This Episode Made Little Sense

The moment I saw the huge army assembled at Winterfell I knew there was going to be trouble with the dead coming back to life later. How can you face an army whose entire purpose is to kill and resurrect you, and just treat them as if they were a normal human army? I mean as you're killing the wights, some of your soldiers are dying and creating more wights, the Army of the Dead calls for a completely different type of warfare. Of course, that wouldn't be as entertaining as a the big, bloody battle we got in this episode.

What was the Dothraki charge about? It seems 90% of the Dothraki died for no good reason. The AotD was still very far away at that point, they could have kept firing at it with the catapults instead of charging it.

Why didn't the dragons get involved earlier and burn as much of the AotD as possible before it reached Winterfell? They seem to only have begun doing that once the two armies were engaged. Not only was it a lost opportunity but from what I could see they were at risk of burning some of the living at that stage.

Why was it so easy to kill wights in this episode? I was surprised to see that regular arrows could be effective at all against them. Some of the wights are nothing more than skeletons, why does it hurt them to get shot by an arrow? The giant wight getting killed just through a stab in the eye also didn't seem believable. Even a living giant would probably not have died that way because the length of a giant's eye socket would mean that the weapon wouldn't penetrate into its brain.

The scene where Arya is playing hide-and-seek with the wights is incredibly confusing. Just two minutes before she was killing them as if they were made of paper and now she's avoiding them as if they posed a great danger? How and why did she end up in that library anyway, when we had just seen her on the ramparts?

Also I found the sad, slow music with the slow motion fighting very unsuitable. It would have fit well in a show or movie with a tragic ending. But we knew the good guys had a plan here and that it was unlikely for the world of Westeros to end, especially since it was only episode 3, so the emotion behind the music conflicted with what we knew and broke immersion.

And last but not least, the Arya Ex Machina ending seemed like incredibly lazy writing. I can only hope that it was the plan all along for Arya to kill the Night King, and that there is a good explanation for her being able to slip in through all the other White Walkers unnoticed but I don't know.

It was all just so anti-climactic. The White Walkers have been the terrifying, mysterious, unknowable force present in the show from the first scene of season 1, episode 1. And this is it? They're all dead? They don't seem to have made much impact on the world of Westeros at all. Sure a few northern strongholds are destroyed and bunch of people are dead, but in the grand scheme of things that's nothing. Once Cersei finds out she's probably going to laugh remembering how Jon had tried to convince her of the danger, and she's going to be very happy she didn't believe him.

Archived