Death scene: Theon

Kajjo

Theon made a bee-line for the one guy he knew he had to kill, he knew he was dead at this point, no way out of it, willingly put himself in that position in fact, but he made a charge at the one guy he needed to bring down to save everyone. I feel like in his shoes not many others would have done the same, and nearly all that attempted would be just as dead. 

The charge itself was a bit silly, obviously never saw Oberyn fight with a spear, I would have thought he would have feinted or something, not given his enemy a full five minutes or whatever channel his move.

Still RIP Theon, you were truly one of the great characters

18 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

The Nightking caught Arya, was sure he had her for good, wanted eye contact, wanted suffering and her knowing it will be the end. He is an arrogant bastard, overly self-confident and, as so often, it costs him his "life". 

Agreed. We see over and over that the Nightking is arrogant, and that he enjoys taunting and tormenting his victims a bit.

Everyone underestimates Arya, including the NK, and him trying to play with and taunt her makes more sense than him instantly snapping her neck.

3 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

Everyone underestimates Arya, including the NK, and him trying to play with and taunt her makes more sense than him instantly snapping her neck.

This. Exactly. Agreed.

Very believable. I don't understand why so many people moan about every single scene instead of thinking it through and understanding it.

I hated how he died. I didn't love this character but he was here for all the seasons and went through so many challenges. Just to die like this in the end... There could be a little battle at least. Not just running towards the death like a fool. 

There are some deaths like this in Game of Thrones. It's a pity.

Except ... 

What if Bran knew? 

Okay, so, stay with me here.  What if Bran knew that Arya was on her way?  Somehow, cosmically, what if he knew?  He knows that Arya is going to arrive in the nick of time, so he knows that he is going to live and so is, well, Theon.  

And what if Bran fucking HATES Theon?  So.. the scene looks something like this:

Bran: Theon?

Theon: (Looks knowingly at Bran) 

Bran: Theon... you're a good man, Theon!

(Music swells)

Theon: (nods knowingly... then pats Bran on the shoulder and stands besides Bran)

Bran: What... what are you doing?

Theon: I'm waiting for the inevitable with you, Bran!  Together.  Like brothers!

Bran: B... but aren't you going to charge mindlessly at that god-like creature with untold powers and abilities that is somehow still alive after, what, 1000s of years, hundreds of attacks, arrows, swords, and at LEAST 15 seconds of dragonfire?  I mean, you know, for Winterfell?

Theon: Ah... I mean.. n-no.  It makes no sense and I wanted to be here with you when we die.  Together.  Like brothers...

Bran: Yeah, except you aren't my brother!  I fucking HATE you, Theon!  

Theon: Bran?!  You just said I was a good man?

Bran: Yeah, I ... (holds the bridge of his nose with one of his hands while closing his eyes, whispering) you fucking idiot (looks back up at Theon) I said that so you would go and kill yourself needlessly!  I mean, Arya will be here any second and I don't want you to live.  

Theon: B... but I ... I

Bran: YOU KILLED TWO COMPLETELY INNOCENT BOYS!  You sacked Winterfell which lead to Robb's death; you killed Ser Rodrick Cassell; you lead to the death of MAster Luwin; because you did all this shit, Ramsey Bolton came to power which lead to Rickon's death; you lead to countless deaths with sacking Winterfell and then having it retaken by Ramsey.  FUCK YOU SHOULD BE DEAD TEN TIMES OVER! 

Wright (looking suspiciously like Stannis Baratheon)" I was definitely going to kill you.

Wright (looking suspiciously like Ramsey Bolton): I tried. 

Stannis Wright: Shut your mouth, bastard, you would have been next.

Ramsey Wright: Still bitter?

Bran: God, I hate you Theon!  And WANT YOU DEAD!  But I'm a Stark and what male Starks do is we WANT people to die, but we never actually kill anyone.  Its the whole "Honor" bullshit!  My father perfected it the way he wanted  Aerys dead, but didn't do anything; he just waited for Jaime to kill Aerys so that HE could hate Jaime forever!  Same things with you and your father, and Tywin Lannister and pretty much everyone else the Starks have ever hated!  Male Starks don't ever kill anyone!  We just wait for them to make their deaths justified!  And then we ENDLESSLY JUDGE the people who did the killing!  

(In that exact instant, Arya Stark jumps up and kills the Night King)

Bran: SEE!!!!!  

Theon: Bran... you... you... you've changed!  

Bran: Arya...

Arya: No problem.  (walks up and kills Theon)

Bran: Thank you.

Arya: He's right , though; you are sort of a dick now!

Bran: Pfft... this from the woman who just killed poor Theon!  

See, there is a line of logic that says that Bran INTENTIONALLY made Theon kill himself becasue, well, Theon was a bad person, redemption arc or not.  Bran- the old Bran and the newer one - wanted Theon to die and so said the one thing that he KNEW would have made Theon go out in a blaze of COMPLETELY NEEDLESS GLORY!  

Because Bran is kind of a dick.  

I thought it was a pretty good aspect of the episode tbh, probably my favourite of the little battles going on with characters spread all over the place.

Theon knew he was going to be right where the enemy wanted to be, he knew him and his men were probably doomed but he fought on all the same. I think at the end there he realised that he finally had a purpose; it wasn't to be off sailing as a pirate, or sitting on a throne back in Pike, or being someone else's lapdog or a coward. His place and his purpose was in Winterfell, defending the people he'd grown up with as a child; people he'd had as friends and foolishly betrayed in the past to try and be something he wasn't.
Finally after all those season he's found his place.

I feel sorry for the poor bastard, he made some terrible mistakes trying to be something he could never be. And he paid for it in every way possible. But at least at the end of the world he find appreciation from the people who he should have stayed with all along.

I honestly thought there was more between him and Sansa in this season too, they seemed closer friends after all they'd been through and him returning north seemed to open her up a bit as his friend. Guess that's ruined now! In fact it's interesting how the people that Sansa has realised are most important to her are all those people she initially hated, or mistrusted; Arya, Tyrion, Theon. She's been surrounded by people who actually care about her and treat he well, she just never seemed to realise it.

On 4/29/2019 at 2:59 PM, chatty83 said:

I don't mind Jon and co forgiving him. Bran is an utter weirdo now and isn't really Bran so I guess his is easier to pass, it seems his only purpose these days is to forgive people. That said Sansa has a bond with Theon due to Ramsey so I get that and I think Jon knows theres more important things happening and deep down knows Theon screwed up badly but it was more to do with him searching for family than maliciously against the Starks. His dad basically set him up and played Theon.

Theons main problem is that he was abandoned by the Iron Born and hung out to dry. He was brought up by Ned but was outcast somewhat due to not really being one, somewhat like Jon but possibly more so. His dad was scummy to him as well so he did some silly stuff and paid the price. Pretty rough life had by Theon, essentially kidnapped as a child, not truly accepted by either family, kidnapped as an adult, mutilated and tortured, plagued by cowardness, outcast by his uncle who wants to kill him and then killed by a White Walker. He got some redemption but he probably paid more over the a tory arc.

if hed waited Arya could have saved him, nevermind, one last bad choice before death.

I thought the Stark's treated him very well///he was especially close to Robb and fought for him  Cat was right when she said not to send Theon home to make an alliance.  His father and the Iron born treated him like shit and messed with his head.  I think he was more of a Stark then a Greyjoy and proved it at the end.

2 hours ago, JonStarkIII said:

I thought the Stark's treated him very well///he was especially close to Robb and fought for him  Cat was right when she said not to send Theon home to make an alliance.  His father and the Iron born treated him like shit and messed with his head.  I think he was more of a Stark then a Greyjoy and proved it at the end.

He was close to Robb and Jon was probably good with him growing up but judging by Sansa treatment of Jon its likely he got some of the same and I think living in Winterfell he would have got a lot of stick, which we see some off in the earlier seasons. Maybes not so much hatred but tough love from the Northern factions he lived amongst who didn't take him as one of their own like Ned and Caitlynn may have done more of. Whatever it was he semed always searching for a true home, just never realised he was there most of his life.

Archived