Football, a Sterling effort, but Virgil got Dijk'd.

BigFatCoward

3 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Why even include the likes of Neymar, Suarez etc though? We aren't talking about Ballon d'Or here. This is an award just for the premier league and Sterling is without a shadow of a doubt a top 10 player in this league - he's been a top 3 attacking player in the league this season imo. Anyway, Sterling winning it is hardly madness. It was a close call between him and VVD just like it was between KdB and Salah last season. Van Dijk did win the PFA player of the year award so it's not like he's been hard done by. 

Because the discussion was whether he was one of the top 10 attacking players in the world.  My contention is he scrapes in at best - Messi, Ronaldo, Hazard, Salah, Mbappe, Neymar, Suarez, Kane, Aguero i'd say are all better than him, as is KDB when not injured. 

Anyway, its not like Scott Parker won it again. 

4 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

They have basically said that his stance on racism was a big part of why he got the award, so whether that should even be taken into account of whether someone is the best at football is another discussion.

The award is supposed to take 'example' into account.  However they have historically ignored this and given it to some proper twats, who happened to be the best footballer. 

Just as every neutral wants Ajax to win, surely every non Man Utd fan is desperate for Rio to get the job as mentioned by Mormont above?

4 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Just as every neutral wants Ajax to win, surely every non Man Utd fan is desperate for Rio to get the job as mentioned by Mormont above?

"The 40-year-old’s’ analytical approach as a BT Sport pundit’ has also impressed the club, and could see him placed in a role which will ‘guide transfer strategy and oversee negotiations while being in tune with the manager’."

Yes.. qualified.

17 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

"The 40-year-old’s’ analytical approach as a BT Sport pundit’ has also impressed the club, and could see him placed in a role which will ‘guide transfer strategy and oversee negotiations while being in tune with the manager’."

Yes.. qualified.

It's like getting into the SAS based on your call of duty scores. 

29 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

surely every non Man Utd fan is desperate for Rio to get the job as mentioned by Mormont above?

Luckily for United fans that article looks to be complete bullshit since they are quoting the Daily Mail.

No idea whether Ferdinand would make a good DoF or not. The EPL simply lacks experience with the DoF position. Ideally, you would Ferdinand (or any other former player) to work alongside a more seasoned DoF to learn the trade. As in this is how you deal with agents and player, this is how you deal with clubs. that's how you work with the manager and coaching staff, and that's how you coordinate that with your scouting staff.

The working with scouting staff seems to me to be the least problematic bit for somebody like Ferdinand. He has spent enough time to roughly judge whether a player has the talent/ability to make it.

Ajax are all over Spurs so far.

ETA: And they're in front.

ETA2: As ex United players who could potentially be a director of football go Van der Sar is the CEO at Ajax. I'm not entirely sure what his job description involves, Overmars is the actual DOF, but it seems possible he's got more relevant experience than Ferdinand.

Spurs looked better once Sissoko came on and they went more direct. In fact Ajax have looked vulnerable every single time an aerial ball has come into the box. The old fashioned 'get the ball into the mixer' tactic might actually serve Spurs better than trying to play a passing game as Ajax players have been pressing very well.

30 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I'd rather it was Cantona. He'd not be any better than Rio, despite having a completely fake stint as the New York Cosmos DoF  for a while, but... he's Eric Cantona.

I don't want either Rio or Cantona. Phelan would be a better option that either. Paul Mitchell would be the best option. It also depends on the role the club will be expecting the technical director to play as the actual role and responsibilities tend to vary widely between clubs. It's highly unlikely that the appointment at United will serve somewhat like a general manager (think Marotta or Berta etc).

12 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Spurs looked better once Sissoko came on and they went more direct. In fact Ajax have looked vulnerable every single time an aerial ball has come into the box. The old fashioned 'get the ball into the mixer' tactic might actually serve Spurs better than trying to play a passing game as Ajax players have been pressing very well.

Yeah, the feel of the game has changed a lot since Spurs realised they could get a lot of joy out of lumping the ball up to Llorente. They're playing in the Ajax half a lot more and Ajax have lost their composure on the ball a bit.

That's an excellent result for Ajax. On the plus side for Spurs the last 60 minutes or so was probably the worst Ajax have looked in the knockout stages so only a goal down they've got a little hope going into the second leg.

Spurs were essentially toothless. Relying on long balls up to Llorente yielded very little because his touch is so poor and none of the side could handle Ajax’s press ( which was brilliant actually)

Better in the second half as Erik and dele looked more dangerous 

22 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

.I guess a case could be made for Wijnaldum to play in this game, and it wouldn't be the end of the world if he did, but it's not like he's some super-defender who does off-the-ball stuff so much better than Keita. .

I know it was only Huddersfield but Keita really improved his defensive positioning. Thought it was his best overall game for us. Do prefer him over Gini but yeah I dont think Klopp will for this one. 

Archived