BigFatCoward

Football, a Sterling effort, but Virgil got Dijk'd.

I doubt that Barca need a complete overhaul, especially since they’ve already targeted DeJong and possibly DeLigt.  But they probably will change manager and that looks really tough on Ajax because their style is historically so similar.  Bad enough to lose players but to lose a manager too would be hard to bounce back.

Although I could imagine Pochettino being of interest too to Barca, if he can accommodate Messi not pressing.

25 minutes ago, Mme Erzulie said:

I've been critical of Matip, whose passes and clearances are too often wayward for my liking, but he has stepped it up massively in the past few months and was outstanding last night. He's really good at stepping out and intercepting balls before they get to the opposing forward, and last night he got a couple of crucial tackles in as well, if I remember correctly. He's well ahead of Lovren in the pecking order now, I think.

I said it back when you signed him, he is a genuinely good defender, and was an upgrade on what you had back then (Lovren and Sakho). However he has been quite injury prone since he joined Liverpool. Now that he has been able to play for a bit and find his footing, you can see who and what you actually signed back then. Well, you could also see it during his first Liverpool season. This season he had missed pretty much the first half due to injuries, and Gomez showing why he is one of the most promising up and coming centrebacks.

45 minutes ago, Mme Erzulie said:

Presuming to speak for the both of us, I don't think the problem Polish and I have is with criticising players, tactics or team selections. It's the fact that during one of the greatest seasons in the club's history, every time I check out this football thread, it's just almost all negative stuff. You'd think Klopp was Roy Hodgson leading us to 14th place in the league and we were getting knocked out by Ludogorets in CL qualifiers. 

Yeah basically this. I didn't necessarily mean to sweep Corvinus up (shouldn't have singled out names at all, my bad), but this season has been fucking fantastic for y'all and yet every time I look in this topic there's a group moan and an argument about which player is shitter. Reckon someone trying to judge the league table just from responses in these topics over the season would think Liverpool are below Arsenal and United. I know y'all are tense but seriously. It'd be nice to at least read about the positives too.

Also I'm never entirely serious when I'm swiping at you lot. Petty bitching at other clubs is an integral part of the football experience.

I guess I've just always preferred discussing the negative aspects more than the positives. Which is not to say I don't talk about the positives at all, but when I see problematic patterns in multiple games, and see the same players being the cause, I'm going to moan about it.

And I'm fine with people disagreeing with me on stuff, as many do here of course, but some of the blind adoration does get on my tits a bit.

Anyway, Polish, if all of the Liverpool fans on here had spent the season happily agreeing on how brilliant everything was and how everyone was amazing, would that really have made you any happier?

Ajax in front early again.

I don't know about Ajax being the better option for Liverpool to play in the final than Spurs. I think Ajax are just the better team, especially if Spurs don't have Kane. I think I'd still rather play Ajax, it'll be more fun and losing to another Premier League team would be very irritating.

I think playing Ajax in the final would be less stressful, as I'd mind less if they beat us.

Things haven't really changed for Spurs with the goal - 2 goals gets them through.

Heh, I might change my mind on who I want us to play. Ajax are so good at passing the ball through the press. They aren't too bad when they get into the attacking third either. 2-0.

Bloody hell, Ajax are carving up Spurs. Trippier is having a very poor game - he's constantly getting caught ahead of the ball and doesn't look arsed at trying to get back either which is dragging Alderweireld out of position to cover for him.

Ajax are very good.  They're usually a bit wasteful with their chances but obviously taking enough of them so far tonight.

They'll be a really difficult opponent in the final but I still prefer matching up against continental teams rather than domestic teams in the CL.  It just has greater novelty and interest.

Unrelated news: Chelsea's transfer ban for two windows has been upheld, so it will apply to this summer and the January window only.  But ironically they can still sign youth players even though this ban was a punishment for their abuses/exploitation of youth signings.

26 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Unrelated news: Chelsea's transfer ban for two windows has been upheld, so it will apply to this summer and the January window only.  But ironically they can still sign youth players even though this ban was a punishment for their abuses/exploitation of youth signings.

I wonder why their ban was not deferred though. Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid and Barcelona all appealed and had their respective bans deferred.

A lot of the Spurs players heads dropped a bit after the early goal and they weren't supporting attacks as much as they could, leading to things being a little more comfortable for Ajax than they could have been, but the second half has been completely different, and even more so after the first goal.

It'll be interesting to see how Ajax deal with the pressure.

1 minute ago, Consigliere said:

I wonder why their ban was not deferred though. Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid and Barcelona all appealed and had their respective bans deferred.

They've yet to take it to CAS, who may suspend the ban. That'll be their next step.

Dele Alli is still a cunt then.

Jenas on BT talking about how much he's grown up, moments after he deliberately trips Ziyech, ffs.

Can't believe Poch is persisting with Trippier marking De Ligt at set pieces. That's a total mismatch and De Ligt is winning every aerial duel.