The Great Unwashed

Avengers Endgame- SPOILERS II

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Tony's selfish desire to bring everyone back, but do so without actually going back is problematic. I get that he didn't want to lose the time he had with Pepper and his daughter, but if they reset everything so only a moment had passed after the snap, why couldn't he still have had that life?  From a future story perspective, they really needed to reset to just after the original snap. It might have made Tony's story even more tragic, but it seems that that would have been better.

But was Pepper already pregnant? If she wasn't pregnant before the snap, then there is no way he would've ended up with the same daughter. He probably didn't want to risk it.

Was gonna see this for the second time yesterday, but it was sold out. Apparently a lot of people had the idea to go watch it with their mom on Mother's Day.

Edit: Oh. And I read that for an after credits scene they decided to put in a Spider Man trailer.

Edited by A True Kaniggit

20 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Tony's selfish desire to bring everyone back, but do so without actually going back is problematic. I get that he didn't want to lose the time he had with Pepper and his daughter, but if they reset everything so only a moment had passed after the snap, why couldn't he still have had that life?

Undoing the last five years would effectively be killing the current versions of all the people in the universe who survived the first snap, his daughter being just one example. Plenty of people might be willing to make that sacrifice, but forcing it on everyone is a bit morally dubious. And also it turned out to be impossible to change the past anyway, just split of additional timelines. Restoring the universe to the physical state it was in 5 years earlier and erasing everyone's memories of the intervening time might be technically possible, but that's still either murdering trillions of children or having trillions of children seeming to appear from nowhere with no memory of who they are.

20 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

From a future story perspective, they really needed to reset to just after the original snap.

Why? Don't the ramifications of the five years have lots of potential for telling interesting stories? Reset buttons suck.

5 hours ago, felice said:

Undoing the last five years would effectively be killing the current versions of all the people in the universe who survived the first snap, his daughter being just one example. Plenty of people might be willing to make that sacrifice, but forcing it on everyone is a bit morally dubious. And also it turned out to be impossible to change the past anyway, just split of additional timelines. Restoring the universe to the physical state it was in 5 years earlier and erasing everyone's memories of the intervening time might be technically possible, but that's still either murdering trillions of children or having trillions of children seeming to appear from nowhere with no memory of who they are.

Why? Don't the ramifications of the five years have lots of potential for telling interesting stories? Reset buttons suck.

I realize I might be understanding the time travel/alternate reality mechanics of the movie, but if Tony resets the snap a moment after it happened, the is still a reality where the five years still passed...

The storytelling possibilties going forward are interesting, sure. If one trusts that the people making the movies and stories going forward will adhere to internal continuity as it's been established.  We'll see what happens with the next Spider-Man movie, but having a movie universe set 5 years ahead of reality?  I expect it'll all be ignored and/or abandoned by the first movie of phase 4.  If you're not going to stick to it, then it should have been reset.

Uhh, this may give them a cushion so they can do some cosmic movies and storytelling from during the five year gap, then resume in 2023 when we get to...... 2023.  (?) 

If you snapped away the last 5 years then it'd be like Thanos didn't teach us anything.   And why so much snapping anyway?   It's a gauntlet.  There should have been more fisting.

2 hours ago, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

tooooooo muchhhhh b-grade marvel sh&&&&t

The movies are great but all these crappy spinoff shows with b-grade characters need to go... 

The fuck are you even talking about? 

13 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Tony's selfish desire to bring everyone back, but do so without actually going back is problematic. I get that he didn't want to lose the time he had with Pepper and his daughter, but if they reset everything so only a moment had passed after the snap, why couldn't he still have had that life?  From a future story perspective, they really needed to reset to just after the original snap. It might have made Tony's story even more tragic, but it seems that that would have been better.

It was selfish, but I don't think unwarrantedly so.  I mean, if I had a daughter who loved me three thousand I wouldn't want to risk that either.  Further, as @felice mentioned, I'm not sure about the ethics of wiping away 5 years of existence.  Who knows what happened in that interval?  Certainly there were more children made, relationships blossom, individuals developing careers, etc.  It would actually be more arrogant, and selfish, for Tony to do that than just bring the snapped people back to the current time period.

As for the future story perspective, as I said way upthread I generally agree - very much so.  I am not a fan of the MCU devolving into multiverses and I think that's where they've now jumped the shark.  Whatever, we got a decade and 22 movies out of a stable, coherent timeline.  Seems as if the plan now is to let all hell break loose.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

byThe fuck are you even talking about? 

what part don't you understand ?

Luke Cage... pass

Jessie whateverhename is … pass

agents of shield...… double pass

that old carter chick from the cap America movie..... triple bypass..

wandavision….  sounds like a name for a new screen at the cinema and two of the most boring avengers together in a show... pass.

Totally milking the marvel gravy train

Guess you'd watch

The adventures of hot pie

Brotherhood without banners feat arrow guy and others, minus beric and thoros too big for the show.

Roz prequel her rise from low end hooker to king's landing star.

Edited by StoneColdJorahMormont

Umm, why wouldn't/shouldn't they milk something that makes money.. which also clearly indicates audience interest. I mean.. uh. Yeah.

Posted (edited)

it's all kinda b-grade kitsch, ain't it?  we're not reading virginia woolf or dante here.

Edited by sologdin

I’m happy for them to milk it because they seem to doing a pretty good job of consistently putting out decent movies and shows. 

The marvel Netflix stuff I agree was pretty weak overall I think due to the 13 episode format, otherwise I’m glad it exists 

yeah, the netflix shows did quite a bit more in quantity and quality of writing than the cinema releases.  

23 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

The clumsy start with Captain Marvel, and it's only clumsy in that it seems like something was skipped with it, and the 5 year jump are the only real gripes, and I say gripes and not complainys, because I'm not truly.complaining about them.

Because he could not guarantee, in fact he could almost guarantee his daughter would not exist in that new timeline.  

24 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Also I would totally watch a hot pie show.

I also don’t think you know what b grade marvel characters are.

I just want marvel to stick with characters we all know and love, like Ant Man and Star Lord, not these Netflix Nobodies like Daredevil and Punisher. 

Are you saying that Punisher mostly punishes the viewer?  :P

As a movies-only bass, the Wanda Vision is the first one of these side shows that sounds tempting, cuz of already being warmed up to the character(s?).