The books are not going to end like this

neutralbhad

33 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

There is a lot of nonsense in the show that doesn't make sense and doesn't stand up to 5 minutes of analysis.  Like I said, if you don't see that Arya killing the NK with no assist from either Jon or Dany doesn't destroy several seasons worth of story, so be it.  

That all depends on whether you think one of the main themes of the story is ancient prophecies being fulfilled, or whether it is characters believing that ancient prophecies would be fulfilled, and acting accordingly (not always to good effect).   In the former case, Arya killing the NK makes no sense, but in the later it makes perfect sense. 

In the books, of course, it may well be a moot point since - so far - there is no character equivalent to the NK for anyone to kill ....

47 minutes ago, Han Snow said:

the books are not going to end like the show, no, but even the show could have been saved. this episode should have been GOT's Infinity War. Thanos should have won.

Have the episode unfold in a similar fashion, just with a lot more consequences, basically kill almost everyone save a few chosen characters. Raise the dead in the crypts and kill everyone. Have Sansa and Tyrion mercy kill each other, like I thought it was going to happen in the actual episode. Varys is useless anyway. Dead Gilly and her son would have broken our hearts. A complete tragedy. Kill everyone on the surface. Brienne, Sam, Podrick, all die fighting. Jaime survives. Night King and Viserion meanwhile actually kill one dragon and severely wound the second (Drogon). Stuff happens with Arya and the Hound and Mel, Jon witnesses dead Sam, dead Tormund on his way to the Godswood. Dany is trying to survive with Jorah like she did. Tension rises, Jon can't get past the dragon guarding the entrance. Night King is closing on Bran. Theon dies.  Mellisandre shows up and somehow kills the undead dragon but she also dies doing it. Jon runs into the Godswood. Engages in a fight with multiple White Walkers, Kills the first, the second, the third, all the while the Night King is closing in on Bran in slow mo like he did in the actual episode. The fourth WW that is fighting Jon notices a shadow running. Arya throws herself at the NK and ... fails. He just doesn't die when she stabs him.  He throws her aside, she starts to choke from the cold entering her lungs or something. Night King turns his focus to Bran, but then Jon engages him. clank, clank, NK is actually a better swordsman than Jon. Gold Olympic medalist in javelin throwing can wield the sword like a true boss. Jon goes down on his knee. Clang, clang, Longclaw gets beaten out of his hand. Night King screams something that sounds like "Targaryen" into his face and moves to deal the final blow.  game over for Jon. Nope. Another sword stops NK's final blow. It is Jaime. Beside him are Gendry wielding an obsidian mace, and the Hound wielding Brienne's sword. At the enterence to the godswood is Dany on Drogon who recovered somewhat, she is yelling for Jon and the others to come to her. Drogon is burning whights left and right. The boys engage the NK, but he pushes them back, some WW's show up out of nowhere with wights. All are busy dealing with them. NK turns towards Bran again. The Hound helps Arya up. We see Bran's eyes roll white, something changes in the Hound's facial expression.  The NK stabs Bran. Jon is yelling no. Everything is again in slow mo. Jaime is pulling Jon towards Dany and Drogon. Somber music plays. They all manage to hop on, and the poor dragon somehow flies off.  Night King is studying Bran's dead body, then looks at the dragon flying off. End of episode. Cut to black.

Start the next one with them landing at the spot that Jon showed Dany. there is a cave there behind the waterfall. They take shelter. Drogon is badly, badly injured and dies in the cold. Ghost shows up and from now on is always beside Jon and Dany. The Hound speaks and it is Bran. All are shocked somewhat, but believe him after a while. A lot of flashbacks and a lot of exposition happens. Bran shares what he knows and explains that he is now stuck in Clegane and has no more powers, but the NK can no longer track him. He sets the team on a mission to get to the Isle of faces  in the God's eye where some serious magical crap happened 10000 years ago. Everyone is desperate, traumatized, and hopeless. but they have to try. Dany and Jon talk. she apologizes how stupid she was desiring the iron Throne when the world is literally ending. Arya and Gendry moments. Jaime mourns Brienne. We see  Cersei finding out the dead are marching south. She is actually pregnant and scared as hell now. Her dumb evil plan failed. She is gonna have to deal with the NK. Asha takes back the Iron Islands, and we are shown how the news of the NK and the AOTD is spreading through all of Westeros. We are shown a bunch of new faces that have taken command of the rest of the seven kingdoms. Some new tyrells, etc. smallfolk are terrified , priests are praying with people. Riots start in KL. Harry Strickland is talking to Euron, that something has to be done ) about the bitch queen). Close up of Cersei's face. End episode.

*snaps out* oh man it is late in this part of the world. Have to go to sleep now. Tell you what, if I get 5 hearts or more, I'll finish writing my version of the ending tomorrow evening in another post. ;)

Holly crap!! Why, oh why didn't they hire you to finish this story instead of those two? I wish I could unwatch the last episode so I can keep only this in my memory; it's so much better

1 hour ago, Han Snow said:

the books are not going to end like the show, no, but even the show could have been saved. this episode should have been GOT's Infinity War. Thanos should have won.

Have the episode unfold in a similar fashion, just with a lot more consequences, basically kill almost everyone save a few chosen characters. Raise the dead in the crypts and kill everyone. Have Sansa and Tyrion mercy kill each other, like I thought it was going to happen in the actual episode. Varys is useless anyway. Dead Gilly and her son would have broken our hearts. A complete tragedy. Kill everyone on the surface. Brienne, Sam, Podrick, all die fighting. Jaime survives. Night King and Viserion meanwhile actually kill one dragon and severely wound the second (Drogon). Stuff happens with Arya and the Hound and Mel, Jon witnesses dead Sam, dead Tormund on his way to the Godswood. Dany is trying to survive with Jorah like she did. Tension rises, Jon can't get past the dragon guarding the entrance. Night King is closing on Bran. Theon dies.  Mellisandre shows up and somehow kills the undead dragon but she also dies doing it. Jon runs into the Godswood. Engages in a fight with multiple White Walkers, Kills the first, the second, the third, all the while the Night King is closing in on Bran in slow mo like he did in the actual episode. The fourth WW that is fighting Jon notices a shadow running. Arya throws herself at the NK and ... fails. He just doesn't die when she stabs him.  He throws her aside, she starts to choke from the cold entering her lungs or something. Night King turns his focus to Bran, but then Jon engages him. clank, clank, NK is actually a better swordsman than Jon. Gold Olympic medalist in javelin throwing can wield the sword like a true boss. Jon goes down on his knee. Clang, clang, Longclaw gets beaten out of his hand. Night King screams something that sounds like "Targaryen" into his face and moves to deal the final blow.  game over for Jon. Nope. Another sword stops NK's final blow. It is Jaime. Beside him are Gendry wielding an obsidian mace, and the Hound wielding Brienne's sword. At the enterence to the godswood is Dany on Drogon who recovered somewhat, she is yelling for Jon and the others to come to her. Drogon is burning whights left and right. The boys engage the NK, but he pushes them back, some WW's show up out of nowhere with wights. All are busy dealing with them. NK turns towards Bran again. The Hound helps Arya up. We see Bran's eyes roll white, something changes in the Hound's facial expression.  The NK stabs Bran. Jon is yelling no. Everything is again in slow mo. Jaime is pulling Jon towards Dany and Drogon. Somber music plays. They all manage to hop on, and the poor dragon somehow flies off.  Night King is studying Bran's dead body, then looks at the dragon flying off. End of episode. Cut to black.

Start the next one with them landing at the spot that Jon showed Dany. there is a cave there behind the waterfall. They take shelter. Drogon is badly, badly injured and dies in the cold. Ghost shows up and from now on is always beside Jon and Dany. The Hound speaks and it is Bran. All are shocked somewhat, but believe him after a while. A lot of flashbacks and a lot of exposition happens. Bran shares what he knows and explains that he is now stuck in Clegane and has no more powers, but the NK can no longer track him. He sets the team on a mission to get to the Isle of faces  in the God's eye where some serious magical crap happened 10000 years ago. Everyone is desperate, traumatized, and hopeless. but they have to try. Dany and Jon talk. she apologizes how stupid she was desiring the iron Throne when the world is literally ending. Arya and Gendry moments. Jaime mourns Brienne. We see  Cersei finding out the dead are marching south. She is actually pregnant and scared as hell now. Her dumb evil plan failed. She is gonna have to deal with the NK. Asha takes back the Iron Islands, and we are shown how the news of the NK and the AOTD is spreading through all of Westeros. We are shown a bunch of new faces that have taken command of the rest of the seven kingdoms. Some new tyrells, etc. smallfolk are terrified , priests are praying with people. Riots start in KL. Harry Strickland is talking to Euron, that something has to be done ) about the bitch queen). Close up of Cersei's face. End episode.

*snaps out* oh man it is late in this part of the world. Have to go to sleep now. Tell you what, if I get 5 hearts or more, I'll finish writing my version of the ending tomorrow evening in another post. ;)

This. 

The episode should be Infinity war, Empire strikes back... that mood.

We would be all wondering: "what if the bittersweet ending is the NK sitting the iron throne?

We could see some regretted Cersei while she watches the NK marching south with numbers growing....

The build up led to it. THE LONG NIGHT, 7 seasons, mystical dude....

On 4/30/2019 at 7:57 AM, Greenmonsterff said:

I don’t think this story has anything to do with climate change. That’s just some idiot’s interpretation somehow trying to make the story something it is not. 

I was torn between LMAO and staring at that post in disbelief. Some people are so obsessed with climate change they can't possibly fathom everyone else not being obsessed with it as well.

14 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

To be fair, disappointing as it is, we have been told by GRRM that the main plots of the books were told to D&D. Only the plotlines of minor characters will be substantially different. Damn.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/04/15/george-r-r-martin-on-game-of-thrones-bookshow-ending-differences

But the show diverged from the books so much, the way everyone gets to the end will be very different, and then there's the Aegon/Young Griff plot that is totally left out of the show. So IF he finishes the books,it still is something to look forward to.

Another member posted on this forum that he read somewhere that HBO paid Martin not to finish the books until the show was over. Don't know what his source was, but I can see that happening.

7 minutes ago, SansaJonRule said:

I was torn between LMAO and staring at that post in disbelief. Some people are so obsessed with climate change they can't possibly fathom everyone else not being obsessed with it as well.

"Everyone" is obsessed with their own games of thrones. That's the point.

GRRM's interview implies that secondary characters would get their proper treatment in the books, but as they are cut out/reduced in the show, we know when we get our hands on the books that they won't be vital in the end, which spoils the anticipation considerably. Hence, we already know Young Griff will turn out to be fAegon.

The conspiracy theory I don't buy, but it would be more credible to guess that he's finished TWOW but agreed not to publish it until the show's done. I wouldn't be surprised to see TWOW come out in October/beginning of winter and ADOS out in February/beginning of spring.

On 4/30/2019 at 8:41 AM, Greenmonsterff said:

Not exactly. He said there are parallels, but he wasn’t thinking about climate change when he wrote the story.

https://thinkprogress.org/george-r-r-martin-confirms-that-yes-game-of-thrones-is-a-climate-change-parable-8ca53041c8d3/

Think progress is the Breitbart of the left.  I am a professor of Poli Sci who is not a Republican by the way.  Not that there are many Republican poli sci profs I know. The only colleague I know personally is probably going to be losing his tenure soon due to his beliefs. 

14 hours ago, Ice Queen said:

Not on the scale it is now and that's even with Al Gore and Earth in the Balance, which was published in 1992. It wasn't until after 1998 that it really got going. Hell, I'm old enough to remember when global cooling was a thing. (And yes it was. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar.) 

Wanna talk about how Hansen turned off the air conditioner? 

So, if climate change was one of Martin's themes in ASOIAF, why was the prospect of a generation long winter so frightening? It should have been a long summer that scared the bejeezus out of people like it does now. 

14 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

Whilst GRRM might have set out in Game of Thrones to portray The Others as vaguely allegorically a reference to Nuclear Winter, it's entirely possible that in more recent years, particularly in the last eight he might have shifted the focus to Climate Change. Hell, that could even be part of the reason he's taking so damn long to write the book!

Both of you are right. Which doesn't bode well for GRRM's consistency. 

3 minutes ago, Fox Mulder said:

Both of you are right. Which doesn't bode well for GRRM's consistency. There is a famous Times cover that talks about the scientific consensus that we are heading for an ice age. from the 70s or 80s. 

I've lost track of the topic of this thread. Is it this

The world is not going to end like this

:wideeyed:

Climate change or nuclear winter or marmot apocalypse as the source of inspiration for the others, I believe the books likely will end like the series does in the overarching storyline. But I also believe a Song of Ice and Fire (assuming George finishes it) vs Game of Thrones will be a good example of why the main overarching story is secondary to good and consistent writing and creative intrigue along the way - it is the journey that matters, not the ending.

1 hour ago, Kaptajn Congoboy said:

Climate change or nuclear winter or marmot apocalypse as the source of inspiration for the others, I believe the books likely will end like the series does in the overarching storyline. But I also believe a Song of Ice and Fire (assuming George finishes it) vs Game of Thrones will be a good example of why the main overarching story is secondary to good and consistent writing and creative intrigue along the way - it is the journey that matters, not the ending.

True, but the experience of the journey is somewhat tainted when you know it's going to end in a car crash.

5 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

To be fair, disappointing as it is, we have been told by GRRM that the main plots of the books were told to D&D. Only the plotlines of minor characters will be substantially different. Damn.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/04/15/george-r-r-martin-on-game-of-thrones-bookshow-ending-differences

The showrunners were told how GRRM plans to end the story. That doesn't mean they won't make up their own ending anyway. GRRM didn't think they would, but I wonder if he'll still say so after E03.

9 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

True, but the experience of the journey is somewhat tainted when you know it's going to end in a car crash.

Could be we get an elegant swerve with some bumper damage instead. I have never believed the ending scene was going to be the Big Fantasy Battle Against The Hordes of The Dark Lord.

I don't think that the showrunners have wildly deviated from the main plot resolution. But it can be handled well in the coming books. For example, one of the central themes of Cersei in the books is that she isn't really clever. She thinks she is, but in general she has, as Varys says, ridden on her looks and family connections. She's also been EXTREMELY lucky (all those golden shrouds excepted) in the show, presented as her own strategy, but mainly her successes have been based on fortitious events and blind luck. Incompetent people can do well, if they are lucky at the right time and chaos serves as their ladder. So if her journey is handled like that in the books it will make more sense. Only at the end will Cersei come face to face with her own incompetence and inability to form close alliances, and if she is true to her character, she will go down blaming everyone else, as many loonie dictators do.

Yeah, all good KC, except that I'm sure in the books the Big Threat Up North will not be presented in such simplistic cartoonish guise. GRRM will draw out the deep interconnection between The Others, The Children of the Forest, the First Men (Starks) and Bran. There is a fascinating storyline in there I'm hungry to have revealed, regardless of D&D thoroughly f***ing it up.

10 minutes ago, Kaptajn Congoboy said:

I am guessing we'll se a LOT more from the Children and Bloodraven in that department before Bran goes south again. Perhaps this will explain why the Others are so obsessed with killing the greenseers, Bran in particular.

Right, but there's so much more. What's the connection between our Bran and Bran the Builder? His 'magic' sealed the Wall from the Others, and it seems only our Bran can facilitate the Others access through/over the Wall. And how about that network of tunnels that seem to be both north and south of the Wall? I suspect the Winterfell crypts are also connected. I think there's a whole population of Children yet to be discovered, and that's in addition to the Crannogmen (Reeds) and what in the God's Eye.

7 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

I don’t understand. It seems that we agree. Why are you LYAO or in disbelief at this post. 

Archived