My theory of Bran's warging scene

the red god

i was wondering what the point of bran's warging scene was until i watched the after credits rundown of the episode. david benioff explains a vital detail in the night king's death. he could not simply be killed with valyrian steel; he had to be stabbed in the same area where the children of the forest stuck the dragonglass into him. my guess is that bran, having the very unique ability to warg into humans and the knowledge of arya being one of the deadliest assassins in the seven kingdoms, relayed this information to her knowing that she would be capable of sneaking up on the night king. i think this was also hinted in the first episode where she manages to sneak up on jon unheard and unnoticed.

16 minutes ago, the red god said:

relayed this information to her knowing that she would be capable of sneaking up on the night king

If this were true they should have shown us. We do not know that Bran can communicate with Arya by telepathy. It never happened so far. So, no, I don't think so.

Secondly, Bran already saw the creation scene and knew about the dagger to the heart. He would not have needed to do so again.

Arya just stabs him in the upper torso and Valyrian steel does its work. I see it as simply as that. I guess DD overdo it a little bit in the interview. The Nightking dies as the First White Walker. Nothing more, nothing less. 

1 minute ago, Kajjo said:

We do not know that Bran can communicate with Arya by telepathy. It never happened so far. So, no, I don't think so.

he did it with hodor to a much more extreme degree. i'm guessing that over time he may have been able to hone his skills to the point of not scrambling their minds in the process.

Just now, the red god said:

he did it with hodor to a much more extreme degree.

No, he warged into Hodor, taking over his body, simply using or abusing it for his means.

But he never communicated with Hodor as he would have needed with Arya in the sense of communication, telepathy or the like.

Arya killed the Night King, not Bran being warged into Arya. I don't think so. Aryas eyes were not white -- and that is the sign of "being possessed".

6 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

Aryas eyes were not white -- and that is the sign of "being possessed".

yeah, i wasn't saying that he took control over her body. at least not in that scene. and what happened to hodor was a result of bran's naivety of his powers, not the three-eyed crow/raven. i'm saying that at some point (which we haven't seen), he relayed to her the same images that he saw in season 7 of how the night king came to be. if what benioff is saying is true, there's absolutely no other way she could have known how to kill him. why he couldn't have told her this earlier is one factor that might not make this the case.

5 minutes ago, SuperMario said:

So in essence, another scene that was told and not shown. And even worse, it wasn't even told in the show. It was told in the "Outside" the episode with D&D. Dumb.

and the fact that it was all over so quickly! 7 seasons of building up to this moment and it's just a single stab to the chest in a "gotcha" moment? maisie already proved that she's more than capable of doing fight scenes too. such a wasted potential.

6 minutes ago, SuperMario said:

So in essence, another scene that was told and not shown. And even worse, it wasn't even told in the show. It was told in the "Outside" the episode with D&D. Dumb.

This is the problem I have with D&D sometimes. While I love the show, they seem to tell different stories in interviews then what they showed the viewers in their actual show. 

I don't believe in all the D&D interview stuff.

Arya killed him with Valyrian steel. That's all. That is what is shown in the show and that counts. It is believable and makes sense. D&D is just over-doing it with the "same position" stuff. This is nonsense.

She could have stuck the dagger in his eyes, too, no other outcome. 

9 minutes ago, SuperMario said:

Dunno. I saw her stab him, in the heart. I can join the dots, speculate, whatever. I don't need to see Bran (or Sam or Mel) giving her instructions beforehand, then you'd just get people complain that it's too much spoiler.

2 hours ago, the red god said:

i was wondering what the point of bran's warging scene was until i watched the after credits rundown of the episode. david benioff explains a vital detail in the night king's death. he could not simply be killed with valyrian steel; he had to be stabbed in the same area where the children of the forest stuck the dragonglass into him. my guess is that bran, having the very unique ability to warg into humans and the knowledge of arya being one of the deadliest assassins in the seven kingdoms, relayed this information to her knowing that she would be capable of sneaking up on the night king. i think this was also hinted in the first episode where she manages to sneak up on jon unheard and unnoticed.

How did he relay that information to Arya?  I'm sorry but if that was their intention, they should have shown it on screen because now it just looks stupid.

Sure dude.

They will explain it all in a spin off series, or some other books, an animated series, just like star wars.

Are you seriously trying to pretend they didn't ruin it?

and the fact that it was all over so quickly! 7 seasons of building up to this moment and it's just a single stab to the chest in a "gotcha" moment? maisie already proved that she's more than capable of doing fight scenes too. such a wasted potential.

I'm more annoyed that we have had this brooding, silent enemy that at no point has given any indication of having an agency other than "kill all humans". Yes, there has been indications that he was wronged, but there is a lot of ground from "getting revenge" to "kill all humans".

• 2 months later...
If you have read the books, do you remember this?

The best way was to start from the godswood, shinny up the tall sentinel, and cross over the armory and the guards hall, leaping roof to roof, barefoot so the guards wouldn't hear you overhead. That brought you up to the blind side of the First Keep, the oldest part of the castle, a squat round fortress that was taller than it looked... the old stones still made for good climbing. You could go straight up to where the gargoyles leaned out blindly over empty space, and swing from gargoyle to gargoyle, hand over hand, around to the north side. From there, if you really stretched, you could reach out and pull yourself over to the broken tower where it leaned close. The last part was the scramble up the blackened stones to the eyrie, no more than ten feet, and then the crows would come round..."
Bran II, aGoT

It is the way that Bran used to climp. This is how he found Jaime and Cersie. So I think that now Arya did the same but the opposite way.
Bran is actually warging the same crows and watches the whole battle through their eyes. That's why he is trying to buy some time making Theon fight the NK. And also Jon is looking up trying to see where Arya is, and distracts the NK's dragon.
The one who might "communicates" with both Arya and Jon is Melisandre.

• 9 months later...

For those who believe that the way in which Arya killed the Night King was a big let down, I say, "Sorry to hear that."

I think most of us missed the scene that showed to all of us on how the Night King could be killed.  There was only one way for the Night King to be killed.

It was in season 6 episode 3.  This is the episode where the 3 eyed raven was showing the Bran the vision of Ned Stark and his crew fighting Sir Arthur Dayne.  Yes, it did show us that Ned lied about how he killed Sir Arthur Dayne.  However, that is not what the 3 eyed raven was trying to show Bran.  He was trying to show Bran that the only way to kill a superb fighter, of any kind, is to "SNEAK UP ON THEM"

In season 6 episode 5, the 3 eyed raven was showing Bran the vision of his grandfather passing wisdom onto his father Ned Stark before he left for the Eyrie.  His grandfather told Ned, "Do not get into fights.  But, if you have to fight,  ..........WIN!"

This is where the 3 eyed raven was stressing this main point to Bran that when it comes to fighting the Night King, you must CHEAT!!!

This was the only way they could win against the Night King.  The Night King was just too good to be defeated by anyone.  Even Jon Snow who killed 2 white walkers.  The Night King is too cunning, strong and deadly to fight honorably.  This is what Game of Thrones was trying to show us since season 1 when Bronn defeated the vale knight dishonorably.

In other words, the 3 eyed Raven said to Bran, the only way to beat the Night King is to Sneak up on him with his back turn and then plunge the dagger into his heart from someone who can move stealthily.  He simply told Bran to cheat.

And, it makes so much sense.

Archived