Football, a Sterling effort, but Virgil got Dijk'd.

BigFatCoward

6 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Maybe Poch doesn't want to leave Spurs just yet - he's put in a few years of hard work at Spurs afterall, they've completed their new stadium and perhaps Levy promised him more transfer funds as well. Even Real Madrid were linked with him but ended up going back to Zidane.

I think if United or Madrid would have made a serious attempt at getting him, he probably would have gone. I just don't think the interest was concrete enough for him to consider leaving. Timing is everything, if United hadn't given OGS the contract and gone for him in the summer, I think he would have left. 

UEFA have justified the allocation by saying Baku only has the infrastructure capable of hosting 15,000 visitors from overseas at a time. Maybe they should’ve thought of that before they awarded the final to them. Or given them a Euro hosting berth for next year.

1 hour ago, Raja said:

I think if United or Madrid would have made a serious attempt at getting him, he probably would have gone. I just don't think the interest was concrete enough for him to consider leaving. Timing is everything, if United hadn't given OGS the contract and gone for him in the summer, I think he would have left. 

Levy wouldn't even sell us a stadium gardener, but yeah, surely he was going to let Poch leave to us.

54 minutes ago, Philokles said:

UEFA have justified the allocation by saying Baku only has the infrastructure capable of hosting 15,000 visitors from overseas at a time. Maybe they should’ve thought of that before they awarded the final to them. Or given them a Euro hosting berth for next year.

They did. Baku is one of the venues for Euro2020, with 3 group matches one one quarter-final.

UEFA justifying the decision by saying that Baku can't handle more that 15k visitors is simply ridiculous. Baku should not have been awarded the final in that case -  this was the first time that the selection of venues was an open bidding process so the awarding of a European final to a city that can't handle more than 15k visitors at a time reeks of bribery. Arsenal and Chelsea having only 12k fans combined in a 68k stadium is a joke.

What's UEFA's excuse for the CL final in Madrid? Liverpool and Spurs have been allocated 16,600 tickets apiece. So just 33,200 fans of the finalists in a 68k stadium. There's already reports of third party sites flogging tickets for as much as £5,500. 

Archived