There HAS to be some kind of unexpected twist/turn

nborders

Blood magic is the twist.

Blood magic has not been confronted yet. And it is just as much of a problem as the Night King was. My guess is that either another Red Priest or Priestess shows up to lead team Dany astray, or Dany herself picks up Melisandre's choker and uses it or the ruby in it to harness Melisandre's powers, and this becomes a thing that pulls Dany towards questionable behaviour.

In E4 they need to take stock of their situation and develop a strategy against Cersei. Team Winterfell also needs to patch up some of their internal differences. There may even be an alliance-driven wedding. But most importantly, the small signs of the pull of blood and fire magic will begin to appear, as will the worry that causes for some characters, particularly Varys who was cut for blood magic, Gendry (if still alive?) who had to participate against his will once, and Davos who has been a sworn enemy of blood magic the whole series.

In E5 Cersei's army may be defeated, but not without help from blood magic which will involve its own kind of horror. This episode will likely also involve the death of a significant character for betraying Dany I suspect. Also either Dany, or Jon or both may die in this episode in battle.

E6 is not just a peace conference that goes sour, but also an episode where the characters need to grapple with the consequences of things like magic and dragons, and how dangerous these things are for people. It is an episode about how best to ensure both kinds of horror, Ice AND Fire do not return.

19 hours ago, btfu806 said:

Well GRRM told them of three big twists, and one happens at the end apparently. The popular theory is Tyrion's betrayal. That is probably what it will be, and hopefully it makes some sense, but I don't have high hopes.

I would guess that this next episode is just setting up for Cersei. Then I assume a battle with Cersei, then the fallout/end.

Was Arya killing the NK one of the three twists? How many of the three twists have we had? Is the Arya one the only one that has been revealed? 

31 minutes ago, maiden of tarth said:

Was Arya killing the NK one of the three twists? How many of the three twists have we had? Is the Arya one the only one that has been revealed? 

The actual quote was 'holy shit moments.' Burning Shireen was the first. Hodor's origin story was the second. 

Arya slaying the Night King might be the third, but who even knows if there is such a guy in the books? I guess we'll see.

8 hours ago, LucyMormont said:

You  have to admit that there would be a certain symmetry (in an distasteful way) in making both brothers to have committed parricide. :P

i have always thought there was a certain irony that the golden twins that Tywin loved so much might not even be his and that the son he despised was truly his. (In addition to both men having committed patricide)

6 minutes ago, Hound's She-wolf said:

i have always thought there was a certain irony that the golden twins that Tywin loved so much might not even be his and that the son he despised was truly his. (In addition to both men having committed patricide)

And both being in love with a woman who they knew could be monstrous....

Dany is not so obviously monstrous yet of course, but my hunch is she will take a dark turn, Tyrion will love her anyway etc. etc.

1 hour ago, Hippocras said:

Blood magic is the twist.

Blood magic has not been confronted yet. And it is just as much of a problem as the Night King was. My guess is that either another Red Priest or Priestess shows up to lead team Dany astray, or Dany herself picks up Melisandre's choker and uses it or the ruby in it to harness Melisandre's powers, and this becomes a thing that pulls Dany towards questionable behaviour.

In E4 they need to take stock of their situation and develop a strategy against Cersei. Team Winterfell also needs to patch up some of their internal differences. There may even be an alliance-driven wedding. But most importantly, the small signs of the pull of blood and fire magic will begin to appear, as will the worry that causes for some characters, particularly Varys who was cut for blood magic, Gendry (if still alive?) who had to participate against his will once, and Davos who has been a sworn enemy of blood magic the whole series.

In E5 Cersei's army may be defeated, but not without help from blood magic which will involve its own kind of horror. This episode will likely also involve the death of a significant character for betraying Dany I suspect. Also either Dany, or Jon or both may die in this episode in battle.

E6 is not just a peace conference that goes sour, but also an episode where the characters need to grapple with the consequences of things like magic and dragons, and how dangerous these things are for people. It is an episode about how best to ensure both kinds of horror, Ice AND Fire do not return.

Really cool ideas. I can get on board with these....except you've forgotten that Daenerys is no fan of blood magic either. Not only did it kill her husband and her son, but it also humiliated her and made her life exceptionally more difficult. Granted she is who she is today because of that hard, painful lesson but hey...it is what it is.

But judging from the way D&D treated the magical and religious stuff of the series (i.e. the red god, the old gods, blood magic, greenseeing, skinchanging, Faceless Men shape-shifting), I don't think D&D are going to care enough to end the series on a question of magic.

Because if that were true, they would've shown what Melisandre had been doing in Volantis. They would have talked about what exactly blood magic is and differentiated that from Melisandre's shadowbinding powers. Also, if they cared, they would not have wasted Bran like they have. Bran is our eyes and ears into the realm of the old gods, the Children of the Forest, the Others, magical blood of the Stark family, etc. but as we now know nothing really came of that.

7 hours ago, neutralbhad said:

D&D don't give a fuck about the Drowned God. Euron is just a tool for their plot to have a bad guy.

Well, so far, they've done a pretty bad job with Euron if his purpose is to just be a bad guy.

Think of how much time we wasted spent with sick, twisted Ramsay with all of his mustache twirling.

Euron has just been there.

1 hour ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Really cool ideas. I can get on board with these....except you've forgotten that Daenerys is no fan of blood magic either. Not only did it kill her husband and her son, but it also humiliated her and made her life exceptionally more difficult. Granted she is who she is today because of that hard, painful lesson but hey...it is what it is.

But judging from the way D&D treated the magical and religious stuff of the series (i.e. the red god, the old gods, blood magic, greenseeing, skinchanging, Faceless Men shape-shifting), I don't think D&D are going to care enough to end the series on a question of magic.

Because if that were true, they would've shown what Melisandre had been doing in Volantis. They would have talked about what exactly blood magic is and differentiated that from Melisandre's shadowbinding powers. Also, if they cared, they would not have wasted Bran like they have. Bran is our eyes and ears into the realm of the old gods, the Children of the Forest, the Others, magical blood of the Stark family, etc. but as we now know nothing really came of that.

I don't see Dany's story that way really. Without the deaths of her son and husband, her dragons would not have hatched. I rather suspect she knows that. She burned the witch alive in that fire with the dragon eggs because she knew that only death can pay for life.

She has shown VERY strong interest in learning how Jon was brought back to life. She wants to know how to do it.

3 hours ago, Anthony Pirtle said:

The actual quote was 'holy shit moments.' Burning Shireen was the first. Hodor's origin story was the second. 

Arya slaying the Night King might be the third, but who even knows if there is such a guy in the books? I guess we'll see.

I'm thinking Arya is the third "holy shit moment". There isn't a NK in the book but I suspect she will be the one that does something to stop the Army of the Dead. That means the rest of the season will be two girls fighting over a chair. Que the music

29 minutes ago, Bran Snow said:

I'm thinking Arya is the third "holy shit moment". There isn't a NK in the book but I suspect she will be the one that does something to stop the Army of the Dead. That means the rest of the season will be two girls fighting over a chair. Que the music

It isn't Arya. For one, D&D said they knew and decided for three years that Arya would be the one to kill the Night King. This was their creation. Not something George told them. And two, they previously said the third moment would be at the very end. This wasn't the very end. It has to involve Dany in some capacity.

I don't know if this has been suggested, but what if Bronn succeeds in killing either Jamie or Tyrion and dies attempting to kill the other? This then prompts the other to do anything in their power to retaliate on Cersei.

I think the flaming spiral and Jojen’s burning hand is still relevant. The red priests had major victory, the great sept has been blown up, and the queen they serve is about to take over the seven kingdoms.

Would Bran be fine with that? Or was this only the end of the first half of the battle?

Remember in the books Melisandre wants to burn the weirwoods.

23 minutes ago, Ordos said:

I don't know if this has been suggested, but what if Bronn succeeds in killing either Jamie or Tyrion and dies attempting to kill the other? This then prompts the other to do anything in their power to retaliate on Cersei.

I had a thought Bronn could actually kill Jaime. Would be silly enough after he saved him earlier. Then Brienne kills Bronn, Tyrion goes after Cersei.

My ideas usually are wrong though...

16 minutes ago, NonoNono said:

I think the flaming spiral and Jojen’s burning hand is still relevant. The red priests had major victory, the great sept has been blown up, and the queen they serve is about to take over the seven kingdoms.

Would Bran be fine with that? Or was this only the end of the first half of the battle?

Remember in the books Melisandre wants to burn the weirwoods.

I think Jojen's burning hand was just him seeing his death. I don't remember if the said it on the show but in the book, Jojen knows how he dies.

19 minutes ago, 7Silvers said:

Gilly's baby reanimates as the new NK, process starts all over again... 

Would work better if Arya is pregnant with an ice baby because she got touched by the Night King. That would be a pretty bitter sweet ending for her.

Archived