Dothraki and Unsullied

darmody

Convenient that Danny's scary Eastern hordes are gone, and she gets to be a Hero of Winterfell and raise up Westerosi troops with her nephew-lover, unburdened by all that foreign queen guff. Tyrion didn't want to use them anyway. 

One thing I liked about the episode is that each group went out performing its essential functions: Dothraki charge, Unsullied stand their ground. The exact manner and circumstance of their demise may have been stupid, especially as regards the Dothraki. But still. The show tried for the stuff of legend. 

I don't think it is stupid. Standing ground with the Dothraki would have been as stupid as charging; the power of cavalry comes from the charge, they could have done nothing staying on the horses and waiting.

As for the unsullied, I think they performed perfectly, they bought as much time as possible, and even though we saw some of them run out of fear. They still fought bravely. 

So, did the Dothraki go extinct after this? 

2 hours ago, Targaryen Peas said:

So, did the Dothraki go extinct after this?

A few of them came running back after the charge, but who knows if they ultimately survived the battle.

It certainly solves the question of the Dothraki's place in Westeros if Dany takes the throne. I wondered about that.

25 minutes ago, SansaJonRule said:

It certainly solves the question of the Dothraki's place in Westeros if Dany takes the throne. I wondered about that.

Definitely a hint from producers, or a trap. 

20 minutes ago, darmody said:

The women and children weren't in the battle (though I have no clue where they were), and I doubt Danny took every single Dothraki overseas. 

I guess so, but we didn't see them in the crypts if I remember correctly. 

I think that the point of having a shit ton of boat was to be able to take all of them. They were all ready to follow her that's why I wondered.  

3 minutes ago, Targaryen Peas said:

Definitely a hint from producers, or a trap. 

I guess so, but we didn't see them in the crypts if I remember correctly. 

I think that the point of having a shit ton of boat was to be able to take all of them. They were all ready to follow her that's why I wondered.  

They didn't need women and children in the battle.

It's definitely convenient that now they don't have to think about what to do with them after the war.

But the more interesting thing about it is that now Dany has basically no army. Dothraki are basically all dead (let's say that 50 of them survived). Unsullied are basically all dead but Grey Worm (let's say 50 of the survived). Dorne is dunno where and most likely they don't support her anymore. Yara has like 1000 men at most. All Dany has now is Drogon because Rhaegal (if he is alive) will probably stick to his rider. The North, the wildlings (are there any but Tormund??) and the Night's Watch (is there any?) belong to Jon, and the Vale supports Sansa. 

May all those loyal Dothraki warriors who crossed the great salt water to a foreign land, froze their warm climate arses off at Winterfell before they rode into their untimely death Rest In Peace. 

And no, they are not extinct, I’m certain there are plenty more Dothraki left back in Essos.  

3 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

May all those loyal Dothraki warriors who crossed the great salt water to a foreign land, froze their warm climate arses off at Winterfell before they rode into their untimely death Rest In Peace. 

And no, they are not extinct, I’m certain there are plenty more Dothraki left back in Essos.  

Right, we spend a season with Daenarys going back and forth to get the Dothraki by her side so they could charge against the great unknown and get demolished without even a scene of actual battle. 

Great narration and pay off. 

Just now, Nightwish said:

Right, we spend a season with Daenarys going back and forth to get the Dothraki by her side so they could charge against the great unknown and get demolished without even a scene of actual battle. 

They were finished in 30 seconds. All 100 thousand of them. And they weren’t even really reanimated. I was at least expecting their zombie versions to charge back at Winterfell, so there would be SOME point to their deaths. But no... we just wiped out two seasons of plot in 30 seconds. But who cares, the charge looked cool. 

1 minute ago, RhaenysBee said:

They were finished in 30 seconds. All 100 thousand of them. And they weren’t even really reanimated. I was at least expecting their zombie versions to charge back at Winterfell, so there would be SOME point to their deaths. But no... we just wiped out two seasons of plot in 30 seconds. But who cares, the charge looked cool. 

Yes this scenario really pays off our patience and us being watchful viewers. What was Dothrakis contribution to the great battle? Well we’ll never know cause it never shown. 

6 minutes ago, Nightwish said:

Yes this scenario really pays off our patience and us being watchful viewers. What was Dothrakis contribution to the great battle? Well we’ll never know cause it never shown. 

There are half a hundred ways in which they could have served a better purpose, and I’m not hbo I don’t have a team who I can delegate the mundane 3-hour task of googling battles. I just have ideas. 

Just don’t send them charging into their deaths and waste 100 thousand people while risking adding 100 thousand to the army of the dead. Like these guys can shoot bows. Give them bows and have them shoot at the dead from a distance. Give them long oiled ropes or chains between two riders to set ablaze and charge with. Have them lure the dead into a pit/wood/basin/hill they would then set on fire. did they even have so much as a 30 minute brainstorming on this? 

Honestly Danny is a horrible ruler for allowing all fighting men of HER Dothraki to essentially commit mass suicide by riding into the darkness......

They are also expert marksman with a bow your telling me they couldnt split 70% on horseback while 30% man the walls? Its BS and it shows D and D care very lil about foreigners. 

1 hour ago, Nightwish said:

What was the point of Dothraki charging against the dark unknown in the first place? 

20 minutes ago, Stormking902 said:

Honestly Danny is a horrible ruler for allowing all fighting men of HER Dothraki to essentially commit mass suicide by riding into the darkness......

The dothraki breaking the line and charging into the blackness was not a part of the original battleplan. 
It was however, fully in line with the impetuousness and recklessness of the dothraki, and showcased a major difference between them and the unyielding, utterly steadfast Unsullied. 

Daenerys is visibly shaken and breaks the plan as well by flying away, after she see's her people butchered in front of her.

1 hour ago, Nightwish said:

Great narration and pay off. 

Actually we saw them fighting in Season 7 ep.4

2 minutes ago, loverofcats said:

Actually we saw them fighting in Season 7 ep.4

I am talking about the last episode and their contribution to the great battle which we don’t know because we didn’t see, we can only assume they did some damage or perhaps they were overrun by the zombies and made no difference at all. 

It feels very short and omg this is a battle Dothraki are supposed to be fighters and fierce. Didn’t they deserve a scene there?

Archived