Football, a Sterling effort, but Virgil got Dijk'd.

BigFatCoward

Valverde should be under severe pressure now. He's moved away from Barca's possession oriented, high pressing style and done things his own way which has been successful in La Liga but abject in Europe and the CL is the trophy Barca really want.

Just now, redriver said:

Kinda scared of Ajax too.They have this rude habit of coming out with an incredible team every decade or so.

The next Van Bastens,Van Niiistleroys,Gullits?...well you saw them here first.

Nah, Liverpool are far too strong for either Spurs or Ajax. Ajax's pressing is what caught out Juventus and Real Madrid (and Spurs in the first half of that game). That will not work nearly as well against Liverpool. If anything Liverpool's pressing and physicality will be too much for Ajax to handle. Ajax's defence is shaky too especially against the high ball so I expect Liverpool would steamroll them. I think Spurs would have a better chance than Ajax.

6 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Valverde should be under severe pressure now. He's moved away from Barca's possession oriented, high pressing style and done things his own way which has been successful in La Liga but abject in Europe and the CL is the trophy Barca really want.

Nah, Liverpool are far too strong for either Spurs or Ajax. Ajax's pressing is what caught out Juventus and Real Madrid (and Spurs in the first half of that game). That will not work nearly as well against Liverpool. If anything Liverpool's pressing and physicality will be too much for Ajax to handle. Ajax's defence is shaky too especially against the high ball so I expect Liverpool would steamroll them. I think Spurs would have a better chance than Ajax.

I would dearly love to believe everything you've written,but no.This to me is an Ajax outfit that is nowhere near it's peak,yet here they might be,soon.

I'd prefer to play Spurs.

well if I was to expect that of any team it’d be Liverpool.  Don’t know what all the fuss was about last week.  Definitely the favourites now but you’ve got to want to play Spurs, always better the devil you know.

Just now, redriver said:

I would dearly love to believe everything you've written,but no.This to me is an Ajax outfit that is nowhere near it's peak,yet here they might be,soon.

I'd prefer to play Spurs.

This Ajax outfit will be sold off long before the team reaches it's peak - De Jong is already sold and De Ligt is next. Neres, Ziyech and Van de Beek will all be picked off and possibly Tagliafico as well. The best players will peak elsewhere just like with that Monaco team.

Ajax's biggest weapon is their pressing game and Liverpool are better than them at that. The Ajax players would also struggle to cope with Liverpool's physicality (just as Barca did) and as I've said, Ajax are weak on crosses and set pieces and that just happens to be a massive strength for Liverpool. Spurs would handle the physicality, crosses and set pieces much better imo. 

Incredible result.  I was glancing at the live scoreline during a long meeting, trying to control my excitement, anxiety and desperate curiosity as the game progressed.

As @ljkeane said, this was an incredible result on its own but when you consider the absences and injuries, it looks miraculous.  This one is definitely going down in Liverpool lore for the ages.  We were bitterly unlucky in the first leg, when the score was a horrible distortion of the performance.  I cannot believe we pulled this off.

I hope everyone is fit for the final.  It would be too cruel for any of them to miss that game.

1 hour ago, Soylent Brown said:

He can't stop at two, surely?

Hey Soylent, i've heard you're taking out a full page apology ad in tomorrow's paper for slagging Gini? :P

Man.what a game.thumping Barca 4-0 without 2 of our best is unbelievable.A historic game that will live on in Liverpool lore for years to come.I really hope we win this now.:)

On 5/6/2019 at 12:53 PM, BigFatCoward said:

Absolutely. Barca tie is over. 

Ahem.

Gini and Origi.

Klopp is such an idiot for trusting these players. What have they got us? A possible 97 point PL season and a CL final? 

He clearly doesn't know what he's doing, and any one of the posters here could do a better job than him.

YNWTFA

Wow, that was nuts. I had a feeling though, when Messi missed a couple of chances in the first half. They were no longer as clinical as in the first leg, and Liverpool were. Total reversal. And so much energy out of all the players. Suarez is still a pos, I love seeing him lose.

I kinda hated Shaqiri. I know now why he's not a starter. He sent a few good balls in, and had an assist, but he also lost a lot of balls. In the first half he was all over the place, not in a good way.

Not a bad result given that Liverpool played without Salah and Firmino and had to play with the additional handicap of a donkey manager and the championship level players Wijnaldum and Origi.

Kudos. Impresive result, impresive game. Best of luck against Spurs (yes, my pick for tonight).

6 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Wow, that was nuts. I had a feeling though, when Messi missed a couple of chances in the first half. They were no longer as clinical as in the first leg, and Liverpool were. Total reversal. And so much energy out of all the players. Suarez is still a pos, I love seeing him lose.

I kinda hated Shaqiri. I know now why he's not a starter. He sent a few good balls in, and had an assist, but he also lost a lot of balls. In the first half he was all over the place, not in a good way.

Shaqiri was pretty awful in the first half, I was amazed when he came back on after half time. He was the one player who looked overawed by the situation and the pace of the game, he rushed every pass and panicked on the ball. 

But the rest of the team were incredible. To have that level of energy for the entire match, when even at the end they were chasing the Barca defence, it was unbelievable!

Hats off the Liverpool, this was an amazing night. I was certain there would be some messi magic but he was silent. To score 4 and keep a clean sheet against this Barca side is something I couldn’t have dreamed they would have achieved.

Watching Milners tears at the end really got to me

7 hours ago, Mme Erzulie said:

Ahem.

Gini and Origi.

Klopp is such an idiot for trusting these players. What have they got us? A possible 97 point PL season and a CL final? 

He clearly doesn't know what he's doing, and any one of the posters here could do a better job than him.

YNWTFA

I obviously meant Barca tie is over for Barca, 3-0 was never going to be enough of a lead. 

I mean Gini not really working as a false nine in Spain and calling that out is hardly blasphemy and I think TAA proved how important he is yesterday so yeah I still stand by thinking Klopp got some decisions wrong in the first leg. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Shaqiri was pretty awful in the first half, I was amazed when he came back on after half time.

I was certain there would be some messi magic but he was silent.

Yeah Shaqiri still pressed like hell though in the first half plus the injuries kinda forced Klopp into keeping him on and he got an assist and looked better overall in the second half. 

Fabinho and Matip were the two best Liverpool players over the two legs imo. Did a great job on Messi yesterday. 

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

Fabinho and Matip were the two best Liverpool players over the two legs imo. Did a great job on Messi yesterday. 

Yeah, Matip was great.

I thought Fabinho was really fantastic over the two legs, he got caught out a few times by Messi but that's going to happen sometimes. To be asked to push up as high as he was to facilitate the amount of pressing Liverpool were doing and dictate the tempo in possession and then try and get back to cover Lionel Messi in quite a bit of space was fantastic. It took him a while to get into the side and since then he's been good but this was the world class holding midfielder we were told we were getting.

It'll be interesting to see how Barca respond to this. They're in a bit of a weird position in that their own excellence has kind of normalised winning the league so not winning the Champions League makes the season a failure. This result was a bit of a disaster but they're still probably, at worst, the 3rd best side in the world. Before this I thought they would just tinker around the edges a bit with their squad over the summer but now do they try to make dramatic changes? Is it even feasible for them to do that?

I love that youse lot have just beaten Barcelona 4-0 to mount one of the greatest comebacks in the history of football and make the CL final and less than 24 hours later you've already contrived a way to piss and moan and and shit on Klopp's team selections and roast the players. Can't you at least wait till the weekend and you've found out if you've lost the league or not?

37 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

It'll be interesting to see how Barca respond to this. They're in a bit of a weird position in that their own excellence has kind of normalised winning the league so not winning the Champions League makes the season a failure. This result was a bit of a disaster but they're still probably, at worst, the 3rd best side in the world. Before this I thought they would just tinker around the edges a bit with their squad over the summer but now do they try to make dramatic changes? Is it even feasible for them to do that?

Well they'll be looking for a new manager, so if I was a Liverpool fan i'd be concerned. 

8 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Well they'll be looking for a new manager, so if I was a Liverpool fan i'd be concerned. 

I'm not too worried with Klopp. He basically could have gone to any team he wanted, other than City who had already decided on Guardiola, after he left Dortmund. I think he likes the idea of committing to a long term project. On top of that Barcelona aren't really set up well to play in the Klopp way because of the limitations of fitting their game around Messi having to conserve his energy for the key moments, that's why they've moved away from their own high pressing game. 

ETA: I could see them deciding Mane's the solution to their problems and deciding to try and prize him away though. Which would be annoying. The amount of money Liverpool managed to gouge out of them for Coutinho might dissuade them though.

21 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

ETA: I could see them deciding Mane's the solution to their problems and deciding to try and prize him away though. Which would be annoying. The amount of money Liverpool managed to gouge out of them for Coutinho might dissuade them though.

I read that Liverpool have agreed an £89m premium with Barcelona for any future players Barcelona try to sign from Liverpool. Apparently it was agreed during the Coutinho deal. Mane would be worth at least £100m in today's market, so Barca would have to add another £89m onto it to get Liverpool to sell him. Apparently Zidane is a big fan of Mane's, though.

Archived