Can we talk about why everything is so dark...

MoonKnight21

I turned my brightness up and it was still dark, they spent all that time filming the battle but I felt that I missed so much of it.

I get it was a night battle so I was not expecting it to be perfect viewing conditions but it was hard to see some of the fighting outside the walls of winterfell in particular.

Darkness and the character's inability to see was a clear theme of the episode. The dragons couldn't see to attack, the Dothraki couldn't see what they were riding into. The Unsullied, known for their fearlessness, were nearly pissing themselves with fright as they couldn't even see what they were about to fight.

5 hours ago, xander_blackfyre said:

I turned my brightness up and it was still dark, they spent all that time filming the battle but I felt that I missed so much of it.

I get it was a night battle so I was not expecting it to be perfect viewing conditions but it was hard to see some of the fighting outside the walls of winterfell in particular.

i've seen this common complaint to the point of people making memes out of this episode about it. you need to adjust the contrast settings. that will change the intensity of black & darker colors in contrast to brighter colors. the brightness setting is little to no help in resolving that problem. if possible, adjusting the backlight settings on your tv/monitor/etc may also help.

It was done for the effect of experiencing the battle the way the troops were, but they went overboard. Actually it was mostly too dark in the beginning, and becomes normal as we get scenes from within the walls. I changed my TV settings to movie mode which alters contrast / brightness / back light settings for optimal viewing in darkness. I also closed the curtains to make the TV the brightest thing in the room, that helped a lot. 

On 4/29/2019 at 9:09 AM, tallTale said:

Darkness and the character's inability to see was a clear theme of the episode. The dragons couldn't see to attack, the Dothraki couldn't see what they were riding into. The Unsullied, known for their fearlessness, were nearly pissing themselves with fright as they couldn't even see what they were about to fight.

I agree I was sitting on my coffee table a foot from the television two minutes into the episode but that was more of an I have to see every second I can't contain my anxiety problem than an I can't see anything problem.. I saw everything I just couldn't process it or be close enough to it. 

1 hour ago, Red Dragon10 said:

I found it OK...I was watching it in HD and our TV is ultra HD so maybe that helped?  But yeah, definitely dark. 

I'm still chuckling about how the "long night" ended up being the shortest night ever!  

Yea, I had it on HD and it was still really dark. Oh I get the theme but still there were times when I couldn't tell who was fighting or dying. It could've been lightened a tad & still given us that same feeling.

The darkness, winter storm and light from various fires I thought made for an amazing spectacle.  Upon rewatch on a better stream that is.  Initial watching the blur of the compression I think took away from the effect a bit.  Highly recommend watching again with better settings.  

I've watched it three times, twice on my phone and once on my laptop.  While it was certainly darker on my phone than on my laptop, I seriously couldn't say that it was too dark on either device, and I could quite clearly see what was going on all of the time.

I did watch fullscreen on both so that may have helped.  I expect that if you were watching in a window, with a lot of white or other brighter colours around it, then you'd have a harder time seeing it, but that's contrast, not darkness, and that's coming from other screen elements, not the show.

6 hours ago, Bradam said:

The point is you shouldn't have to adjust the TV.. 

https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2019/4/30/18524679/game-of-thrones-battle-of-winterfell-too-dark-fabian-wagner-response-cinematographer

Yeah f that guy..  he needs to be fired immediately and never aloud near a camera ever again.

When the fans complain - blame the fans! Solid strategy.

I've been seeing a lot of people talking about the stream being the problem. Compression, stream rate at peak hours, etc. I watched again after the premier and it was much better. I get that they want to film it to look as good as possible, but you also have to account for tech and how most people consume your show. First impressions count.

Archived