Where Was Lord Yohn Royce?

L’Age d’or

This guy is the commander of the biggest army after Dany's, is pretty much acting Warden Of The East; however since coming to the North he was only seen bowing scraping to Sansa. If that was not insult enough, he let Brienne Of Tarth - for whatever reason - lead his army of the Knights Of The Vale while he went MIA all battle long. After two viewings I failed to spot him anywhere, it might not be as baffling as some other failings of logic in the last night's episode, but I couldn't find any reason for his absence. 

I saw birdie shields, so his men were out there at least. Maybe Yohn was commander of the Knitting Brigade, and he was one of the dead bodies in the hearth. h

Better question: where is Sweet Robin? Sucking his thumb somewhere? Waiting for Sansa to come be his bride?

My theory is that he had to use the bathroom (number two, obv) and missed the Long Night, which actually only lasted about 72 minutes.  Really more of the Quick Night this time around, although maybe they meant long figuratively.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

My theory is that he had to use the bathroom (number two, obv) and missed the Long Night, which actually only lasted about 72 minutes.  Really more of the Quick Night this time around, although maybe they meant long figuratively.

It's a LONG night when you number 2 for 72 minutes.....your legs lose all blood flow and then you're really in trouble....

7 minutes ago, Skills said:

Are they going to have the knights of the Vale save the day against the North's enemies...again?

Surely they wouldn't dare rehash that bit, would they?

Ok, more speculation. It's possible Sansa already knows who Jon is, and is already working with her co-conspirators to crown Jon. I would say they are planning to hold a Great Council, but the show has never even mentioned Great Councils. So maybe just a unified front to support Jon. Maybe the knights of the Vale were held back in reserve so they would have a standing army. In addition to the various houses in the north that did not answer the banners because Jon stepped down.

Yet, that's only based on logical conclusions to plot arcs, and they already threw all that out the window. So, who knows?

I think that the Vale-troops we saw this episode was the actual knights of the vale.
Unlike the Dothraki however, they where smart enough to realize that a cavalry-charge into a massive, fearless, unyielding blob of literal death is a big no-no, so they fought on foot. 

1 minute ago, MinscS2 said:

I think that the Vale-troops we saw this episode was the actual knights of the vale.
Unlike the Dothraki however, they where smart enough to realize that a cavalry-charge into a massive, fearless, unyielding blob of literal death is a big no-no, so they fought on foot. 

The knights of the Vale are mounted cavalry. 

1 minute ago, longest night said:

Yes, I did. Not charging mindlessly into an undead mass doesn't mean they still aren't heavy cavalry.

9 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

Just now, longest night said:

I am aware of what you said, and I know it's possible. You have cavalry, you should use it effectively, but then they clearly don't use it effectively... 

How do you use cavalry effectively when on the defense, and against an enemy such as the AotD though?
The simple answer is: you don't. 

Mount of, form defensive ranks with all the other infantry and hope that your formation doesn't break. 

Archived