The history of this community board.

Subterranean

Hi all,

I've been reading the ASOIaF books since starting Uni in 2002, and found these boards, on their original hosting (was it ezboards?) not long after. I was hooked to the stories, but a relatively infrequent poster, however I lurked a lot between the two hosted boards.

Although my(this) account still exists and tells me it was created November 6, 2005, it seems like all my old posts are no longer archived, or I'm not intelligent enough to find them. I have done a few searches but I would love to read through a few of the discussions I participated in years before the TV series was even announced. I remember for example the various posts discussing which actors should play which characters should it be made into a film, and Sean Bean was always the favourite for Eddard, but Patrick Stewart seemed to be the favourite for Tywin. I would love to read back through these discussions. Are the old posts archieved anywhere? If it is very obvious, please forgive an old man who was once a young man reading the books :)

Many Thanks.

During that era, Viggo Mortensen was just about equal in the running for Eddard.

Also, with the LOTR movies being a bit more recent, the way Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, et. al were made to look smaller to play hobbits, it was thought maybe the same would be done with Tyrion, so Mike Myers of Austin Powers fame was a top runner for the character but still Warwick Davis was the number 1 choice.

Sean Connery was everyone's #1 for Barristan the Bold even though even at that time he'd been retired.

Julianne Moore was GRRM's favorite for Cercei.

and this board has had three incarnations. Before this one was the EZ board, also run by Ran, before that was an EE site board, Ran didn't run that one but he was there and I believe one of the mods.

EE site = The First Ones

EZ Board = The Old Gods

This board 2005 - up until GOT premieres in 2011 = The New Gods

Post 2011 GOT premiere = The Floobs

I seem to remember several incidents where the board crashed quite badly, with substantial loss of data. Those posts from the early days of its current incarnation (post-ezboard) probably fell victim to one of these crashes.

20 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I suggested Charles Dance for Tywin after seeing him play Tulkinghorn in the BBC/PBS version of “Bleak House”.

:)

Don’t lie. You suggested Dance after you saw him in drag on the Ali G show.

In the beginning, there was the EE board. Slow and imperfect as it was, it is enshrined in our memory collective as a time of halcyon peace and innocence, a time when R+L = J was not KNOWN, but more of a secret handshake of fan-ness.  Its contents and actual membership have disappeared into legend and myth, but we all still worship the deity that emerged, like Zeus from the Titans, the all-powerful Ran.

Then came the time of the EZ Board.  Also, slow and imperfect, its time is known for threads that never ended, boarders with creative keyboarding skills, hills, Ottomans, NHAW, and possibly the Great Zorse War (though I may have the dates wrong - it was THAT LONG AGO).  It was during this time that the thesis that Wales does not exists was first proposed (I am told).  This thesis is still being debated today, though I believe that scientific evidence may have disproved it. This was the age of heroes.  Though some have been deified (at least in their own minds), others have instead faded away into legend.

Then the Board migrated to this platform.  It has gone through several incarnations since its first medieval incarnation, but it has a rich history including the promise of the hover car to be excavated from the misty fields of France, several adventures involving accidental nudity, the Great Champagne Wars, and the never-ending Fl00b invasions/absorptions.  But there are still threads that never end, and we are still "debating" US politics, and some of us still wander above the line into the pale sometimes (but not me - I'm a coward).

37 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Then came the time of the EZ Board.  Also, slow and imperfect, its time is known for threads that never ended, boarders with creative keyboarding skills, hills, Ottomans, NHAW, and possibly the Great Zorse War (though I may have the dates wrong - it was THAT LONG AGO).  It was during this time that the thesis that Wales does not exists was first proposed (I am told).  This thesis is still being debated today, though I believe that scientific evidence may have disproved it. This was the age of heroes.  Though some have been deified (at least in their own minds), others have instead faded away into legend.

and rants, it was the golden age of rants

3 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

and rants, it was the golden age of rants

Indeed, it was during this era that the classic form of the rant was developed.  A classic rant must include the following elements:  (1) a clearly stated grievance, (2) 2 non sequiturs of minimally relevant entertainment value, (3) at least three mis-spellings/grammatical errors which can serve as fodder for at least two response posts and (4) profanity as punctuation.  Since the time of the classic rant, the form has evolved (including to add a gratuitous ad hominem section), but sometimes it is good to go back to basics.

The way I break it down:

EE board: I was a young lad, intimidated by the internet and other posters, so I only ever talked about the books. Those seemed safe

EZ board: I was a callow youth, confident in how much I knew, and spent much of my time in Gen Chat; spreading wisdom to the masses.

This board: I was a man. First one who was obsessed about politics and then later one who realized its much less stressful to just talk about video games and movies and such; only rarely venturing out of Other Entertainment.

My casting was: Charles Dance for Tywin, seriously. For Stannis I thought Strong or Eccleston. For Dany I thought Teresa Palmer. Never had anyone specific in mind for Ned, but the actor playing Benjen fit my idea of Ned to a T once I saw him. 

Don’t remember any other specific castings...Jaime was vaguely Troy Brad Pitt, but knew that wasn’t happening...nothing else stands out that I can recall. The casting least like I pictured in the books was Renly.

Edward Norton was the favorite for Litttlefinger.

I always thought John Goodman would have been a great Robert Baratheon if he was only a little younger, then they went with the guy who played a younger Fred in the Flintstones in Rock Vegas movie.

10 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

I always thought John Goodman would have been a great Robert Baratheon if he was only a little younger, then they went with the guy who played a younger Fred in the Flintstones in Rock Vegas movie.

That's how you recall him?

I recognized him from A Knight's Tale.

7 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

That's how you recall him?

I recognized him from A Knight's Tale.

Didn't say that's how I recalled him, just that I imagined a younger John Goodman in the role and they went with a guy that played a younger version of the same character John Goodman played.

Of course I recalled Addy from Still Standing, the CBS sitcom where he played a family man living in the Chicago suburbs with three kids and married to Jamie Gertz. :P 

The EZ Board hung around after we abandoned it as Yuku... and Yuku was recently bought by Tapatalk, and indeed it is still around there. In fact, here's the casting call thread.

Unfortunately, they lost the names of everyone who had just a local (rather than EZ Board-wide) account, so it's a heap of guests mostly.

6 hours ago, Ran said:

The EZ Board hung around after we abandoned it as Yuku... and Yuku was recently bought by Tapatalk, and indeed it is still around there. In fact, here's the casting call thread.

Unfortunately, they lost the names of everyone who had just a local (rather than EZ Board-wide) account, so it's a heap of guests mostly.

Well that link just ate my night...

:)

Archived