Football, a Sterling effort, but Virgil got Dijk'd.

BigFatCoward

21 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Well, he can make a few signings to strengthen the squad.

Rumoredly Bayern would be willing to part with Boateng for less now. :leaving:

I heard PSG are still interested. Alderweireld would be the obvious choice given his release clause of 25 million becomes active during the upcoming transfer window (provided he doesn't renew of course). There will have to be replacements coming in since Herrera looks PSG bound, Mata could be off on a free as well, Pereira could very well want out due to lack of game time, Valencia is already confirmed to be leaving and DDG's future is unclear. 

Considering Arsenal are in dire need of a CB too, and may yet be in the CL next year, I wonder if Alderweireld would be tempted to remain in London rather than get more money in Manchester.

It’s only three months since United gave Phil Jones a contract extension through 2023.  Still hilarious.

Barca rested their entire starting XI in their league match.  If City do drop points on Monday, there’s a serious argument for Liverpool to rest all their players against Barca in order to prioritize the Wolves game.  Liverpool are getting fatigued, have fewer rotation options because of injury, and their opponents in recent weeks have been better rested.

What happens if Arsenal and Chelsea reach the EL final, with Chelsea winning despite already having qualified for the CL via their league finish?  In that case does Arsenal still get a CL spot, either as a EL runner-up or for 5th place in the PL?

Just now, Iskaral Pust said:

What happens if Arsenal and Chelsea reach the EL final, with Chelsea winning despite already having qualified for the CL via their league finish?  In that case does Arsenal still get a CL spot, either as a EL runner-up or for 5th place in the PL?

Nope, that means EL for Arsenal and CL for Chelsea.

The EL winner qualification spot would pass on to the winner of the next best (11th European league according to UEFA 5 years ranking), or to the 3rd placed in the 5th best league.

Anyway, it would still be four English teams in the CL (City, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelski), that's the bottom line.

33 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Considering Arsenal are in dire need of a CB too, and may yet be in the CL next year, I wonder if Alderweireld would be tempted to remain in London rather than get more money in Manchester.

If he wanted to remain in London he'd just renew with Spurs. The reason he hasn't renewed yet is because he wants more money. I don't think no CL football next season would deter Alderweireld from United - afterall United will spend money to try and get back into the CL and we aren't exactly a long way behind Arsenal, Chelsea or Spurs. If he does leave, I think either PSG or United are his most likely destinations.

If he wants to win things then his options are limited to just PSG really. Bayern have already invested in CBs, Real Madrid have signed Militao and Barca are targeting De Ligt and already have Lenglet and Umtiti. Maybe Juve might be interested but there's been no reports of them chasing CBs. I agree that we should be looking at younger players but Alderweireld would be a good addition provided we offload at least two of Jones, Rojo and Smalling. 

6 hours ago, Consigliere said:

If he wanted to remain in London he'd just renew with Spurs. The reason he hasn't renewed yet is because he wants more money. I don't think no CL football next season would deter Alderweireld from United - afterall United will spend money to try and get back into the CL and we aren't exactly a long way behind Arsenal, Chelsea or Spurs. If he does leave, I think either PSG or United are his most likely destinations.

I was assuming Arsenal would offer higher wages than Spurs because they’re desperate.  Spurs have Sanchez and Vertonghen so Levy won’t be held to ransom but Arsenal really need a starting CB.  I’m sure United will offer even higher wages but it looks a bit risky there with lots of squad turnover ahead and no guarantee that the manager will survive next season; plus there’s the lifestyle issue of relocating to the northwest.

On balance I would assume Alderweireld will be looking for the maximum payday because realistically he has earned less than he probably should have so far and this is his last big contract.

Hard to say with Alderweireld.

United could need him, but it would be another version of the problem they already have: buying expensive people at their peak. And risking him becoming the next Sanchez. However, had I been an United fan, I would want to see the end of Jones, Smalling, Rojo and Young asap (also Darmian, but that goes without saying, no?), so I would need someone experienced to fill in. 

Arsenal also need CBs, but as people metion, I don't think they'll be paying him enough to keep him in London. 

Other options may arise, we'll just have to wait and see. I personally hope that we can keep hold of Zouma. He may be erratic at times, and I do not think he'll be the answer to United's problems - he isn't the anchor in the defense - but he works well with Keane in our system. 

9 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

I agree he'd be a good addition, but I guess the concern would be that he's going to look at the no Champions League and look at Sanchez's wages and ask for 300k/pw.

As for other teams, might going back to Atletico not be an option for him? Isn't this Godin's final season?

If his wage demands are too high then yeah we should pass on him. 200-220k per week wages would be worth it considering the transfer fee would small. Atleti could be an option but if his priority is trophies then he doesn't really have a better chance at Atleti than he would at United. While Atleti is better than United they are a long way behind Barca and Real Madrid will probably move ahead of them again. I don't see Atleti paying him even 200k per week either - I read that they're also have trouble with their wage bill which is why they can't offer Godin the wages he's after. 

54 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

If his wage demands are too high then yeah we should pass on him. 200-220k per week wages would be worth it considering the transfer fee would small. Atleti could be an option but if his priority is trophies then he doesn't really have a better chance at Atleti than he would at United. While Atleti is better than United they are a long way behind Barca and Real Madrid will probably move ahead of them again. I don't see Atleti paying him even 200k per week either - I read that they're also have trouble with their wage bill which is why they can't offer Godin the wages he's after. 

Not sure, but that's somewhat implying the gulf between City and United is smaller than the one between Atletico and Barca. You can insert Real/Liverpool as the second/third team, that's standing between United and Atletico. That looks like an awfully optimistic assessment.

I think Atletico are closer to Barca than United is to City, and Messi won't be around for another decade. And Real is in for a major overhaul.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Not sure, but that's somewhat implying the gulf between City and United is smaller than the one between Atletico and Barca. You can insert Real/Liverpool as the second/third team, that's standing between United and Atletico. That looks like an awfully optimistic assessment.

I think Atletico are closer to Barca than United is to City, and Messi won't be around for another decade. And Real is in for a major overhaul.

I was not implying that at all - I even said that Atleti are better than United. The point I was making is that if trophies are a priority for Alderweireld then Atleti offers no better of an opportunity than United. If trophies and big money are his priorities then his options are basically limited to just PSG.

12 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Was about to come in and suggest that Atletico are punching well above their financial weight, but a quick check suggests they have outspend Real recently.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.sport360.com/article/football/la-liga/298686/diego-simeone-says-budgets-not-the-same-but-atletico-madrid-have-outspent-real-madrid-over-last-five-seasons

It's not only what they spent on transfers either. Their wage bill has blown up in the last couple of years. Griezmann's contract extension was massive - reported at the time as €20m per year after tax. Oblak just renewed for 200k per week as well. Atleti are basically at the very limit of what they can afford in wages which is why they've been unable to meet Godin's wage demands.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

I was not implying that at all - I even said that Atleti are better than United. The point I was making is that if trophies are a priority for Alderweireld then Atleti offers no better of an opportunity than United. If trophies and big money are his priorities then his options are basically limited to just PSG.

Ah, ok, then I read more into it. Apologies.

However I think this is somewhat wrong. I think he has a better chance to win an odd cup or even the league with Atletico than with United. As I think Atletico will just have to beat out Barca (with Real impending rebuilt), and Messi will really not be around for another deacde. If you meant collect titles regularly, then you are right, that is something neither Atletico nor United can provide atm.  And presumably neither will be able to do so within the next five years, at least imo.

United are in for the rebuilt, too (you named the big questions surrounding United), and have with City a very strong team really lightyears ahead of them , which is also years younger than Barca (let's be blunt, it's just a matter of time before they win the CL); Liverpool (although I don't think they will repeat this campaign next year), and arguably Spurs and Chelski ahead of them. With Chelski there's of course the big question marks what happens with Hazard, and where are they heading with Sarri; and will dubious Russian bilionaires be welcome again in post Brexit Britain.

9 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Ah, ok, then I read more into it. Apologies.

However I think this is somewhat wrong. I think he has a better chance to win an odd cup or even the league with Atletico than with United. As I think Atletico will just have to beat out Barca (with Real impending rebuilt), and Messi will really not be around for another deacde. If you meant collect titles regularly, then you are right, that is something neither Atletico nor United can provide atm.  And presumably neither will be able to do so within the next five years, at least imo.

United are in for the rebuilt, too (you named the big questions surrounding United), and have with City a very strong team really lightyears ahead of them , which is also years younger than Barca (let's be blunt, it's just a matter of time before they win the CL); Liverpool (although I don't think they will repeat this campaign next year), and arguably Spurs and Chelski ahead of them. With Chelski there's of course the big question marks what happens with Hazard, and where are they heading with Sarri; and will dubious Russian bilionaires be welcome again in post Brexit Britain.

The thing is Messi is going to be around longer than Alderweireld. Atleti have also won just two domestic trophies in the last 10 years and they are not as good now as they were from 2013-2016. Unless they drop into the Europa League, the chances of picking up silverware with Atleti is slim at best. Another thing to consider is that Atleti are themselves in need of a bit of a rebuild - Juanfran and Felipe Luis are finished, Godin has declined a bit as well and looks to be on his way out and they've lost Hernandez to Bayern. They spent a lot on Lemar and Vitolo but both have struggled and neither player looks to be a good fit for Simeone's system. Costa was brought back for a lot of money for basically half a good season - he's has some good performances here and there this season but overall he's been poor, become injury prone and his temper has let the team down on a few occasions which is why Morata was brought in and he's not all that good either.

Archived