The books are not going to end like this

neutralbhad

6 minutes ago, Coffeewiththegods said:

"She seemed like the best candidate provided we weren't thinking of her in that moment.” ... "We Hoped to avoid the expected. Jon Snow has always been the hero, the one who's been the savior, but to US it didn't seem right" - D&D

Yes. My point stands. They never said, “We chose.” 

You’re free to infer that, and you may be right. I just know how settling up sequences in film works, and I take it to mean something else. 

"We hoped to avoid" sounds like they choose it.  This means either GRRM hasn't decided how to end the Other treat or the ending is really in the weeds. 

Either way, the show strongly suggests that the Others will be defeated before they get past the North.  That's because none of the major show-character's have arcs that end with the Others. Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Sansa, Bran, Sam, and Arya all surviving the long night doesn't match with the Others breaking through and fucking up Westeros. 

23 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

The conspiracy theory I don't buy, but it would be more credible to guess that he's finished TWOW but agreed not to publish it until the show's done. I wouldn't be surprised to see TWOW come out in October/beginning of winter and ADOS out in February/beginning of spring.

IF it's true that he waiting for the show to end, I would expect an announcement of a release date a couple months after the show ends, while we're still going through GoT withdrawal. ;)

On 4/30/2019 at 4:55 AM, neutralbhad said:

The story has always been about lords being petty and fighting each other, all while a force of extinction that they don't believe in is coming. It's an analogy for climate change. 

Um, what? In the 1960s you'd say it was an analogy for exploding nuclear plants. Or the end of precious metals. In the 1980s it'd be global cooling. But is there anything in these novels that says George R.R. Martin would make a lame point like that? It's in your head. George Martin has way more respect for his story than that. And so should anyone who has read a few novels here and there. Plenty of times when something people didn't expect creeps up on them.

I can also add that Martin originally didn't plan to include anything supernatural AT ALL, but his publisher talked him out of that level of realism. Readers of fantasy want magic, he said. So Martin added magic. Yeah, some symbolism there.

3 hours ago, Jarl Halstein said:

Um, what? In the 1960s you'd say it was an analogy for exploding nuclear plants. Or the end of precious metals. In the 1980s it'd be global cooling. But is there anything in these novels that says George R.R. Martin would make a lame point like that? It's in your head. George Martin has way more respect for his story than that. And so should anyone who has read a few novels here and there. Plenty of times when something people didn't expect creeps up on them.

I can also add that Martin originally didn't plan to include anything supernatural AT ALL, but his publisher talked him out of that level of realism. Readers of fantasy want magic, he said. So Martin added magic. Yeah, some symbolism there.

Climate Change is not supernatural. It's also something that people like you are not seeing creeping up on us. It's also in the author's head, as he admitted in an interview a while back. The Others are not a one-note allegory of Climate Change, but it is a legitimate factor in their interpretation, according to GRRM.

• 2 months later...

I think it is going to be quite the same but it will all be exlained. I have thought of an explanation based on the 1rst book. How did Arya get there? What Bran and Jon were doing? And what about Melisandre?

I don't know if it a spoiler but just in case..

Spoiler

"The best way was to start from the godswood, shinny up the tall sentinel, and cross over the armory and the guards hall, leaping roof to roof, barefoot so the guards wouldn't hear you overhead. That brought you up to the blind side of the First Keep, the oldest part of the castle, a squat round fortress that was taller than it looked... the old stones still made for good climbing. You could go straight up to where the gargoyles leaned out blindly over empty space, and swing from gargoyle to gargoyle, hand over hand, around to the north side. From there, if you really stretched, you could reach out and pull yourself over to the broken tower where it leaned close. The last part was the scramble up the blackened stones to the eyrie, no more than ten feet, and then the crows would come round..."

Bran II, aGoT

It is the way that Bran used to climp. This is how he found Jaime and Cersie. So I think that now Arya did the same but the opposite way.
 Bran is actually warging the same crows and watches the whole battle through their eyes. That's why he is trying to buy some time making Theon fight the NK. And also Jon is looking up trying to see where Arya is, and distracts the NK's dragon.
The one who might "communicates" with both Arya and Jon is Melisandre.

Archived