"There is only One Thing We Say to Death"

Prince Jon

This is the question that Syrio posed and answered to Arya at their last lesson.  How does Melisandre know to quote this back to Arya?  I get all the prophecy stuff of Mel seeing the future in the flames.  But this would have been the past by the time Mel/Arya met.  

Not Today! 

7 minutes ago, btfu806 said:

Also, I must have missed the part where Syrio trained Arya on how to sneak past the White Walkers and fly toward the NK. It was so weird, that whole thing.

Yeah it's not like she spent a couple of years in Braavos learning how to be a ninja. That might have made more sense. 

Arya had an entire scene were she's sneaking around the wights. And who's to say that the night king didn't give some kind of mental order for the walk walkers not to interfere. None of them attacked Theon in his charge, it makes sense that they wouldn't stop Arya.

2 hours ago, Prince Jon said:

This is the question that Syrio posed and answered to Arya at their last lesson.  How does Melisandre know to quote this back to Arya?

I believe the quote is just a very popular saying of the Many-faced God and Bravoosi in general. Melisandre probably knows that Arya had trained with them. She has visions and she has had visions about Arya.

I believe this directly ties in with Melisandre's vision "Brown eyes, blue eyes, green eyes. Eyes you shall kill." She looked into Arya's eyes and knew even back tehn that Arya will be an assassin and will be the the faceless men. 

2 hours ago, Lord Lyman said:

Arya had an entire scene were she's sneaking around the wights. And who's to say that the night king didn't give some kind of mental order for the walk walkers not to interfere. None of them attacked Theon in his charge, it makes sense that they wouldn't stop Arya.

Agreed, that scene was there for a reason. 
And it seems that the WW was on some sort of "pause".
The NK has also been shown as quite arrogant, makes sense that he wouldn't perceive Arya as a threat even if he knew she was there.

4 hours ago, Lord Lyman said:

Yea because a bunch of TWD tier intelligence zombies are comparable to the supposedly dreaded White Walkers, but hey logic departed this show long time ago. 

6 hours ago, Prince Jon said:

This is the question that Syrio posed and answered to Arya at their last lesson.  How does Melisandre know to quote this back to Arya?  I get all the prophecy stuff of Mel seeing the future in the flames.  But this would have been the past by the time Mel/Arya met.  

Not Today! 

Probably the same way she knew to tell Jon Snow that he knows nothing in both the show and books.  She's magic and what not.

4 hours ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Yeah it's not like she spent a couple of years in Braavos learning how to be a ninja. That might have made more sense. 

Yea ninjas are so cool, they can do anything, I wouldn't ever be surprised by anything ninjas do, cause you know; they are ninjas after all. 

4 hours ago, btfu806 said:

Also, I must have missed the part where Syrio trained Arya on how to sneak past the White Walkers and fly toward the NK. It was so weird, that whole thing.

I think we'll get a more detailed description on how she pulled it off in the next episode.  I can see the Hound calling her out, "You?!  You singlehandedly killed the Night King? Bullshit!" and then she and/or Bran describe how it was pulled off.  I think the camera angle was awful and she actually came out of either the Weirwood tree, or from a tunnel that runs from the library out to the courtyard.

4 hours ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

HA!  This.  I mean, even if you think it's ridiculous that she is one, they spent hours showing her training to be one of the most lethal assassins in the entire world of the show.  Ridiculous would have been Lyanna Mormont killing a giant after having her own ribs punctured through her internal organs...wait a sec

11 minutes ago, L’Age d’or said:

Only a shutdown brain could find nothing wrong with the way NK died, I guess yours is still down.

Get a grip. Please no persponal agression. We want to have fun discussing the show. This is no pissing contest.

An the way the NK died is completely logical and no plot-hole. Read up, we explained it more than once now.

I think when compared to many other problems in the episode, and the giant clusterfuck of giving Jon and Dany's roles to Arya, Mel knowing those words is one of the lesser problems.
In both the books and show she seems to have some level of psychic powers, they just aren't as infallible as she believes them to be, so I think it's perfectly possible

5 hours ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

I just remember her running around dressed up as Heidi the girl of the alps while screaming about "Cockles", washing a lot of floors, before having a cartoon chase with the Waif and then, somehow, for some reason being declared to "finally be No One" by that guy with the annoying speech pattern.
Arya's story line in Braavos was pretty much as badly butchered as Sansa's storyline after season 4...

1 minute ago, Kajjo said:

Get a grip. Please no persponal agression. We want to have fun discussing the show. This is no pissing contest.

An the way the NK died is completely logical and no plot-hole. Read up, we explained it more than once now.

It completely makes moot anything of Jon's heritage, of magic, of all the WW lore, of the idea we've been hearing for years that everyone needs to fight the army of the dead, of Dany's dragons her heritage having meaning or of fire and ice having any meaning, Bran's visions, Mel's visions, all moot again.  

All that was needed was a good hit woman.  No magic. No dragons. No king's blood.  
Vast chunks of the story were rendered instantly obsolete and meaningless by the show';s desire to 'surprise' the audience with a random person killing the NK.

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

It completely makes moot anything of Jon's heritage, of magic, of all the WW lore, of the idea we've been hearing for years that everyone needs to fight the army of the dead, of Dany's dragons her heritage having meaning or of fire and ice having any meaning, Bran's visions, Mel's visions, all moot again.  

All that was needed was a good hit woman.  No magic. No dragons. No king's blood.  
Vast chunks of the story were rendered instantly obsolete and meaningless by the show';s desire to 'surprise' the audience with a random person killing the NK.

Not everyone who watches the show read the books, comes to online forums, etc. For the vast majority of the audience the show is ALL they know.  Arya striking the killing blow was awesome to almost all of them, and to some of us superfans as well:

https://twitter.com/BarstoolsTweets/status/1122699882857488384

Just now, Arya's Sideboob said:

Not everyone who watches the show read the books, comes to online forums, etc. For the vast majority of the audience the show is ALL they know.  Arya striking the killing blow was awesome to almost all of them, and to some of us superfans as well:

https://twitter.com/BarstoolsTweets/status/1122699882857488384

Azor Ahai is in the show, and so is the prince that was promised, so is the prophecy of the war between the living and the dead, so is Jon's now pointless heritage, all of that is in the show, people in the show have been ranting for at least 2 years about the fight against the dead.

2 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Azor Ahai is in the show, and so is the prince that was promised, so is the prophecy of the war between the living and the dead, so is Jon's now pointless heritage, all of that is in the show, people in the show have been ranting for at least 2 years about the fight against the dead.

I think we need to see what happens in the last three episodes before we assume that Azor Ahai is meant to kill the Night King.  Maybe he/she still has a different role to play.  Surely something crazy is going to happen in the next three weeks.

2 minutes ago, Arya's Sideboob said:

Not everyone who watches the show read the books, comes to online forums, etc. For the vast majority of the audience the show is ALL they know. 

Okay I agree that we should not attack each other personally. But even form a show watcher's perspective....you have just spent seven years watching Jon and Daenerys built up as the two people who will save the world. They show made a huge deal of Jon's resurrection, a huge deal of Rhaegar and Lyanna last season. They had several Red Priestesses show up and declare how important Daenerys is....how important those dragons are.....and then there's no payoff.. And those kewl Dragons were pointless...

At least one show-only friend I have already talked to said, yes he liked the episode, but he agrees that Arya killing the NK was kind of a copout, he didn't have as huge a problem with it as me, but he wasn't thrilled about it either.

Archived