The books are not going to end like this

neutralbhad

5 hours ago, LadyOlenna said:

Oh, I had seen that!

No worries!

By the way, sorry if I go OT, I'm pretty sure I saw emoticons in someone's posts. How do you do that?

In the shaded bar at the top of the comment box is a smiley face.  Click on that and it gives you a range of emoticons. :)

11 hours ago, lomiller said:

James Hansen's watershed testimony to congress in 1988 took awareness of climate change out of academic circles and into the public sphere, so climate change was definitely a thing by 1993.  

Not on the scale it is now and that's even with Al Gore and Earth in the Balance, which was published in 1992. It wasn't until after 1998 that it really got going. Hell, I'm old enough to remember when global cooling was a thing. (And yes it was. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar.) 

Wanna talk about how Hansen turned off the air conditioner? 

So, if climate change was one of Martin's themes in ASOIAF, why was the prospect of a generation long winter so frightening? It should have been a long summer that scared the bejeezus out of people like it does now. 

Whilst GRRM might have set out in Game of Thrones to portray The Others as vaguely allegorically a reference to Nuclear Winter, it's entirely possible that in more recent years, particularly in the last eight he might have shifted the focus to Climate Change. Hell, that could even be part of the reason he's taking so damn long to write the book!

11 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

They've laid the foundations for Arya killing the NK for quite some time now, and Melisandre basically spoiled it in the middle of the episode.
After that scene I instantly went "Wow, so Arya's killing the NK this episode? Cool."

Arya killing the NK was unexpected and not something I would've guessed a year or two ago. But it didn't come entirely out of the blue.
You know what would've come out of the blue? Hotpie killing the NK.

There's been speculation for years now that Arya would kill the NK.  I remember all the theories last season when Bran gave Arya the dagger that she would use it to kill the NK.  When you add her sparring with Brienne where she used the exact same move with the dagger to stalemate Brienne that she would eventually use to kill the NK, and her sneaking up on Jon in the Godswood in the season premiere, you can see they've been building up to it for a couple years now at the least.  

11 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

They've laid the foundations for Arya killing the NK for quite some time now, and Melisandre basically spoiled it in the middle of the episode.
After that scene I instantly went "Wow, so Arya's killing the NK this episode? Cool."

Arya killing the NK was unexpected and not something I would've guessed a year or two ago. But it didn't come entirely out of the blue.
You know what would've come out of the blue? Hotpie killing the NK.

The only foundation for that has been laid since season 7. They admitted in the inside the episode they came up with it three years ago because it would be unexpected.

12 minutes ago, longest night said:

The only foundation for that has been laid since season 7. They admitted in the inside the episode they came up with it three years ago because it would be unexpected.

That is enough time, and hence something that doesn't come out of the blue.

People are free to dislike the fact that Arya killed the NK, but I really couldn't care either way.

40 minutes ago, Tagganaro said:

There's been speculation for years now that Arya would kill the NK.  I remember all the theories last season when Bran gave Arya the dagger that she would use it to kill the NK.  When you add her sparring with Brienne where she used the exact same move with the dagger to stalemate Brienne that she would eventually use to kill the NK, and her sneaking up on Jon in the Godswood in the season premiere, you can see they've been building up to it for a couple years now at the least.  

Sorry, I can't see that as any reasonable build up.  Her using the same move on someone else isn't build up in the story that she, the non magical assassin, will kill the NK.  And 'build up' in the same episode doesn't count.  The NK has been built up as a magical entity, around which a whole set of prophecies and legends exist, which for years of the show have pointed to Jon and/or Dany,  ALL of that, was undercut when the show had Arya kill him, and not even with an assist from Jon or Dany.  I truly can't understand how anyone isn't irate at all the previous story that this one 'oh shocking' move had destroyed.  But, whatever, it's all over 3 weeks and thank god for that.

What we saw on the screen can't happen in the books (if they are ever finished) for the simple reason that the Wights are very different in the books (ie slow moving, clumsy, highly flammable).  For a start, the Dothraki's flaming arakhs and burning projectiles being catapulted at the dead, would have lit them up like a refinery.

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Sorry, I can't see that as any reasonable build up.  Her using the same move on someone else isn't build up in the story that she, the non magical assassin, will kill the NK.  And 'build up' in the same episode doesn't count.  The NK has been built up as a magical entity, around which a whole set of prophecies and legends exist, which for years of the show have pointed to Jon and/or Dany,  ALL of that, was undercut when the show had Arya kill him, and not even with an assist from Jon or Dany.  I truly can't understand how anyone isn't irate at all the previous story that this one 'oh shocking' move had destroyed.  But, whatever, it's all over 3 weeks and thank god for that.

Because 

a) Most of us don't care that she did it. She and Brienne are the best fighters in Westeros in the show (which is what we are discussing here), way better then Jon, let alone Daenerys. If it was going to be a one on one against the NK, Arya had the best arguements.

b) We didn't believe the prophecies in the show and didn't took them literally. They all came from Melisandre, who was continuesly wrong in the show.

c) It is just a TV show after all. Our joy and happiness isn't touched by a TV Show.

3 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

The faceless men are not non-magical.  None of this "buildup" happened in the same episode so I'm not sure I understand that point.  It's fine if you refuse to see it that way, but the point still stands that you can go back and find articles theorizing that Arya would kill the NK immediately upon her receiving the catspaw dagger from Bran- to me that was rather obvious build up but again to each his own.  I personally think the show made a very good decision to have Arya be the one to kill the NK, as the Jon/Dany stuff was too predictable.  I'm sure if they killed the NK people would be on here complaining about how predictable and cliche it was :P.

For me, I truly can't understand why someone would continue to watch a show that makes them "irate" and beg for it to be over in 3 weeks.  But again to each their own :cheers:.

2 minutes ago, Tagganaro said:

The faceless men are not non-magical.  None of this "buildup" happened in the same episode so I'm not sure I understand that point.  It's fine if you refuse to see it that way, but the point still stands that you can go back and find articles theorizing that Arya would kill the NK immediately upon her receiving the catspaw dagger from Bran- to me that was rather obvious build up but again to each his own.  I personally think the show made a very good decision to have Arya be the one to kill the NK, as the Jon/Dany stuff was too predictable.  I'm sure if they killed the NK people would be on here complaining about how predictable and cliche it was :P.

For me, I truly can't understand why someone would continue to watch a show that makes them "irate" and beg for it to be over in 3 weeks.  But again to each their own :cheers:.

Really?  You can't understand why anyone who has already watched the show for 7 years and read the books, might, want some kind of an end even if its the bastardized dumbed down ending the show is giving us?  I've hung in there for all the seasons, all the bad seasons since 4, but I should quit now with less than a month of episodes left?   LMAO.

People theorize all kinds of nonsense, that doesn't mean it's a good idea for the show to do something just because some random internet theories about it exist.  But whatever, I'm glad people can still enjoy the show even if I can't understand it.

the books are not going to end like the show, no, but even the show could have been saved. this episode should have been GOT's Infinity War. Thanos should have won.

Have the episode unfold in a similar fashion, just with a lot more consequences, basically kill almost everyone save a few chosen characters. Raise the dead in the crypts and kill everyone. Have Sansa and Tyrion mercy kill each other, like I thought it was going to happen in the actual episode. Varys is useless anyway. Dead Gilly and her son would have broken our hearts. A complete tragedy. Kill everyone on the surface. Brienne, Sam, Podrick, all die fighting. Jaime survives. Night King and Viserion meanwhile actually kill one dragon and severely wound the second (Drogon). Stuff happens with Arya and the Hound and Mel, Jon witnesses dead Sam, dead Tormund on his way to the Godswood. Dany is trying to survive with Jorah like she did. Tension rises, Jon can't get past the dragon guarding the entrance. Night King is closing on Bran. Theon dies.  Mellisandre shows up and somehow kills the undead dragon but she also dies doing it. Jon runs into the Godswood. Engages in a fight with multiple White Walkers, Kills the first, the second, the third, all the while the Night King is closing in on Bran in slow mo like he did in the actual episode. The fourth WW that is fighting Jon notices a shadow running. Arya throws herself at the NK and ... fails. He just doesn't die when she stabs him.  He throws her aside, she starts to choke from the cold entering her lungs or something. Night King turns his focus to Bran, but then Jon engages him. clank, clank, NK is actually a better swordsman than Jon. Gold Olympic medalist in javelin throwing can wield the sword like a true boss. Jon goes down on his knee. Clang, clang, Longclaw gets beaten out of his hand. Night King screams something that sounds like "Targaryen" into his face and moves to deal the final blow.  game over for Jon. Nope. Another sword stops NK's final blow. It is Jaime. Beside him are Gendry wielding an obsidian mace, and the Hound wielding Brienne's sword. At the enterence to the godswood is Dany on Drogon who recovered somewhat, she is yelling for Jon and the others to come to her. Drogon is burning whights left and right. The boys engage the NK, but he pushes them back, some WW's show up out of nowhere with wights. All are busy dealing with them. NK turns towards Bran again. The Hound helps Arya up. We see Bran's eyes roll white, something changes in the Hound's facial expression.  The NK stabs Bran. Jon is yelling no. Everything is again in slow mo. Jaime is pulling Jon towards Dany and Drogon. Somber music plays. They all manage to hop on, and the poor dragon somehow flies off.  Night King is studying Bran's dead body, then looks at the dragon flying off. End of episode. Cut to black.

Start the next one with them landing at the spot that Jon showed Dany. there is a cave there behind the waterfall. They take shelter. Drogon is badly, badly injured and dies in the cold. Ghost shows up and from now on is always beside Jon and Dany. The Hound speaks and it is Bran. All are shocked somewhat, but believe him after a while. A lot of flashbacks and a lot of exposition happens. Bran shares what he knows and explains that he is now stuck in Clegane and has no more powers, but the NK can no longer track him. He sets the team on a mission to get to the Isle of faces  in the God's eye where some serious magical crap happened 10000 years ago. Everyone is desperate, traumatized, and hopeless. but they have to try. Dany and Jon talk. she apologizes how stupid she was desiring the iron Throne when the world is literally ending. Arya and Gendry moments. Jaime mourns Brienne. We see  Cersei finding out the dead are marching south. She is actually pregnant and scared as hell now. Her dumb evil plan failed. She is gonna have to deal with the NK. Asha takes back the Iron Islands, and we are shown how the news of the NK and the AOTD is spreading through all of Westeros. We are shown a bunch of new faces that have taken command of the rest of the seven kingdoms. Some new tyrells, etc. smallfolk are terrified , priests are praying with people. Riots start in KL. Harry Strickland is talking to Euron, that something has to be done ) about the bitch queen). Close up of Cersei's face. End episode.

*snaps out* oh man it is late in this part of the world. Have to go to sleep now. Tell you what, if I get 5 hearts or more, I'll finish writing my version of the ending tomorrow evening in another post. ;)

5 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Really?  You can't understand why anyone who has already watched the show for 7 years and read the books, might, want some kind of an end even if its the bastardized dumbed down ending the show is giving us?  I've hung in there for all the seasons, all the bad seasons since 4, but I should quit now with less than a month of episodes left?   LMAO.

People theorize all kinds of nonsense, that doesn't mean it's a good idea for the show to do something just because some random internet theories about it exist.  But whatever, I'm glad people can still enjoy the show even if I can't understand it.

So you've "hung in" hating this show for more seasons than you liked it?  That's interesting to me but again to each their own.  Again, if the show gets you this angry/outraged I can only suggest to stop watching it...that's not worth it for "tits and dragons" to quote the great Ian Mcshane and that's not worth it for any type of entertainment in my opinion.  

To call the theory that Arya would kill the NK "nonsense" I just don't understand... again it seemed pretty obvious to me once Bran handed her the dagger and said she would put it to better use, including him doing like a jump-take once he handed it to her probably realizing what she would use it for if you watch it again.  And that's indeed what the showrunners planned years ago so again...don't understand how you can call that theory nonsense since it's true.  

4 minutes ago, Tagganaro said:

So you've "hung in" hating this show for more seasons than you liked it?  That's interesting to me but again to each their own.  Again, if the show gets you this angry/outraged I can only suggest to stop watching it...that's not worth it for "tits and dragons" to quote the great Ian Mcshane and that's not worth it for any type of entertainment in my opinion.  

To call the theory that Arya would kill the NK "nonsense" I just don't understand... again it seemed pretty obvious to me once Bran handed her the dagger and said she would put it to better use, including him doing like a jump-take once he handed it to her probably realizing what she would use it for if you watch it again.  And that's indeed what the showrunners planned years ago so again...don't understand how you can call that theory nonsense since it's true.  

There is a lot of nonsense in the show that doesn't make sense and doesn't stand up to 5 minutes of analysis.  Like I said, if you don't see that Arya killing the NK with no assist from either Jon or Dany doesn't destroy several seasons worth of story, so be it.  

Oh yeah the show is alot different then the book. I hope GRRM will finish the books up now though I don't think he was holding off writing the books because of the show like some people thought. 

Lot's of characters in the books either died or were completly changed from the books. I think you could see that in almost every character after a point. That said they were always gonna be different. I love the show and the books but I knew they would be different. There was just too much going on in the books too put in the TV show. 

Archived