Death scene: Jorah Mormont

Kajjo

Let us focus on discussing the important death scenes in separate threads to honor our lost characters and talk about how you liked the scene, its circumstances, prior foreshadowing and possible consequences. One thread for our each of our beloved characters.

This one is about Jorah Mormont. Only him.

I really like Jorah's death scene. It fits his whole arc, his unfulfilled love to Daenerys. I bet, if he had wished for his death in a certain manner then it would have been dying protecting, defending and successfully saving Daenerys, the woman he adored and loved.

He fought valiantly, competent and refuses to give up even if their case was almost lost. He dies after he realises that he saved Daenerys.

The scene was well done. His arc closed. I am satisfied with this ending. They couldn't have done it better.

How do you feel about this scene?

I thought it was done very well - he loved her and from his telling her his thoughts on Tyrion as Hand, Sansa as an ally and his stand against the zombies showed her that it wasn't the selfish view he had years before.

Yes, and we understood the foreshadowing correctly, too. His last advice to Daenerys, about keeping Tyrion and talking with Sansa. And then protecting her till his death, successfully saving her. Great arc, all in all.

I thought the scene was well done, and his character arc ended how it should, with him saving Dany, the one he has loved.  I don't have much to add regarding the scene.

But I have some related additional thoughts:

A part of me thought he would live on and become the 1000th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch (follow in his father's footsteps).  But now with the Night King now defeated, the Wildlings intermixed with the Northern population and a part of the wall fallen, the Night's Watch is no longer needed.

With Lyanna's death as well, it appears we have lost House Mormont.

Dany has already seemed isolated in her relationships.  With the death of Jorah, she will be even more isolated now.

3 minutes ago, A Time for Starks said:

the Night's Watch is no longer needed.

Yes, I expect the Night's Watch to be history and not needed anymore.

3 minutes ago, A Time for Starks said:

With Lyanna's death as well, it appears we have lost House Mormont.

Yeah, unfortunately, it looks like it.

Minus some of the bad editing in how Jorah would in different scenes be outside the walls, then inside the walls, then outside the walls all while endless numbers of roving undead were flooding through the gates, I thought his actual death was the best one of the named characters in the show.  

3 hours ago, SuperMario said:

Minus some of the bad editing in how Jorah would in different scenes be outside the walls, then inside the walls, then outside the walls

I will focus on that for the next rewatch this evening.

3 hours ago, SuperMario said:

Minus some of the bad editing in how Jorah would in different scenes be outside the walls, then inside the walls, then outside the walls all while endless numbers of roving undead were flooding through the gates, I thought his actual death was the best one of the named characters in the show.  

There’s more than one gate. It might not have been completely explained but it’s not implausible. 

I didn't like that Jorah randomly came out of nowhere to save Dany (but at this point, whatever). His death scene definitely made sense and it was nice to see him really try to fight off everyone for the person he loved and I was happy to see Dany's reaction to it, it made sense.

I think Jorah got a better sendoff than Barristan Selmy did for sure.

I kinda saw Jorah dying this episode, so it didn't catch me off guard, but still sad to see. The one thing that MAY upset me in the future. Is that if Jorah's last-ish advice to Dany was to trust Tyrion, and it turns out Tyrion betrays everyone, I will be a bit disappointed. I just don't want Jorah to be remembered as the one who gave the awful advice to trust Tyrion.

I thought it was the most well done death last night.  While I hoped Jorah would survive, I was pretty confident that he would not.  And I thought this was a very appropriate way to go out.  I was thankful that he was portrayed as very competent and valiant.  Daenerys would be dead if he hadn't been there.  He lay down his life for her "and greater love has no one but this:  to lay down one's life for one's friends".  

Just now, btfu806 said:

and I was happy to see Dany's reaction to it

Yes, it was nice that Daenerys showed so much emotion and sorrow. She liked him very much, albeit she didn't love him.

What a perfect scene for Jorah to leave the show.

Just now, Kajjo said:

Yes, it was nice that Daenerys showed so much emotion and sorrow. She liked him very much, albeit she didn't love him.

Exactly. It was well done that part. Because if she did something as stupid as saying, I have always loved him as more than a friend. Or something. It would have ruined it.

But they obviously were dear friends, practically family, with everything they went through together. That part of last night just made sense. It was refreshing.

14 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

I think she absolutely loved him, more than almost anyone else in her life...but platonic love, not romantic love. 

Perfect death for his character. Story arc complete, achievement unlocked: Lord of Friendzone. 

Jorah will be missed, but I can't fathom a better way for him to go.
He got his important last meeting with her last episode, and this episode he did what he always wanted to do: die while serving and defending her.

It was also nice to see Daenerys show so much raw emotion. Anyone who has suffered immense loss and sorrow in real life can tell you that when something like this happens (loss of a best friend, parent, sibling, child, etc.), something within shatters and that person will never fully be the same again. I believe we saw something shatter within Daenerys on-screen. 

I kinda chuckled when I in hindsight realized that Jorah's last words was "I'm hurt", and that he died the way Jamie wanted to die: In the arms of the woman he loved. 

Archived