There HAS to be some kind of unexpected twist/turn

nborders

My recently cooked up idea is Gendry taking the throne after Jon and Dany die/get killed. He will be supported by his long-lost mother, Cersei. But Cersei won't live long to celebrate becoming the Queen Mother again.

JMaybe the big twist at the end is how the incestuous relationship of Jaime and Cersei which has been staring us in the face all along is revealed as them also being Targaryen... due to the alleged infidelity of their mother.... (and Tyrion was the only true Lannister all along.)... so Dany’s “Last of her Name”’s calling card is revealed as not only totally wrong... but the Iron Throne has therefore never not been under some level of Targaryen rule all along... and yet the seven kingdoms are in a mess because of it.

... so she realises that Targaryens are actually the problem and focuses again on smashing the wheel . (Which she’s curiously forgotten about since she started getting “bend the knee” fever) ... with Jon’s help, coz he doesn’t wanna be king either... and the rip the ruling dynasty out root and stem, and smash the iron throne.

and Jaime becomes kin-slayer, killing his Mad Queen sister-lover just as he did with Aerys, before she combusts kings landing with wildfire

And lo a new age of democracy begins.... 

Vote Sam for president :)

(*edit... though Jon is most likely to govern since he’s been democratically chosen to lead so many times before... by freefolk, nights watch and the north... why not once more?)

23 minutes ago, Municipal Engines said:

Aside from the Super-Assassin that replaced Arya being the creators' pet and D&D being hacks who believe that subverting expectations is brilliant writing no matter what.

I mean hey, nobody except Gendry saw Arya coming. I guess in Westeros having sex gives you magic super powers, that must be why everyone is banging during the early seasons

At this point in the "story" the biggest twist I'm expecting is Jon and Dany to break out into a musical song and dance about their wedding while the mice and birds of Kings Landing make her weeding dress..

1 hour ago, neutralbhad said:

You have a lot of faith in the writers to have twists. The other twists in the show (Ned, Red Wedding, For the Watch, Stannis losing) had build up. There was nothing to build up to Arya suddenly defeating the White Walkers.

There was tonnes of build up? :huh:
She's been in training as a fighter, and then a faceless assassin for years. The 'what do we say to the god of death" training was heavily emphasised..... So too was the references to the Many-faced God/God of Death... she's specifically been training under Death her whole life... know yer enemies and all that... was v clear she'd have a major role against the army of the dead.
Her 'list' was nothing short of ambitious in terms of improbable looking hero slaying impossible-looking target... I was certainly convinced she was gonna kill someone major that everyone else's armies hadn't managed to. Once Joffrey got bumped, that only left Cersei as a major target (but I still wholeheartedly believe that will be Jaimie to do that) so it wasn't surprising the Night King would fit her ambitions/skill set. She's way more skilled at killing than literally anyone else in Westeros.
(Recall the remark made in earlier seasons that hiring a faceless assassin to kill a merchant costs far more than hiring out the Golden Company... they are far more guaranteed to succeed)
The moment that Bran gave her the dagger, like he knew the importance of it to come, I started ruling her out as NK slayer because it was almost too obvious.

If they had really wanted a ridiculously unexpected twist, they could have had Sam kill the Night King... after all his "I'm not that useless... I killed the first white walker... I stole books from the library" speech, he'd have been the most unexpected... :D

What I wasn't expecting from Ep 3 was the total lack of highs and lows... it was just the North allies getting pummelled for the entire show and then all suddenly over in one thrust. No whitewalkers in battle, or getting killed to test the theory of how to thin down the army of the dead... no little wins here and there... just solid pummelling.
It was peculiarly a 'one note tune', for a show that likes twists. 

**Edited to add... just remembered the spoilers they gave for Arya being the one during the show... the big long meaningful stare that Melissandre gave to Arya when she was standing up on the wall of Winterfell... she didn't do the red witch stare at anyone else.... and the whole Beric dying saving Arya and what Melissandre said afterwards... i was literally groaning on my couch "nooooo, its too obvious... don't be that".
It was the most non-twisty twist because all the buildup pointed to her, to me anyway. But dang... wish we could have seen her & the others slice up some whitewalkers first... it was really unsatisfying to just reduce his death into a five second sequence. :bawl:

On 4/30/2019 at 7:35 AM, Anthony Pirtle said:

The actual quote was 'holy shit moments.' Burning Shireen was the first. Hodor's origin story was the second. 

Arya slaying the Night King might be the third, but who even knows if there is such a guy in the books? I guess we'll see.

Shireen was a holy shit moment?

I was pretty sure she was going to end up on a bonfire from the first chapter she appeared in. The burning of the idols and family members who refused to abandon them for the the red god was a very clear foreshadowing that Stannis was going to murder her to get the crown.

Hodor was a holy shit moment though.

10 hours ago, neutralbhad said:

You have a lot of faith in the writers to have twists. The other twists in the show (Ned, Red Wedding, For the Watch, Stannis losing) had build up. There was nothing to build up to Arya suddenly defeating the White Walkers.

On the contrary, the plan all along was to take out the NK and his army would fall.

If Jon had managed to get through in time, nobody would have been saying 'insufficient build up'.

The ridiculous part was not having anyone armed with valyerian steel with Thron. They knew it took a valyerian blade.

The whole path through the library is completely contrary to Arya's mode before. Normally, she would have been picking off the zombies one by one. After the discussion with Red Mel, she focuses on the strategy and goes for the NK and only the NK.

Jon and Danny both make a very good try at killing the NK but they fail because the NK doesn't burn and he can call on the dead to rise.

9 hours ago, Figdoni said:

There was tonnes of build up? :huh:
The moment that Bran gave her the dagger, like he knew the importance of it to come, I started ruling her out as NK slayer because it was almost too obvious.

If they had really wanted a ridiculously unexpected twist, they could have had Sam kill the Night King... after all his "I'm not that useless... I killed the first white walker... I stole books from the library" speech, he'd have been the most unexpected... :D

What I wasn't expecting from Ep 3 was the total lack of highs and lows... it was just the North allies getting pummelled for the entire show and then all suddenly over in one thrust. No whitewalkers in battle, or getting killed to test the theory of how to thin down the army of the dead... no little wins here and there... just solid pummelling.
It was peculiarly a 'one note tune', for a show that likes twists. 

Agree completely.

I thought they might be building to Sam. But the only real thing for him was fighting at all rather than hiding in the crypt. Though he could have been more use there arguably...

I thought handing the dagger to Arya was significant. But her first use of it was to kill Littlefinger, he was the main instigator of the war of seven kings. Littlefinger, not Cersei was the big bad there. It seemed that the plot arc was closed, the same blade that started the war ended the person who started it.

Also agree on the use of the WWs. The episode would have gone better if there had been some success taking out WWs before the NK caused the dead to rise. Perhaps have a lead character take out a WW but being killed themselves.

10 hours ago, neutralbhad said:

I mean hey, nobody except Gendry saw Arya coming. I guess in Westeros having sex gives you magic super powers, that must be why everyone is banging during the early seasons

Hey, Tiger woods was winning every other Major while he was still banging cocktail waitresses and he didn't win another for a decade after he stopped.

Wonder who he nailed before the masters.

I don't think the overall twist was particularly bad or that anyone is massively bothered about Arya doing the deed. It makes Jons story utterly pointless but other than that she makes as much sense as anyone else but the direction of it was terrible, they basically told you it was gonna be Arya twenty minutes before it happened and it killed any suspense of what was about to happen just so Melisandre could have a cool line to say. It would have made more sense for her to be there and say it afterwards but they wanted to kill her off instead so essentially ruined their own twist for no reason. Was pretty baffling.

See, from GRRM I would expect additional plot twists. From D&D, not really.  

I think that next episode we'll have some post-battle cleanup and some infighting, following that we'll have one episode for the trip to KL with more infighting and preparation along with maybe some initial fighting, and then the final episode will be the fullblown battle and conclusion in KL. 

On 5/1/2019 at 2:15 AM, Deminelle said:

I had a thought Bronn could actually kill Jaime. Would be silly enough after he saved him earlier. Then Brienne kills Bronn, Tyrion goes after Cersei.

My ideas usually are wrong though...

I agree - except I think Tyrion will die and not Jaime 

I think Dany going mad and dying (likely at Jon's hands) seems too obvious at this point - though I still think it's inevitable she shows a bit of her burn-baby-burn side. Perhaps she will indeed show her Targaryen bloodthirst, and kill Jon, thusly having the Throne to herself. I still think back to GRRM saying it's a bittersweet ending all those years ago. Clearly the bitter part is her murdering Jon - perhaps it's not made public she did it, and she reigns in peace as it fades out, with Tyrion being the only guy that knows the truth.

My other idea that would fit the "Final zinger" idea is Arya assassinating a crazy-eyed Dany, and Jon beheading Arya for treason and regicide. Jon sits miserable on the throne, fade out. I thought that was possible, anyway, til Arya-Saves-The-World happened. She had such a dark path that a suitably dark ending suits her, in my opinion, but I think their fan-servicing would never allow her going heel.

If we look at the other two 'Holy Shit' moments we have a girl being burned alive and a boy whose future is taken from him.  We have kings blood and nobody blood.  Shireen dies ultimately for Stannis's political desires.  Hodor's body size and strength is used by Bran in order to let Bran escape.  

Both are harmed by selfish desires from others.
Both are younger persons.
Both seem to be faultless.  
Both love or consider a friend the person who harms them.
Both are clearly used by capable, clear-eyed persons who should know better.

Anybody see a pattern?

1 minute ago, lakin1013 said:

If we look at the other two 'Holy Shit' moments we have a girl being burned alive and a boy whose future is taken from him.  We have kings blood and nobody blood.  Shireen dies ultimately for Stannis's political desires.  Hodor's body size and strength is used by Bran in order to let Bran escape.  

Anybody see a pattern?

You're making me worry for Little Sam now.

26 minutes ago, lakin1013 said:

Anybody see a pattern?

I like your thinking... but...
It's debatable that both were harmed by selfish desires of others. 

Bran didn't want to go North of the wall, knew it meant a high likelihood of death and it scared the bejesus out of him... but he went out of a sense of obligation towards his fate to go meet the three eyed raven & play whatever important part that was required of him, for the sake of mankind etc... it wasn't selfish desires that put him in that predicament.

Stannis, also, was being pushed relentlessly to fulfill his role as it was perceived by people around him. At a few points, he even expressed lots of doubts about even wanting it to people like Davos and Melissandre, and was told that it was prophecised, that humanity was counting on him, that the battle between good and evil was counting on him and that he had to sacrifice everything he loved and held dear for the Lord of Lights plan.

So might be more accurate to say both were harmed out of someone adhering to prophecy or sense of duty that was informed by prophecy.
If that's the case...
Then maybe the PTWP is going to be likewise pushed to harm someone... perhaps someone innocent or faultless who is on their side... against their better judgement in order to fulfil their prophetic duty?

Archived