been "reading" and watching the battle via his crows for as long as he could. Surely, there were plenty of things in there he still wanted to see and he may have still been searching for ways to defeat the NK. 

It was interesting that it was still snowing after the battle. Either this was overlooked by D&D, or the long winter isn't over. Dany's visions also showed a snow covered throne... 

Something big and cold is still coming... 

7 minutes ago, imp-ty said:

They show Tyrion and Bran starting a conversation prior to the battle. Have to wonder what Bran shared...

Also, Bran's training was interrupted and he can basically plug into the world weirwood web. He may have just been "reading" and watching the battle via his crows for as long as he could. Surely, there were plenty of things in there he still wanted to see and he may have still been searching for ways to defeat the NK. 

It was interesting that it was still snowing after the battle. Either this was overlooked by D&D, or the long winter isn't over. Dany's visions also showed a snow covered throne... 

Something big and cold is still coming... 

I wanna have hope but i just don’t know anymore:crying:

Archived