Death scene: Jorah Mormont

Kajjo

Jorah went out a hero. It's a bit sad they never got together to tell you the truth. No one would have loved Dany like Jorah would have.

Also, a big shout out to Dany for picking up the dragon glass and showing off her combat moves. She didn't hide behind a rock like some other characters..

7 minutes ago, Zumbs said:

Did you notice Drogon at the end, landing silently, lying down protectively while reflecting Daenerys' sadness?

Yes, it was great.

7 minutes ago, Zumbs said:

I do not remember any of the dragons displaying that kind of emotion?

I think Drogon showed some emotions before, back in Meeren out in the rural area. And think about the Jon-Daenery kissing scene.

not gonna lie was totally gutted/heartbroken I wanted him to live to be her commander of the kingsguard but it wasn't to be... it's true you don't know what you've got till it's gone and I think Dany will truly realise how much he meant to her now he is gone... father figure/conflicted love for sure.

He didn't actually come out of nowhere, he heard her in danger in one of the scenes and I take it he made his way to her, Dany was great too she really had his back despite not having seen any battle prior to it, the fact he remained standing despite visibly dying until he knew she was saved showed he was on another level of love for the girl than any other in the show maybe even more so than snow.

The Dragon touching down and making no noise was a nice touch almost like it loved him for how much he looked out for his mother... Jorah was the best step daddy lol.

Episode should have been called Death of the Islanders... Jorah,Lyanna,Theon….

8 hours ago, SuperMario said:

Minus some of the bad editing in how Jorah would in different scenes be outside the walls, then inside the walls, then outside the walls all while endless numbers of roving undead were flooding through the gates, I thought his actual death was the best one of the named characters in the show.  

Agreed completely.

\Perfect end for Jorah, could be a good plot set up if Danny does go Mad Queen. What better way to start the descent then having the one person who tells her what she needs to hear go, someone so loyal who isn't trying to play her. You can say similar with Jon but they haven't built a relationship for eight series and have a conflict of interest. Funny enough Jon and Danny just don't mash as a couple, its been done because that's where it was always going but Dany had better connection with Jorah, Drogo and Dario and Jon and Ygrite had better screen connection. Not sure if its written that way but seems more like the actors don't portray it well.

Anyway back to Jorah, if you were gonna write a death for him then that was it, basically how he should have went. 

1 hour ago, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

not gonna lie was totally gutted/heartbroken I wanted him to live to be her commander of the kingsguard but it wasn't to be... it's true you don't know what you've got till it's gone and I think Dany will truly realise how much he meant to her now he is gone... father figure/conflicted love for sure.

He didn't actually come out of nowhere, he heard her in danger in one of the scenes and I take it he made his way to her, Dany was great too she really had his back despite not having seen any battle prior to it, the fact he remained standing despite visibly dying until he knew she was saved showed he was on another level of love for the girl than any other in the show maybe even more so than snow.

The Dragon touching down and making no noise was a nice touch almost like it loved him for how much he looked out for his mother... Jorah was the best step daddy lol.

Episode should have been called Death of the Islanders... Jorah,Lyanna,Theon….

Thoughts on his final words?

15 minutes ago, nyser1 said:

Thoughts on his final words?

did he actually have any ? sounded like a man trying to get his last breath. what did you think he was trying to say/do ?

Still raging he is gone! there is so many other characters with less to give to the story and some only been around a few seasons.

The obvious ones still around that are important going on... Jon,Dany,Arya,Bran,Sansa,Jaime,Brienne,Hound,Tyrion etc.....

But Greyworm ? Tormund ? even Davos and it would be sore for me to lose him but he doesn't seem to have any purpose left to him other than walk about talking guff with Tyrion and Varys...

Just now, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

did he actually have any ? sounded like a man trying to get his last breath. what did you think he was trying to say/do ?

Still raging he is gone! there is so many other characters with less to give to the story and some only been around a few seasons.

The obvious ones still around that are important going on... Jon,Dany,Arya,Bran,Sansa,Jaime,Brienne,Hound,Tyrion etc.....

But Greyworm ? Tormund ? even Davos and it would be sore for me to lose him but he doesn't seem to have any purpose left to him other than walk about talking guff with Tyrion and Varys...

I could see that. I thought he was telling her he loved her or one last "Khaleesi". I feared this would happen, though I too would have liked to have seen him make it to at least the last episode.

Tormund got hurt (he always gets hurt: Battle of Castle Black, battle of the bastards, beyond the wall, he is at the Shadowtower, etc) but survives. Davos a bit of a WTH since he keeps saying he cannot fight.

11 hours ago, Kajjo said:

Let us focus on discussing the important death scenes in separate threads to honor our lost characters and talk about how you liked the scene, its circumstances, prior foreshadowing and possible consequences. One thread for our each of our beloved characters.

This one is about Jorah Mormont. Only him.

I really like Jorah's death scene. It fits his whole arc, his unfulfilled love to Daenerys. I bet, if he had wished for his death in a certain manner then it would have been dying protecting, defending and successfully saving Daenerys, the woman he adored and loved.

He fought valiantly, competent and refuses to give up even if their case was almost lost. He dies after he realises that he saved Daenerys.

The scene was well done. His arc closed. I am satisfied with this ending. They couldn't have done it better.

How do you feel about this scene?

Couldn't agree more. Very fitting ending that he would for sure be proud of. One of the better (waiting to see if the best) story arc endings

Just now, nyser1 said:

I could see that. I thought he was telling her he loved her or one last "Khaleesi". I feared this would happen, though I too would have liked to have seen him make it to at least the last episode.

Tormund got hurt (he always gets hurt: Battle of Castle Black, battle of the bastards, beyond the wall, he is at the Shadowtower, etc) but survives. Davos a bit of a WTH since he keeps saying he cannot fight.

Davos is top 5 characters for me, but since his days with Stannis he has basically just slotted into Jons story and has obviously played a part in it, but there are smarter men still alive to help with Cersei, there are also better fighters... I just don't see how he is going to contribute anything going forward that couldn't be contributed by someone else.....

What Jorah gave to Dany no one could match and he is one of the OG's season 1.... anyhoo he's gone now aslong as Bronn and Tyrion make it ill not tear my house up :laugh:

4 minutes ago, nyser1 said:

:laugh:

7 hours ago, Kajjo said:

Yes, it was nice that Daenerys showed so much emotion and sorrow. She liked him very much, albeit she didn't love him.

What a perfect scene for Jorah to leave the show.

Of course she loved him, just not romantically. There are many types of love.

7 hours ago, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

Dany was great too she really had his back despite not having seen any battle prior to it, the fact he remained standing despite visibly dying until he knew she was saved showed he was on another level of love for the girl than any other in the show maybe even more so than snow.

Never underestimate the power of friendship™.

And I agree; Daenerys showing that she shares blood with the valyrian warrior-queens of old and aren't afraid to fight in hand to hand combat when push comes to shove was both refreshing and surprising. She fought for Jorah just as he fought for her.
Nice to see her not cower behind a rock like some other characters...

Archived