Death scene: Wight Viserion

Kajjo

WIGHT

Viserion's death scene finally cleared up without doubt that Viserion was a simple wight and not sort of a White Walker. There have been some discussions here, but I was always convinced that dead beings can only brought back as wight by the Nightking. 

So we saw White Walker shatter to icy shards, but we see wight crumble to body parts. 

Viserion crumbles to bones, too. He was without doubt a simple wight, under the control of the Nightking. So no weird theories needed about the Nightking having targaryen blood or being a dragon rider in the narrower sense of the word. The Nightking could simply control the wight dragon.  I like this clear resolution very much.

CGI

While I was no so amazed by the dragon CGI this time in general, I really appreciate the "dying Viserion" scene. The blue fire coming out of his torn body, neck and head was great, his facing of with Jon was epic. Here the CGI really was top.

QUESTION

What do you think intended Jon to do in the moment of Viserion's death? Just a suicide stand-off in hopelessness? Why did he raise himself?

While it was pretty hard to see what dragon was which mid-fight, it was pretty cool to see the "brothers" Viserion and Rhaegal duke it out, only to have Drogon dive-bomb Viserion into smithereens. 

As for Jon, I think he wen't "fuck it, I'm done".
...or maybe he wanted to see if he's fireproof as well. 

Was a weird scene but basically wasn't a good move from Jon. They wrote it specifically to make everyone look on deaths door before the save, no other reason for Jon to shout at a dragon, he had no chance though I was kinda hoping for him to be the dragonslayer when it became apparent that Arya was gonna be the Night King killer. At least he would have got some pay off and further his legend from this battle. Instead he just looked like a bit of a clown trying and failing to beat a dragon in a fight.

They did well to make Viscerion look like the stronger dragon though. Drogon is the biggest but I guess being a wight givs you that extra edge.

1 hour ago, Greenmonsterff said:

I was disappointed that Dany didn’t kill Viserion. It could have been a real moment, her having to kill her undead child.

Yes, I had hoped on that solution, too.

I like, however, that Daenerys only survived because she was fire-proof to wight dragon fire, too.

I would have preferred to see Jon actually fight Viserion.  That would have been a step in salvaging that episode for me.  Another step would be to have several of our other main characters take on some white walkers.  Would make it seem like everyone contributed, as opposed to them just surviving until they needed to be saved.  But I digress.

As for Viserion, I can only assume that by losing half his face, his flames were significantly weakened.  Otherwise that tiny rock Jon was cowering behind would have melted and there wouldn't be enough left of Jon to try and bring back a second time.  Still sad to see Viserion go down, he was always my favorite of the dragons.

13 hours ago, Kajjo said:

The blue fire coming out of his torn body, neck and head was great, his facing of with Jon was epic. Here the CGI really was top.

yeah, that was cool. it seemed like he was weakening.

The dragon fight was awesome. I loved it. Jon came close to getting bit at one point.

I was hoping to see Jon kill Viserion. I thought that's what he was doing when he ran out from behind the rock and then ran back. I thought he was looking for an opening to strike without getting toasted.

In the end I think he was just facing death with all the defiance he could muster.

12 hours ago, chatty83 said:

Was a weird scene but basically wasn't a good move from Jon. They wrote it specifically to make everyone look on deaths door before the save, no other reason for Jon to shout at a dragon, he had no chance though I was kinda hoping for him to be the dragonslayer when it became apparent that Arya was gonna be the Night King killer. At least he would have got some pay off and further his legend from this battle. Instead he just looked like a bit of a clown trying and failing to beat a dragon in a fight.

They did well to make Viscerion look like the stronger dragon though. Drogon is the biggest but I guess being a wight givs you that extra edge.

Jon maybe was confused about Targaryens and thought he could breath fire himself?

2 minutes ago, Ser Uncle P said:

Speaking of Dragons, where's Rhaegal at the end of Ep 3? 

He's in trailer for Ep 4, did he turn tail  and flee the battle like Drogon? 

He got his as whupped by Viscerion and was taken out of the battle. Considering they didn't show you I guess he either fled or was away from the Wights when taken down and just lay in a crmpled mess till he somehow miraculously recovers.

53 minutes ago, Ser Uncle P said:

Speaking of Dragons, where's Rhaegal at the end of Ep 3? 

He landed severely wounded and literally run and slid away, throwing Jon from his back. 

Since we see him flying in E4, he appears to recover fast enough, though. 

We don't know how much time, how many days are supposed to pass, yet. They will need weeks to burn the dead, heal the wounded, rebuild Winterfell, and collect themselves for the next war. It might be reasonable that a magical dragon heals up in a few weeks time.

Archived