Observations

Sam Fan

I gave the episode an 8. Enjoyed watching it more the 2nd time.

Biggest negative for me was 7.5 minutes of Arya in the library and stumbling around halls.

My negative was semi-redeemed by the her reply about death, "Not Today". Loved that and the look on her face after she said it.

Don't think Sansa wasn't portrayed right in the crypt. She assumed a leadership role in the Battle of Blackwater. I think both Sansa and Tyrion would have done something.

I have no problem with the Night King being dead and moving on to the real fight with the devil (Cersei). I am curious about how that will fill three full episodes.

In both of my times watching the battle I wanted to scream, "Come on, that's not playing fair" when the Night King looks at Jon, brings the dead back to life and walks away.

I think the Night King was afraid to fight Jon knowing Jon's sword was valeryian steel.

Let's make it easy, just send Arya to assassinate Cersei.

Predication: The Second Sons join the fight.

I like the idea of this thread as it's not a rant and rave, but I can comment on things that felt not quite right while still appreciating the episode.

Like you I enjoyed it better on a rewatch. I rated it a 7, but only due to the character implications it means for the books. As a whole the episode was awesome. It had everything I like in a show or movie, but when in context of the series it made some decisions I can only assume are mistakes (please let them be mistakes).

Why have arya have the big kill moment? I've decided that will be one of the kills in the book, but without a NK that leaves Jon, Dany and Bran plenty for themselves as well.

Why does Jon seem so useless in this fight? I have again decided for his parentage to matter in the show he was the one to bring everyone there together for the big fight! TPtwP was only to get enough people to care about the Long night.

Why didn't the Long night effect most of westeros? Because that wouldn't work as well on screen as it does in book.

Cersei as the last big bad? Well D&D left out fAegon, someone needs to sit the IT until the Danycan get there.

All in all I'm happier than I was originally, and as a zombie fan I actually really like Arya's library scene. Haha

Things I hope aren't implications for the books...

-Sandor/Arya relationship is gorgeous in show, but I'm a bit of a SanSan in book. They haven't even had a quick talk this season. Please let them have a nice reunion in book

-Bran was pretty useless... please let him do something bad ass in books

-Sansa had the chance to be calming and "queenly" in the cypts, please let her have another go at showing she is a good leader in books.

- please no wighted Starks!!

My issue was the lack of continuity. Characters are left off in one location and then picked up an another with no rational explanation as to how they got there:

• Melisandre riding up out of the darkness in front of a horde of bloodthirsty zombies
  • Mormont riding into darkness with the Dothraki (with Ghost, who is never seen again), and then he and he alone makes it back
  • Arya fighting wights in the yard, and suddenly she's in the library
  • Jon out in the field surrounded by literally thousands of new-made wights, and suddenly has back in the castle
  • Sansa and Tyrion, hiding in the crypts and contemplating suicide while all those who look to them for protection and getting massacred, are suddenly on the run and find Varys et al also hiding
  • and the big one: Arya in the room with Mel, the Hound and dead Beric with wights beating on the doors, and suddenly she's leaping out of the weirwood in the godswood, unseen and unnoticed by the dozens of walkers and probably hundreds of wights all around

And for a series based on a book that prides itself on the notion that it doesn't matter how important a character is when it's time to die, there certainly were an awful lot of miraculous rescues.

4 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:
  • Mormont riding into darkness with the Dothraki (with Ghost, who is never seen again), and then he and he alone makes it back

That's simply not true. There are more returning than only Jorah. Watch again.

5 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:
  •  Arya fighting wights in the yard, and suddenly she's in the library

No, she enters the buildings. Watch again. I am not so appreciative about the library scene, too, but it was not unlogical.

6 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:
  •  Jon out in the field surrounded by literally thousands of new-made wights, and suddenly has back in the castle

Daenerys killed very many with fire and saves Jon. Then Jon returns to the castle. It's not perfect and a bit weak, but not a real plot hole. A little bit too simple, yes.

7 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:
  • and the big one: Arya in the room with Mel, the Hound and dead Beric with wights beating on the doors, and suddenly she's leaping out of the weirwood in the godswood, unseen and unnoticed by the dozens of walkers and probably hundreds of wights all around

This has been explained more than enough now: The Nightking turned of the wights. They were already not attacking Theon anymore. The NK is arrogant and want to do the job himself. The WW do not attack Theon as well and let the NK solve the issue.

So Arya comes running, he gets her easily at the throat. No problem. Just that she can do this "change the hand" trick and she does have a Valyrian dagger. Very believable. Not a plot hole at all. Stop moaning.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the place for this or not, but it is all over the Forum about  Arya and her suddenly appearing in the weirwood.....Throughout ALL of her training, at home as a young girl at Winterfell, at Kings Landing with Syrio Forel, while she was on the run from Kings Landing both with Yoren and later with Sandor Clegane.  Even at Harrenhal and of course ultimately at Braavos with the Faceless Men, Arya has learned many, many things.  Not the least of which is how to be "no one".  There is a second when a slight breeze pushes at a White Walker in the weirwood as the Night King approaches Bran.  They think nothing of it as there is no one there.  That was Arya.  That was No One.  That was the ultimate downfall of the arrogant Night King.  He thought he was untouchable with hundreds of thousands of wights.  The White Walker elites were there to only protect him---notice they did not enter the battle.  They are too valuable.  If a WW is killed how many wights would follow?  Arrogance and the brilliance of Arya Stark is what killed the Night King.  It was amazing and it was perfect and I am so happy with that outcome.....

Archived