Potential relationship Sansa/Tyrion ?

9 minutes ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

Hmmm I dont know. If Tyrion married Sansa, Dany would be able to claim the North through Tyrion and ensure their loyalty to her queenship. Its basically what Tywin tried to do. 

That is very true and a great point, I'm just not sure Dany would see it that way. She already seems to perceive Sansa as a threat and has been fairly vocal about her growing distrust of Tyrion and/or his abilities, and is running out of advisors to convince her otherwise. I would much prefer they work it out diplomatically as you've suggested, their scenes yesterday were refreshingly human and I'd like to see more of them.

I think if their loyalties were not divided (as Sansa herself pointed out), they could make a great couple and would certainly be a very politically advantageous match. But what I saw in Tyrion's eyes, I did not see in Sansa's, although there was something there, perhaps platonic affection and respect.

Sansa has never failed to defend how well he treated her when they were married.I would love to see her gradually fall in love with him, but there isn't time left in the show, so it would feel forced.

17 hours ago, Raksha 2014 said:

I think for Sansa it is essential that she trusts a man before she would even consider a romantic or marital relationship.  And she is trusting Tyrion now much more than she ever did in King's Landing.  So...maybe.  Though I think that Tyrion's destiny, if he lives, is in the South and Sansa's is in the North.  We'll see...

I agree. 

15 hours ago, greensleeves said:

Why is it important for Sansa to do this and not Tyrion (who at least in the books is ruthlessly dismissive of any woman who's not beautiful)?

Anyways, no I don't think it will happen.

I don't think it will either, but Sansa lived in a fairy tale world where a handsome knight was going to rescue her from her tower and she'd live happily ever after. She put more importance on beauty and flattery. She's not alone in that--most young girls do the same thing. And then they grow up. 

Let's not turn this into a sexist battle. Tyrion long ago learned that beautiful faces often hide ugly souls. His own sister is the poster child for that. 

1 hour ago, Larger than Average Finger said:

This of all the potential couples to resolve the conflict most resembles Henry VII and Elizabeth of York.

How do you figure exactly?
Jon (Elizabeth of York) and Daenerys (Henry Tudor) fits the bill however.

19 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

How do you figure exactly?
Jon (Elizabeth of York) and Daenerys (Henry Tudor) fits the bill however.

Because Henry Tudor had a dubious at best claim to the Throne, but was accepted and ended the debate marrying someone very high on the other side.

Both Jon and Daenerys have a much better claim, but Tyrion not so much.

Its all pure speculation of course, but we now have several couples who bring houses together, and could be seen similarly.  Gendry's claim may be most similar to Henry the 7'th as well.

The only reason why Sansa would end up with Tyrion is because Benioff=Tyrion and to him Tyrion is the awesomest of Awsometonia and owed everything under the sun. It serves no story purpose since they took romantic marriage or arranged marriage off the table when they put Sansa in the Jeyne Poole plot. It's BS that Tyrion is the 'best of them' if only because Sansa's only other experiences are freaking Joff and Ramsey. Of course Tyrion comes out smelling like roses when compared to them. How is that any foundation for a union between these two? And what did Tyrion ever do for her? All he did was what Joff and Ramsey didn't, aka he displayed human decency. So what? Tyrion was still loyal to his family despite being decent to Sansa and he didn't do a damn thing to get Sansa out of her prison.

Sansa should end the show solo, simple as that. Any marriage or romance should be left in the realm of 'what if' that people can imagine themselves. Like once it's over, people can imagine she got with Pod or Tyrion or unnamed guy X or whatever.

Sansa ending up alone - there's a huge disparity with that. Arya is getting all the sexual agency and satisfaction in the world and Sansa would have just gotten raped horribly. I dont think D&D or GRRM are going to do Sansa dirty like that. I also think Tyrion represents a lot of past traumas for her, and "best of them" was NOT a compliment or a good thing. 

41 minutes ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

Sansa ending up alone - there's a huge disparity with that. Arya is getting all the sexual agency and satisfaction in the world and Sansa would have just gotten raped horribly. I dont think D&D or GRRM are going to do Sansa dirty like that. I also think Tyrion represents a lot of past traumas for her, and "best of them" was NOT a compliment or a good thing. 

They DID Sansa dirty when putting her in Jeyne's plot. No coming back from that. And GRRM is not D&D or vice versa as Sansa's story completely diverged from the books in S5. D&D don't give a damn about Sansa, they have shown that over and over and then some. In any Tyrion & Sansa endgame, the reason for it would simply be that Tyrion gets everything because he's awesome. And as far as the show goes, he's Benioff's self-proclaimed self-insert. Hence he's perfect and everyone sucks his **** no matter what he does.

Arya gets it all because she is the only character in the show (except for the Tyrell women) for whom the patriarchy doesn't apply. She was never so much as threatened with rape, she was free to pursue her own path, she was free to chose when to have sex and even drove the bus on that one despite no experience whatsoever. Heck, people even ask her if she's old enough to drink. And they think nothing of a girl traveling alone.

Sansa is a girly girl, so she deserves to suffer under the system. Arya is a guy in a girl's body so the system doesn't apply to her.

30 minutes ago, Mystical said:

They DID Sansa dirty when putting her in Jeyne's plot. No coming back from that. And GRRM is not D&D or vice versa as Sansa's story completely diverged from the books in S5. D&D don't give a damn about Sansa, they have shown that over and over and then some. In any Tyrion & Sansa endgame, the reason for it would simply be that Tyrion gets everything because he's awesome. And as far as the show goes, he's Benioff's self-proclaimed self-insert. Hence he's perfect and everyone sucks his **** no matter what he does.

I agree about the Tyrion re-writing. But I think LF is going to molest Sansa in the books too anyway because he's creeping on her like crazy. So the disparity in sexual agency might be about the same in books or show at this point anyway. 

16 minutes ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

I agree about the Tyrion re-writing. But I think LF is going to molest Sansa in the books too anyway because he's creeping on her like crazy. So the disparity in sexual agency might be about the same in books or show at this point anyway. 

So what? Women are not interchangeable rape dolls and abusers are not interchangeable either. Every abuser is different just like every victim is. Sansa might face something similar in the books, sure. But it would be under entirely different circumstances with an entirely different character doing it to her. And Sansa is a different character in the books than in the show.

And for show Sansa, I don't see any way for her to end up in a romance given the time that is left on the show. If they do a big time jump in the last episode and we see '5 years later', that would be cheap as hell. An arranged marriage is pretty much off the table entirely as well, as there is no way I would believe that Sansa would go there again willingly unless her husband meets an untimely 'accidental' death 5 minutes after the marriage ceremony.

Tyrion & Sansa as end game makes also no sense to me in the show. There have never been romantic feelings there. The circumstances of their formative relationship (aka S3) happened while she was a prisoner of his family, he did nothing to help her escape said prison and he was in love with another woman at the time and still loyal to his family. You'd have to discard (aka retcon) their history in order to make that ship believable in the time that is left. And basing it on the fact that Tyrion 'was the best of them' when the bar is as insanely low as Joff and Ramsey, well that's just insulting to Sansa or any woman for that matter.

7 minutes ago, Mystical said:

And for show Sansa, I don't see any way for her to end up in a romance given the time that is left on the show. If they do a big time jump in the last episode and we see '5 years later', that would be cheap as hell. An arranged marriage is pretty much off the table entirely as well, as there is no way I would believe that Sansa would go there again willingly unless her husband meets an untimely 'accidental' death 5 minutes after the marriage ceremony.

Tyrion & Sansa as end game makes also no sense to me in the show. There have never been romantic feelings there. The circumstances of their formative relationship (aka S3) happened while she was a prisoner of his family, he did nothing to help her escape said prison and he was in love with another woman at the time and still loyal to his family. You'd have to discard (aka retcon) their history in order to make that ship believable in the time that is left. And basing it on the fact that Tyrion 'was the best of them' when the bar is as insanely low as Joff and Ramsey, well that's just insulting to Sansa or any woman for that matter.

The only flaw in your statement (which I agree with 100%) is that D&D do not now and have never understood or been able to write Sansa's character well. They will retcon the hell out of anything to get Tyrion a suitable trophy wife if they can, and right now she is one of the few highborn ladies that we see left in Westeros.

On 4/30/2019 at 12:24 PM, Ice Queen said:

I don't think it will either, but Sansa lived in a fairy tale world where a handsome knight was going to rescue her from her tower and she'd live happily ever after. She put more importance on beauty and flattery. She's not alone in that--most young girls do the same thing. And then they grow up. 

Let's not turn this into a sexist battle. Tyrion long ago learned that beautiful faces often hide ugly souls. His own sister is the poster child for that. 

Let's not pretend that there isn't a sexist double standard at play here.

To correct you: Sansa has always been polite to everyone (even ugly people). However she dreamt of being married to a handsome man when she was a child (and there's nothing wrong with that).

As far as I know, not only has Tyrion never been in a sexual/romantic relationship with anyone who wasn't conventionally attractive, but in the books, he actively treats conventionally unattractive women poorly.

By this point in the books, Sansa can see beyond skin-deep ugliness in men (even if she doesn't want to be in a relationship with them). Tyrion cannot see beyond skin-deep ugliness in women. So who really needs to be taught the lesson? 

Sansa was ahead of Tyrion on this issue even as a child.

Archived