Death scene: Lyanna Mormont

Kajjo

I don’t know who exactly is running Winterfell but I hope they know they are an irredeemable psychopath. 

Lyanna’s death did nothing for me except invoke limitless rage that these war-seasoned grownups left a 10 year old child out in a massacre to die. 

It is in no way heroic to leave a 10 year old child to die in a zombie massacre because she has a big mouth and she says so. Lyanna Mormont had no fucking idea what was coming. Jon did. Davos did. Gendry did. Sam, the NW, the wildlings, Daenerys, the Hound, Melisandre, Beric and Gilly and GODDAMN JORAH all did. And none of them told Lyanna to shut her fucking mouth, listen to her elders and go to the crypts to survive. 

28 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

I don’t know who exactly is running Winterfell but I hope they know they are an irredeemable psychopath. 

Lyanna’s death did nothing for me except invoke limitless rage that these war-seasoned grownups left a 10 year old child out in a massacre to die. 

It is in no way heroic to leave a 10 year old child to die in a zombie massacre because she has a big mouth and she says so. Lyanna Mormont had no fucking idea what was coming. Jon did. Davos did. Gendry did. Sam, the NW, the wildlings, Daenerys, the Hound, Melisandre, Beric and Gilly and GODDAMN JORAH all did. And none of them told Lyanna to shut her fucking mouth, listen to her elders and go to the crypts to survive. 

Definitely!  In the 'real' Westeros, Lyanna would have had a regent who would have limited her role and sent her down to the Crypts (with a guard to assure she didn't go off to fight in the main battle).  I don't care how badass or smart the kid was, no way would a ten or twelve year old have been allowed to rule anywhere on her own.

1 minute ago, Raksha 2014 said:

Definitely!  In the 'real' Westeros, Lyanna would have had a regent who would have limited her role and sent her down to the Crypts (with a guard to assure she didn't go off to fight in the main battle).  I don't care how badass or smart the kid was, no way would a ten or twelve year old have been allowed to rule anywhere on her own.

Rule, fine. I’m sure they were okay with her playing ruler over her 63 men. Why the hell not? There weren’t really stakes. 

But the battle. The child was out in the battle. The blood, the screams, the fire, the zombies, the dying men, the zombies, the death, the zombies, the blood, the zombies, the corpses. Who in the right mind would ever allow such thing and why am I expected to celebrate her “badass” and “heroic” and “feminist” and “equal rights” and “sassy” brutal killing by a dead giant? What a sick, disgusting callback to David and Goliat as if the two situations were even nearly comparable. What a sick, disgusting message. 

I like her character but all the things that she did in this episode was too unbelievable for me to invest. I even got annoyed. She has duty to her house as the last of the blood line and I agree with Raksha that she should get tied up in the crypt and I imagine it should be either Sandor or Jorah who did it.

She lived up to her houses motto, “Here We Stand”.  She stood her ground and did not run away.  She was a perfect example of a Northern Woman, strong, independent, and not afraid to get her hands dirty.  Although they are far apart, the North and Dorne are very similar.  They have their own customs that are very different from the rest of Westeros and they teach the woman to be true to who they are.

On 4/29/2019 at 12:12 PM, Bran the Shipper said:

I know for my part when the giant showed up I thought "Tormund, here is your moment, Giantsbane,"  So I was a little disappointed that Lyanna took out the giant instead.  Plus it felt unlikely that the giant would pick her up and not instantly kill but instead bring her up to his face to, eat her? 

I also am a little confused about how dragonglass works against the wights.  I had gotten the impression that it disrupted the magic that brought them back, and so just a nick would have been enough to bring it down.  But it was portrayed that she still needed to strike a killing blow.  I guess I must have been mistaken, it would not be the first time I thought something about this show only to be proven unequivocally wrong.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I felt like that whole Lyanna scene was nothing more than fan service. As I mentioned in the Rant and Rave thread, you had this undead giant bust into the castle, using his arms as battering rams and scattering fully armored men left and right. If I'm not mistaken, this also initially included Lyanna.

Then miraculously, she's there before him. The giant picks her up, and the sound of cracking bones is heard. I guess that made the undead giant hungry, because instead of just hurling her over the castle walls (or just ignoring her altogether), he decides to eat her. Absolutely ridiculous, but that's just my opinion...

19 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

And none of them told Lyanna to shut her fucking mouth, listen to her elders and go to the crypts to survive. 

To be fair, she probably would have died in the crypts. Being stubborn, and trying to fight, while the others insisted she hid.

4 minutes ago, Nihiloth90 said:

To be fair, she probably would have died in the crypts. Being stubborn, and trying to fight, while the others insisted she hid.

That’s not really the point though. My problem is they didn’t try to save her. 

I can't be the only 1 who thought this character was too over the top from the beginning.  Yes, we get you are some hardnosed 10 year old, where is your regent?  This isn't the some disney flick.  How can anyone be taking orders from this woman like she is leading a troop?  Just cant really believe it sadly, too far fetched, and to be quite frank, just cheesey.  It wasn't bad to begin with, but then the hardnosed character was just hammered down.  There are so many other fleshed out characters who could have used the spotlight.

I thought it was pretty good. I like how she was just slapped aside by the giant and then comes back kill him. I think it was pretty obvious once she stood up that she was going to kill him, just a matter of how.

On 4/29/2019 at 3:53 PM, RhaenysBee said:

Two 10 year old children out in a massacre to die.  Don't forget about Alys Karstark being assigned to Team Certain Death under the command of Theon Greyjoy for some reason.

At least Lyanna got to die on camera and had a couple lines

On 4/30/2019 at 12:53 AM, RhaenysBee said:

these war-seasoned grownups left a 10 year old child out in a massacre to die. 

She dies with 13 years. Some time has passed since her first scene.

Secondly, she is the Lady and decide on her own, whether it sensible or not.

On 4/30/2019 at 12:53 AM, RhaenysBee said:

Lyanna Mormont had no fucking idea what was coming.

Why so? She had the same knowledge as most others.

On 4/29/2019 at 10:44 AM, bloodsteel bitterraven said:

It doesn't matter.  House Tyrell, House Martell, House Baratheon, House Tully are all dead on the show and no one gives a damn.  Who is ruling in the Reach?  In Dorne?  In the Stormlands?  Does it even matter?

Edmure is alive in the Frey dungeon, living off rats and wall moisture. Either that, or Jaime tucked him somewhere else when Casterly Rock was abandoned. 

7 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

Secondly, she is the Lady and decide on her own, whether it sensible or not.

If it were her castle. Winterfell is Jon's, or Sansa's. Can't tell.

There's no reason any number of the responsible people outranking her couldn't order her behind the lines or in the crypts. And they should have, because she was an idiot. Jon wouldn't have let her fight in the Battle of the Bastards, and he shouldn't have here. 

11 hours ago, Howland Reed said:

I can't be the only 1 who thought this character was too over the top from the beginning.  Yes, we get you are some hardnosed 10 year old, where is your regent?  This isn't the some disney flick.  How can anyone be taking orders from this woman like she is leading a troop?  Just cant really believe it sadly, too far fetched, and to be quite frank, just cheesey.  It wasn't bad to begin with, but then the hardnosed character was just hammered down.  There are so many other fleshed out characters who could have used the spotlight.

She was over the top after the Battle of the Bastards. But I liked her first scene, where she belittled Jon and Sansa but gave her 60 good men away anyhow. After that, they made her into a meme. 

14 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

Why so? She had the same knowledge as most others.

Most, yes. But her king knew better. So did her cousin. And if they had been consulted: Sam, Ed maybe, Tormund, the Hound Beric, Gendry a bit, Danny, and whatever leftover Night's Watchmen and Wildlings  may have encountered the dead before. 

24 minutes ago, darmody said:

She was over the top after the Battle of the Bastards. But I liked her first scene, where she belittled Jon and Sansa but gave her 60 good men away anyhow. After that, they made her into a meme. 

Agreed.

The first batting of her by the giant should have killed her.  But no, she gets up and is picked up by the giant (because reasons|) and we hear her bones crack (ribs? pelvis? spine?) but she can still lean forward and stab him in the eye with a blade that was previously an axe.  :rolleyes:

It was silly and contrived fan service.

Archived