Football, a Sterling effort, but Virgil got Dijk'd.

BigFatCoward

As a neutral its hard to decide who to support

- its nice for new teams to win, but I know loads of smug Spurs fans. 

- on the other hand it really winds up Man Utd fans how much better Liverpool have been in Europe than they have. 

I look at it this way: there's a certain segment of people who look at both Klopp and Pocchetino and say 'yeah, but what have they actually won?'

By the 2 June, at least one of them will have won a European Cup. 

6 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

As a Spurs fan it’s pretty hard for me because I really like this Liverpool side and Klopp is a sort of hero. I’ll be sort of happy whoever wins.. 

You're not a Spurs fan. Can't be. No real fan would ever say such a thing.

1 hour ago, mormont said:

I look at it this way: there's a certain segment of people who look at both Klopp and Pocchetino and say 'yeah, but what have they actually won?'

By the 2 June, at least one of them will have won a European Cup. 

I've always considered that segment of people to be rather stupid. Klopp especially has actually won two league titles and a German cup + reached 3 CL finals (4 European finals in total). Poch's record is not as glittering but the chances of winning silverware with either Southampton or Espanyol are very slim indeed. I suppose an argument can be made that he could have done better with Spurs - prior to this season and considering the quality of the team he could perhaps have done better than reaching just one cup final (league cup runners up in 2014/2015). 

If you were Spurs would you rest your whole team this weekend?  I know its still 3 weeks to the final so its not so much about fatigue, more the chance to pick up injuries., you have to assume there won't be an 8 goal swing to Arsenal.

Also, Klopp's middle name is Norbert, excellent.

How incredible is it that Spurs have gone from being knocked out in the round of 16 last year, to the final this year, without signing a single player in the two intervening transfer windows?

FWIW. I think Liverpool should be slight favorites to win the final.But not because of the quality of the teams, I think the lost finals during the past few years has hurt them quite a bit, and they have learnt their lessong and will be arguably hungrier more determined (to prove they are capable of winning). So I just assume those defeats have helped them grow as a team.

Just now, mormont said:

How incredible is it that Spurs have gone from being knocked out in the round of 16 last year, to the final this year, without signing a single player in the two intervening transfer windows? 

Not as incredibly as you  might think. Those match ups are usually relatively close, with not that much seperating teams. One bad night, can get the favorites knocked out. Also remember Spurs could have gone out during the group stage, had fortune smiled a bit more Inter, Spurs would've gone to the EL instead of the CL k.o. stage. I don't mean to take anything away from Spurs, they are in the final on merit. But like I said, those k.o. matches in particular are usually a quite close contest, and sometimes you just need some good fortune to get thru to the next round. Just ask United about how they managed to eliminate PSG.

11 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

If you were Spurs would you rest your whole team this weekend?  I know its still 3 weeks to the final so its not so much about fatigue, more the chance to pick up injuries., you have to assume there won't be an 8 goal swing to Arsenal.

Also, Klopp's middle name is Norbert, excellent.

The problem for Poch is that his thin, injury hit squad is made even thinner with the suspensions to Foyth and Son. I doubt Vertonghen will play either since reports say that he picked up a small ankle injury in the first half yesterday but played on and was seen in a protective boot after the game. Poch doesn't have enough depth to completely leave out Alderweireld, Sissoko, Wanyama, Eriksen, Alli and Moura.

2 hours ago, mormont said:

I'm not sure I'd go as far as incredible. Last year they had a tough tie against Juventus in the last 16 and lost by the odd goal, this year it's gone their way a bit more but I think they are basically at the same level they were the previous season. It's a very good effort with how thin their squad has been but I'd put them in a similar bracket to Liverpool last year as sides you wouldn't pick to make the final at the start of the season but it's not a complete shock if they play well and things go their way. Ajax making the final would have been incredible.

I don't know. In the modern game, for a side to go without new signings for a year and still improve their performance in Europe to this level is extremely unusual. Most teams at this level improve by improving the playing squad: Pocchetino has managed it by getting more out of what he had. 

Yeah, but Spurs really had the necessary luck on their side for their CL campaign this year. Just look at their group table at the midway point - if the results in the other games had not gone in their favour they would've been out after the group stage. Then they benefitted from a really wasteful Dortmund team in the play offs, and an even more wasteful City team, which really dominated them for two games; only to get knocked out by some bouncy goal from Llorente. But then again, at the end of the day, nobody will care about how they got there, if they win it.

6 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Poch's record is not as glittering but the chances of winning silverware with either Southampton or Espanyol are very slim indeed. I suppose an argument can be made that he could have done better with Spurs - prior to this season and considering the quality of the team he could perhaps have done better than reaching just one cup final (league cup runners up in 2014/2015). 

I think the one year when you could argue they really should  have done better is when Leicester won. That was a real chance and they stumbled.

Fuck this sport sometimes.

I feel so sorry for Hinteregger who has been immense through the knockout run and especially tonight. It was a good penalty too, keepers barely ever stand up, Kepa did and it still almost got through.

Archived