BigFatCoward

Football, a Sterling effort, but Virgil got Dijk'd.

Hard to say with Alderweireld.

United could need him, but it would be another version of the problem they already have: buying expensive people at their peak. And risking him becoming the next Sanchez. However, had I been an United fan, I would want to see the end of Jones, Smalling, Rojo and Young asap (also Darmian, but that goes without saying, no?), so I would need someone experienced to fill in. 

Arsenal also need CBs, but as people metion, I don't think they'll be paying him enough to keep him in London. 

Other options may arise, we'll just have to wait and see. I personally hope that we can keep hold of Zouma. He may be erratic at times, and I do not think he'll be the answer to United's problems - he isn't the anchor in the defense - but he works well with Keane in our system. 

9 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

I agree he'd be a good addition, but I guess the concern would be that he's going to look at the no Champions League and look at Sanchez's wages and ask for 300k/pw.

As for other teams, might going back to Atletico not be an option for him? Isn't this Godin's final season?

If his wage demands are too high then yeah we should pass on him. 200-220k per week wages would be worth it considering the transfer fee would small. Atleti could be an option but if his priority is trophies then he doesn't really have a better chance at Atleti than he would at United. While Atleti is better than United they are a long way behind Barca and Real Madrid will probably move ahead of them again. I don't see Atleti paying him even 200k per week either - I read that they're also have trouble with their wage bill which is why they can't offer Godin the wages he's after. 

54 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

If his wage demands are too high then yeah we should pass on him. 200-220k per week wages would be worth it considering the transfer fee would small. Atleti could be an option but if his priority is trophies then he doesn't really have a better chance at Atleti than he would at United. While Atleti is better than United they are a long way behind Barca and Real Madrid will probably move ahead of them again. I don't see Atleti paying him even 200k per week either - I read that they're also have trouble with their wage bill which is why they can't offer Godin the wages he's after. 

Not sure, but that's somewhat implying the gulf between City and United is smaller than the one between Atletico and Barca. You can insert Real/Liverpool as the second/third team, that's standing between United and Atletico. That looks like an awfully optimistic assessment.

I think Atletico are closer to Barca than United is to City, and Messi won't be around for another decade. And Real is in for a major overhaul.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Not sure, but that's somewhat implying the gulf between City and United is smaller than the one between Atletico and Barca. You can insert Real/Liverpool as the second/third team, that's standing between United and Atletico. That looks like an awfully optimistic assessment.

I think Atletico are closer to Barca than United is to City, and Messi won't be around for another decade. And Real is in for a major overhaul.

I was not implying that at all - I even said that Atleti are better than United. The point I was making is that if trophies are a priority for Alderweireld then Atleti offers no better of an opportunity than United. If trophies and big money are his priorities then his options are basically limited to just PSG.

Edited by Consigliere

12 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Was about to come in and suggest that Atletico are punching well above their financial weight, but a quick check suggests they have outspend Real recently.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.sport360.com/article/football/la-liga/298686/diego-simeone-says-budgets-not-the-same-but-atletico-madrid-have-outspent-real-madrid-over-last-five-seasons

It's not only what they spent on transfers either. Their wage bill has blown up in the last couple of years. Griezmann's contract extension was massive - reported at the time as €20m per year after tax. Oblak just renewed for 200k per week as well. Atleti are basically at the very limit of what they can afford in wages which is why they've been unable to meet Godin's wage demands.

If City drop points tonight, do you rest players for the second leg and focus on the league?

That would be a very Brendan Rodgers thing to do. I doubt Klopp would do that. Sacrificing a chance at a CL final (even if it's a small one) by playing a second string team would be a proper loser mentality. 

4 minutes ago, Philokles said:

If City drop points tonight, do you rest players for the second leg and focus on the league?

Absolutely. Barca tie is over. 

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

I was not implying that at all - I even said that Atleti are better than United. The point I was making is that if trophies are a priority for Alderweireld then Atleti offers no better of an opportunity than United. If trophies and big money are his priorities then his options are basically limited to just PSG.

Ah, ok, then I read more into it. Apologies.

However I think this is somewhat wrong. I think he has a better chance to win an odd cup or even the league with Atletico than with United. As I think Atletico will just have to beat out Barca (with Real impending rebuilt), and Messi will really not be around for another deacde. If you meant collect titles regularly, then you are right, that is something neither Atletico nor United can provide atm.  And presumably neither will be able to do so within the next five years, at least imo.

United are in for the rebuilt, too (you named the big questions surrounding United), and have with City a very strong team really lightyears ahead of them , which is also years younger than Barca (let's be blunt, it's just a matter of time before they win the CL); Liverpool (although I don't think they will repeat this campaign next year), and arguably Spurs and Chelski ahead of them. With Chelski there's of course the big question marks what happens with Hazard, and where are they heading with Sarri; and will dubious Russian bilionaires be welcome again in post Brexit Britain.

9 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Ah, ok, then I read more into it. Apologies.

However I think this is somewhat wrong. I think he has a better chance to win an odd cup or even the league with Atletico than with United. As I think Atletico will just have to beat out Barca (with Real impending rebuilt), and Messi will really not be around for another deacde. If you meant collect titles regularly, then you are right, that is something neither Atletico nor United can provide atm.  And presumably neither will be able to do so within the next five years, at least imo.

United are in for the rebuilt, too (you named the big questions surrounding United), and have with City a very strong team really lightyears ahead of them , which is also years younger than Barca (let's be blunt, it's just a matter of time before they win the CL); Liverpool (although I don't think they will repeat this campaign next year), and arguably Spurs and Chelski ahead of them. With Chelski there's of course the big question marks what happens with Hazard, and where are they heading with Sarri; and will dubious Russian bilionaires be welcome again in post Brexit Britain.

The thing is Messi is going to be around longer than Alderweireld. Atleti have also won just two domestic trophies in the last 10 years and they are not as good now as they were from 2013-2016. Unless they drop into the Europa League, the chances of picking up silverware with Atleti is slim at best. Another thing to consider is that Atleti are themselves in need of a bit of a rebuild - Juanfran and Felipe Luis are finished, Godin has declined a bit as well and looks to be on his way out and they've lost Hernandez to Bayern. They spent a lot on Lemar and Vitolo but both have struggled and neither player looks to be a good fit for Simeone's system. Costa was brought back for a lot of money for basically half a good season - he's has some good performances here and there this season but overall he's been poor, become injury prone and his temper has let the team down on a few occasions which is why Morata was brought in and he's not all that good either.

6 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

The thing is Messi is going to be around longer than Alderweireld.

Not sure I'd go that far, as defenders usually last longer than attackers, but Alderweireld is only nine months younger than Messi so hanging around waiting for Messi to retire doesn't strike me as a route to glory, no.

1 minute ago, mormont said:

Not sure I'd go that far, as defenders usually last longer than attackers, but Alderweireld is only nine months younger than Messi so hanging around waiting for Messi to retire doesn't strike me as a route to glory, no.

That's true usually but Messi is an exceptional player. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he's still among the top players in the world at 35.

Yes, however I vaguely recall Messi banging on about wanting to end his career in Argentina. So assuming he is serious about this, and actually wants to play there while he is still in top of the world and not just as Maradona tribute act with a big belly moving around the pitch, that would also reduce his Barca time a bit.

Annoying stat of the day, apparently the 94 points Liverpool have now would have been enough to win the league in all but 2 of the seasons since 3 points for a win was introduced in 1981 and 11 of those seasons were 40 or 42 games. Ffs.:bang:

Shall I say which teams it were that got more points?

Spoiler

Obviously City with 100 points.

The other one was Chelski with 95 points. (the season after arsenal's invincibles I think).

Although the Chelsea fans have been booing the team, and particularly the manager, for a couple of months or more, achieving CL qualification and possibly (likely?) winning the EL would have been viewed as a positive season last July.

It hasn’t been the most convincing season, and they have a big uncertainty ahead with Pulisic arriving but Hazard probably leaving, but not actually a bad first season for Sarri.  But will he stick around while the fans won’t support him?

Reports that Sporting have accepted a €55m bid from City for Bruno Fernandes. 

The ideal scenario here would be for City to drop points tonight, preferably to a Tielemans masterclass coz I like him, but then VVD smacks a header into his own net on the weekend to give the title to City.