Death scene: Lyanna Mormont

Kajjo

Let us focus on discussing the important death scenes in separate threads to honor our lost characters and talk about how you liked the scene, its circumstances, prior foreshadowing and possible consequences. One thread for our each of our beloved characters.

This one is about Lyanna Mormont. Only her.

Some beloved characters had to go and Lyanna did in a perfect way, I believe. She was fighting ferociously like the Little Bear from Bear island she was. 

As D&D tell in the after-show interview it was fan service to keep this character and great child actress longer than originally planned as a one-scene only. She had only a few scenes, but they were always performed so well, so emotional in the cold-direct Northern manner.

And she died killing a giant with a dragon glass dagger. So all the dragon glass weapons proofed to be useful, the giant crumbled immediately. Another one of the death scenes that was perfect and honored both the character and the actress.  She was just a minor character and she gets several very short scenes and a short, concise death scene. Excellent.

There is so much ranting about each episode and many decisions of D&D, but the death scenes of Lyanna Mormont and Jorah Mormont couldn't have been better in my eyes.

How did you like this scene and Lyanna's arc?

2 minutes ago, bloodsteel bitterraven said:

It doesn't matter.  House Tyrell, House Martell, House Baratheon, House Tully are all dead on the show and no one gives a damn.  Who is ruling in the Reach?  In Dorne?  In the Stormlands?  Does it even matter?

House Tully is not dead. Edmure still lives.

7 minutes ago, bloodsteel bitterraven said:

House Tyrell, House Martell, House Baratheon, House Tully

House Tyrell is extinct and some of the inhabitant of the Reach will be sad, some might be pleased. The world goes on anyway. The show focuses currently on "Living against the Dead", not on the destiny of Houses.  House Baratheon's bloodline is not dead, Gendry is alive. For bloodline the bastard status does not matter. House Tully is not dead, both Edmure and his son are alive as far as we know. The bloodline continues.

Please let this thread be about Lyanna Mormont.

6 minutes ago, bloodsteel bitterraven said:

And we know absolutely nothing about where he is or what he is doing.

Last we knew he was alive and Roslin supposedly with child. That's all we need to know that House Tully is not dead.

I mean, Lyanna killing the giant before her death was pretty predictable. To me, in the show she was always a little girl who they wanted to be a bad ass and that's how she died. Not much of an arc. Hopefully they talk about Bear Island still having some bloodline ruling there or something. She died better than others have on the show, much better than Ed. So there's that...

3 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

House Tyrell is extinct and some of the inhabitant of the Reach will be sad, some might be pleased. The world goes on anyway. The show focuses currently on "Living against the Dead", not on the destiny of Houses.  House Baratheon's bloodline is not dead, Gendry is alive. For bloodline the bastard status does not matter. House Tully is not dead, both Edmure and his son are alive as far as we know. The bloodline continues.

Please let this thread be about Lyanna Mormont.

I will let it be about Lyanna (this is the last post I'm making here).  You say the show focuses on the living against the dead. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It focuses on the war against Cersei and Euron.  The dead were dealt with in one episode.  The Night King was the villain of the week.  I'm done.

1 minute ago, btfu806 said:

always a little girl who they wanted to be a bad ass and that's how she died. Not much of an arc.

She was a very minor figure intended to a once-scene-only occurence. They did some more scenes with her because so many watchers liked her and the young actress did an excellent job. 

Of course her arc is short. We can be glad there was an arc at all. And this short arc was done very well. I appreciate that D&D did this. Just some seconds, but it made the whole episode a bit better.

I know for my part when the giant showed up I thought "Tormund, here is your moment, Giantsbane,"  So I was a little disappointed that Lyanna took out the giant instead.  Plus it felt unlikely that the giant would pick her up and not instantly kill but instead bring her up to his face to, eat her? 

I also am a little confused about how dragonglass works against the wights.  I had gotten the impression that it disrupted the magic that brought them back, and so just a nick would have been enough to bring it down.  But it was portrayed that she still needed to strike a killing blow.  I guess I must have been mistaken, it would not be the first time I thought something about this show only to be proven unequivocally wrong.

Lyannas death was probably the one in this episode who gave me the biggest WTF-moment.
Not that it happened, but the way it happened. It was violent, horrific, and totally badass. 
She put her money where her mouth is and showed that yelling at adults wasn't her only skill.

I also expected either Jorah or Lyanna to survive, and since I managed to get Jorah's death spoiled before even watching the damn episode, her death had an even bigger impact than it otherwise would have. 

1 minute ago, MinscS2 said:

who gave me the biggest WTF-moment.
Not that it happened, but the way it happened. It was violent, horrific, and totally badass. 

Yes, a great death scene for just a minor character. Well deserved. We will remember her.

16 minutes ago, Bran the Shipper said:

I know for my part when the giant showed up I thought "Tormund, here is your moment, Giantsbane,"  So I was a little disappointed that Lyanna took out the giant instead.  Plus it felt unlikely that the giant would pick her up and not instantly kill but instead bring her up to his face to, eat her? 

I also am a little confused about how dragonglass works against the wights.  I had gotten the impression that it disrupted the magic that brought them back, and so just a nick would have been enough to bring it down.  But it was portrayed that she still needed to strike a killing blow.  I guess I must have been mistaken, it would not be the first time I thought something about this show only to be proven unequivocally wrong.

Not to mention before he picked her up he smacked her out of the way. That should also have killed, if not severely wounded her. Instead she charges and he picks her up not killing her. It was bad fan service for a character that jumped the shark after her first appearance.

It was a good death scene, faithful to her character, but my primary reaction was relief that she is gone now. She was fun at first, but they went WAY OVERBOARD with that character. Having a 10-year-old girl lead battle preparations and shouting out orders to seasoned warriors and officers is jumping the shark in a large way. I was afraid it was going to get worse and worse.

10 hours ago, Hodor's Dragon said:

It was a good death scene, faithful to her character, but my primary reaction was relief that she is gone now. She was fun at first, but they went WAY OVERBOARD with that character. Having a 10-year-old girl lead battle preparations and shouting out orders to seasoned warriors and officers is jumping the shark in a large way. I was afraid it was going to get worse and worse.

Was little Lyanna supposed to be 10 or (by this season) a whopping 12 years?  Either way, it made no sense to me that she is ruling on her own without a regent; she's a child, even being mature and smart for her age, she is not yet qualified to make all the decisions for Bear Island.  By rights and customs (and good sense), she should have been allowed to be a figurehead/morale booster only, then whisked off to the Crypts, tied up and guarded if she made a fuss.  

As for Lyanna's glorious ending, it was fan-pleasing, but hard to believe.  A slender child manages, as her ribs are being crushed into her lungs, to summon enough upper-body strength to stab a zombie giant in the eye while being gripped in his huge hand? (I can't remember if she threw the weapon into his eye or stabbed directly)  Clegane or Brienne might have been able to pull that off, but a skinny kid?  It was another girl-power-conquers-physical-reality moment similar to the episode where Arya survives being gut-stabbed and jumping into filthy water without antibiotics.  

Archived