Football, a Sterling effort, but Virgil got Dijk'd.

BigFatCoward

6 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

The thing is Messi is going to be around longer than Alderweireld.

Not sure I'd go that far, as defenders usually last longer than attackers, but Alderweireld is only nine months younger than Messi so hanging around waiting for Messi to retire doesn't strike me as a route to glory, no.

1 minute ago, mormont said:

Not sure I'd go that far, as defenders usually last longer than attackers, but Alderweireld is only nine months younger than Messi so hanging around waiting for Messi to retire doesn't strike me as a route to glory, no.

That's true usually but Messi is an exceptional player. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he's still among the top players in the world at 35.

Yes, however I vaguely recall Messi banging on about wanting to end his career in Argentina. So assuming he is serious about this, and actually wants to play there while he is still in top of the world and not just as Maradona tribute act with a big belly moving around the pitch, that would also reduce his Barca time a bit.

Annoying stat of the day, apparently the 94 points Liverpool have now would have been enough to win the league in all but 2 of the seasons since 3 points for a win was introduced in 1981 and 11 of those seasons were 40 or 42 games. Ffs.:bang:

Although the Chelsea fans have been booing the team, and particularly the manager, for a couple of months or more, achieving CL qualification and possibly (likely?) winning the EL would have been viewed as a positive season last July.

It hasn’t been the most convincing season, and they have a big uncertainty ahead with Pulisic arriving but Hazard probably leaving, but not actually a bad first season for Sarri.  But will he stick around while the fans won’t support him?

1 minute ago, Iskaral Pust said:

City and Spurs get away it most weeks, and have for quite a while. 

That fair play table Ezrulie posted earlier makes it pretty clear which team it is that gets away most with their cynical fouling.

10 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

That fair play table Ezrulie posted earlier makes it pretty clear which team it is that gets away most with their cynical fouling.

I know you feel the need to lash out.  That's ok.  United fans are progressing through denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance at their own pace. 

I watch enough Liverpool games that I felt no twinge of hypocrisy as I wrote that post.  Liverpool press high but don't use nearly as much cynical fouling as City and Spurs.  Spurs also tend to inject a little nasty edge too from Alli especially and even Kane, and they still don't get booked for it.  Milner is pretty much the only one who makes a tactical foul at times for Liverpool and he has the bookings to show for it.  I would say the rest of the team are being too much of boy scouts except we're really not conceding many goals anyway.

The most un-City like goal they’ll score all season.

The narrative levels went off the charts for a half second there when Kompany slipped and almost let Leicester straight back in.

It's been a long time since I saw someone park the bus as much as Leicester did tonigt.

For reference, when Kompany scored, Vardy is the most advanced Leicester player. I doubt he is more than 40 meters from his own goal. Proper double decker parked, good they lose for it. Utterly boring.

ETA: saw a replay from up above. 30 meters from his own goal. That's the "attacker" of Leicester. Mourinho would be proud.

12 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

It's been a long time since I saw someone park the bus as much as Leicester did tonigt.

For reference, when Kompany scored, Vardy is the most advanced Leicester player. I doubt he is more than 40 meters from his own goal. Proper double decker parked, good they lose for it. Utterly boring.

I'm not sure about that. I think they genuinely tried to play, they were repeatedly trying to pass out from the back in the first half, they gave up a bit in the second half, City just completely hemmed them in.

That's the thing with City, when teams get past their press and they actually have to defend in their own half, especially without Fernandinho, they do look a little vulnerable. Their ability to keep the ball and win it back so fast when they lose it means it hardly ever matters though. 

Archived