White Book and Queesnguard

CAllDSmith

It is the tradition that the pages of the White Book are written by the Kingsguard (Dunk's entries must be amazing lol) and it would seem that these pages are not allowed to be edited or corrected. (Jaime never considers changing what Barristan or Gerold put on his page for example.) This raises a number of questions for me as it relates to the KG during and after the Dance. 

1.Are the Queensguard included? If Lorent Marbrand took the time to update the White Book would the pages he wrote be allowed to remain? 

To expand on this do these men have entries in the White Book or are considered Lord Commanders? Steffon Darklyn, Lorent Marbrand, Glendon Goode, Erryk Cargyll, Lyonel Bentley, Harrold Darke, Adrian Redfort, Loreth Lansdale. I would think that they should be, but it would not surprise me if they are not. 

2. If Criston Cole took the time to complete the entries for Darklyn, Marbrand and Cargyll would Marbrand have had the authority to change those entries when they took the Red Keep? 

3.Would Willis Fell have the authority to change them back, and presumably Criston Cole's as well? 

4. I'm not saying it's likely but if Robin Massey had had the time to write his and Robert Darklyn's names in the White Book would they remain after Peake dismissed them? (Also does Robert Darklyn count as one of the seven Darklyn KG?) 

5. Does all of this get set right in some definitive way when Aegon III finally gets a Lord Commander he actually wanted (Perhaps Robert Darklyn returning, or Ruskyn not being total trash?)

And two questions I had after the fact. 

4. Does the White Book ever record the lives of the KG after they take the black? For example could/did Gyles Morrigen go back and include that Olyver Bracken and Raymund Mallery further shamed themselves by rebelling against the NW? Or does he include anything about what Lucamore the Lusty, Jon Tollett, or Symond Crayne did on the Wall? 

5.What happens with Barristan's entry to the White Book? He supposedly finished it by saying that he was dismissed, but if he comes back with Dany does that change to something else? Or does his reality of going and serving Dany ever get recorded either way?

I don't think revision has been seriously considered outside of the Night's King and his kinship to the Starks.  Gyldayn and the authors of WoiaF were playing with words to avoid trouble with the Baratheons.  The Erasure of the KGs book of deeds has not been seriously written into the plot.

On 4/29/2019 at 10:19 PM, Lord Varys said:

I'm pretty sure the Queensguard are counted as Kingsguard in the White Book. They did heroic deeds, after all.

True, but no Lannister's are really singing about Stark heroics and vice versa. And no one's singing a song about how brave Daemon Blackfyre was at Redgrass Field. This could also explain why Jaime thinks that Criston Cole was "the best and the worst" Jaime only really knows what he read in the White Book, which Criston Cole partly wrote

One assumes that the White Book was only updated about Dance events during the Regency era. And while there were Green Lord Commanders there - first Fell and then Waters - the king they both served was Aegon III.

Cole's great and brave deeds would have all been from before the Dance, one assumes. He didn't do anything particularly brave or great after he had crowned Aegon II king. He was just murdering people, conceiving traps, and leading campaigns where he didn't exactly do anything brave or great.

But I don't think the White Book actually vilifies Kingsguard. Jaime also could read the facts about himself therein. Selmy apparently left some of his tourney victories out but listing them wouldn't have bettered his overall reputation.

30 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

One assumes that the White Book was only updated about Dance events during the Regency era. And while there were Green Lord Commanders there - first Fell and then Waters - the king they both served was Aegon III.

Cole's great and brave deeds would have all been from before the Dance, one assumes. He didn't do anything particularly brave or great after he had crowned Aegon II king. He was just murdering people, conceiving traps, and leading campaigns where he didn't exactly do anything brave or great.

But I don't think the White Book actually vilifies Kingsguard. Jaime also could read the facts about himself therein. Selmy apparently left some of his tourney victories out but listing them wouldn't have bettered his overall reputation.

Not to mention that Criston wouldn't have had the opportunity to update the book on the campaign. But I feel like there's not much besides vilification to be done for men like Lucamore the Lusty and about 5/7 of Maegor's last batch of KG

Archived