Flashback R+L=J

Nami

41 minutes ago, longest night said:

....With it came the first Long Night, and afterward long winters. They screwed up the ecology and destroyed themselves in their attempt to stop humans. ...

I've never seen it said or written anywhere that there were no Winters before the Long Night.
The Long Night was a period of darkness, (and presumably resulting intense cold due to lack of sun) but it wasn't the start of Westerosi seasons as we know it... afaik it happened in the middle of a Winter... so Winter was already there before the Long Night started.

Intrigued by what you recall GRRM saying...I found a page with a collection of quotes from him referring to the wonky seasons, and yes, he says the seasons are 'fantasy based' but he never once refers to any dead walkers or night king or others.
In fact, he has said there will be an explanation in the last volume about it, but he's very tight lipped about what it will be, as "that would be telling!"....

https://nobodysuspectsthebutterfly.tumblr.com/post/108822950118/things-grrm-has-said-about-the-seasons-of-the

(And stands to reason... why would he give away the end of the book re Others/Seasons... would kinda ruin it?)

25 minutes ago, Figdoni said:

I've never seen it said or written anywhere that there were no Winters before the Long Night.
The Long Night was a period of darkness, (and presumably resulting intense cold due to lack of sun) but it wasn't the start of Westerosi seasons as we know it... afaik it happened in the middle of a Winter... so Winter was already there before the Long Night started.

Intrigued by what you recall GRRM saying...I found a page with a collection of quotes from him referring to the wonky seasons, and yes, he says the seasons are 'fantasy based' but he never once refers to any dead walkers or night king or others.
In fact, he has said there will be an explanation in the last volume about it, but he's very tight lipped about what it will be, as "that would be telling!"....

https://nobodysuspectsthebutterfly.tumblr.com/post/108822950118/things-grrm-has-said-about-the-seasons-of-the

(And stands to reason... why would he give away the end of the book re Others/Seasons... would kinda ruin it?)

It's hard to dig through decades of interviews and it's even harder now with AGOT everywhere. Edit: I remember it putting an end to the debate. It's not worth bothering go after it either since it's already heavily implied in the TWOIAF.

Here's the World of Ice and Fire book from under the Long Night section.

Though the Citadel has long sought to learn the manner by which it may predict the length and change of seasons, all efforts have been confounded. Septon Barth appeared to argue,in a fragmentary treatise, that the inconstancy of the seasons was a matter of magical art rather than trustworthy knowledge. Maester Nicol’s The Measure of the Days—otherwise a laudable work containing much of use—seems influenced by this argument. Based upon his work on the movement of stars in the firmament, Nicol argues unconvincingly that the seasons might once have been of a regular length, determined solely by the way in which the globe faces the sun in its heavenly course. The notion behind it seems true enough—that the lengthening and shortening of days, if more regular, would have led to more regular seasons—but he could find no evidence that such was ever the case, beyond the most ancient of tales.

On 4/29/2019 at 11:05 PM, Nami said:

Will they explore more R+L=J maybe with a flashback or is the issue already settled? It will be awful if Jon just come to terms with this so easily

Only two episodes to go, but whats been niggling me is that Wilf Scolding (Rhaegar) was staying in Belfast last year at the time of filming. He left some intreging tweets on twitter at the time, and a photograph which was later removed.

I always liked the theory that Jakn H'gar (faceless man) could be Rhaegar, with the white streak through his hair and his desire to help Arya (whos the Stark most like Lyanna). But i cant really see this happening anymore either. 

Why Wilf Scolding was in Ireland at the time of shooting would be interesting to find out tho, or was it just another red herring given to us by D&D. 

On 4/29/2019 at 6:05 PM, Nami said:

Will they explore more R+L=J maybe with a flashback or is the issue already settled? It will be awful if Jon just come to terms with this so easily

R+L=J is settled, so no more flashbacks. Its not just awful how fast Jon came to terms with it but how EVERYONE else did too. 

On 5/1/2019 at 8:04 PM, Figdoni said:

But defeating the dead was never meant to be the main object of the story... Clue is in the title... Game of THRONES.

The NK, the whitewalkers, the wights... in context... made up only a tiny tiny part of the entire 8 seasons.
Yes, they were teased and dangled from the beginning like they were the 'end of humanity' amassing at the corner of the Westeros map, but the vast vast majority of the plots, story arcs, lives and deaths that have entertained us for the past decade took place with zero dead wight influence within those story plots..
All those dead Starks... the Jaimie arc with Brienne... Sansa's growth... the wiping out of the Martells and Tyrells... Baratheons...  Joffrey... not a single wight in sight! 
Were y'all not entertained by all that? Or did you think all of that was just killing time, waiting for some wights to show up and the 'real story' begins?

The name of the first book, (which makes up only the first season) and the show, is Game of Thrones.

The name of the story is A Song of Ice & Fire.

I, for one believe this refers to Jon, since he’s the only character who embodies both Ice (Stark), and Fire (Targaryen), and Dany sees her own brother Rhaegar state, “he is the Prince that was Promised, and his is the Song of Ice and Fire,” in the book version of The House of the Undying.

in both books and show, we’re shown from the beginning both the Walkers and Wights are real, before anything else in the story happens. 

To ignore that part of the story is to ignore Jon Snow’s story, who is literally the titular character, and everything that happens north of the Wall, including the wildlings, Bran’s entire story, the fact that without Jamie shoving him out if the window, there’s no Three Eyed Raven, the Night’s Watch, the Wall itself, and why it exists. It’s half the plot line, not some, “tiny tiny” part of the story.

Archived