The books are not going to end like this

neutralbhad

A better solution would be to get Jon to the godswood, have him fighting, but he can't get to the NK, and then have either Arya or Bran, preferably Bran, kill him.  At least then Jon, whose entire story for the last 3 seasons has been about fighting this army, would have gotten an assist, instead he was totally, completely useless so is his story.   If he slipped on a banana peel now it won't matter at all.

21 hours ago, Dex drako said:

the PTWP, is clearly linked in the book to the "the last hero" and "Azor Ahai" both contextually and by characters like mel.  both of those stories are of a hero that lead the fight against the WW with a flaming sword. meaning there really isn't any other way to look at the PTWP prophecy then to being the tool to find the next hero to lead the fight against the WW.

there is no other point of its existence.

Well technically there is the prophecy from the books about AA and an entire chapter about Stannis fullfilling that prophecy in a symbolic way. This is even in the show. The point is to crasp Lightbringer, the red sword of heroes. That is the job of Azor Ahai. FULLSTOP. 

Now we can discuss if he will reenact killing some Other or if waking dragons out of stone is also part of the prophecy or of the stone dragon waking has already happened or will happen in the future.

But the point of all of it is crasping the sword. There was an episode and a chapter about it. I know, Stannis also stabbed the sword into the seven straw puppets. But from the part Mel is quoting, we can reliably say that crasping the sword is the job of AA.

Now the show may have merged AA and tPtwP. And once again by doing this, the show may have fallen over it's own stupid feet. But killing the NK is not part of the requirements. And can't be, as there is no NK in the books.

5 minutes ago, SirArthur said:

But killing the NK is not part of the requirements. 

first off there is no NK in the book but even if there was killing the NK isn't a requirement its the goal of the prophecy. fulfilling the prophecy is the job application the job is fighting the white walkers 

I think the "Long Night" will be far longer then the show did. Winter will reach Kings Landing, and that may even be thier final stand... Not Winterfell. A dream of spring kinda connotes a long winter of darkness.  

4 hours ago, Tagganaro said:

I agree with this.  I don't think the show is or was very interested in this prophecy even though it was hinted at last year.

Mileage may vary of course, but I really liked the idea of the "blue eyes" Mel referred to being the Others.  

And I completely disagree with your second part.  Again I would guess this was not planned from the start, but "saying no to the God of Death" has a whole lot to do with the present situation so I liked it in that sense.  You don't get more "god of death" than the Night King :P.

Unless every character is immortal, I think death will continue. It's not tied directly to the Night King, who actually can be interpreted to be defying the death god be reanimating thousands of corpses. 

On 4/30/2019 at 9:00 AM, btfu806 said:

This will almost certainly happen in the books, but it won't happen like it did in the show. Would make no sense for Stannis to give the command...

Yep. Too much foreshadowing by Patchface or by herself when she dreamt she was eaten alive by a stone dragon. Either she will cause a greyscale endemic or be sacrificed by fire (or both hence 'stone dragon'). The fact that Stannis does the deed remains to be seen considering the last time we saw him he said his soldiers should protect her cause she's his only heir...

On 4/30/2019 at 2:49 PM, LHakaLH said:

But doesn't Euron want Daenerys?? 

Yes. But he might not side with her because there are other Greyjoys antagonizing him who might get to her before him. In the show it was Yara and Theon and in the books we still have Victarion with Moqorro and Asha and Theon.

I have no problem of Arya killing the NK. But the way they did it, was purely for shock values and an M.Night Shayamalan twist. It was garbage. Well, except for the directing, cinematography and this awesome music. The music in the episode is pure magic. And some shots, especially the dragons flying above the clouds, were phenomenal. Beside that, everything was terrible and made no sense whatsoever. So this awfull long Night from the legends is basically Theon dying. Horrifying! Military strategy: you mean "Operation black shield" from South Park. A Winter that lasts a generation with snow that freezes castles: here take a 10 minute blizzard. For fucks sake, most winters in Europe are worse than what the show portayed as the "coldest winter". Guess the maesters were wrong all along. Bran is the three eyed raven, who knows everything and we must protect him at all costs: Better not aks him anything. Who are the WW and what do they want? Surely this three eyed raven must know. Whanna ask him? Nah, don't want to be spoiled. So this undead Dragon destroyed the Wall? Better hide behind those stones from his flame, he won't remember that he can destroy that. He lost his Mana. You want a climatic built up of the downfall of the "true enemy": Arya sneaking in the last two minutes will do the job just fine. 

I allways separated the books and the show. I never compared those two, as they are made for different mediums. I never cared what book fans had to say about it. I never cared about any fan theeory. I liked some of the changes they did in the show. Cersei is a better written character in the show than in the books. Tywin Lannister, thanks to the actor, is a better written character. The interaction between Cersei and Robert, that wasn't in the books, was perfect to prortray their relationship. But the last episode had issues that you can't just ignore. It was a terribly written script, with a terrible plotline and the worst solution to the WW storyline that you could have come up with. I have criticized GRRM for his last two books a lot. But there is no way the last episode has anything to do with his books, even if Arya killing the leader of the WW is part of the book story, which is a very unlikely scenario. Even then, George would built this story up, and not just a scare jump, to shock the audience. 

4 hours ago, SirArthur said:

Hmm. Do you have any reference that it requires fighting at all ?

the story of the last hero and his sword
the story of Azor Ahai and the story behind lightbringer
when rhaegar who thought he was the PTWP still said "it seems I'll have to be a warrior"
Mel view of fighting the dead
Jon's dream of fighting the WW
basic story telling setup of the whole story

take your pick really, sure fighting won't be the only thing that saves the day but Fighting will lay an important role none the less. being the PTWP is not a sit back and watch other people do all the things kind of job. that would be more of the 3 eye raven type job of giving out info for others to act on.

6 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

I agree. It's why I correctly predicted that the Night King would be killed off in E3. The Others as the final threat just puts this fantasy novel backwards from Tolkien, and makes it another Tolkien imitation. The final threat will always be humans - each other. The reason why the novel was different was because of the game and the blend of fantasy and medieval history. It has to end on what made the books different. 

That said since the Others and Dany are the ice vs. fire of the title, I dont think the magical threats have completely been eliminated. Fire magic is still a big threat to the kingdoms. Its just framed as a pursuit for the throne now

I sure hope so. The supernatural aspect is by far one of the most intriguing things about this series. Granted, I appreciate there being multiple conflicts, but to have the Others defeated in such manner is a little disappointing.

5 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

Right, he's old school in that way. You can see this in Fire and Blood when Aerea comes back from Valyria. Seems like he's trying to convey the the horrors of nuclear fallout and what it does to people's bodies. Valyria and Asshai are places poisoned by magical pollution. That still could happen to Westeros in the next 3 episodes.

I refuse to read that one before Winds comes out. :))

Chernobyl had occurred only a few years before. Anyone here over a certain age, no matter what country you're from, remembers both the Cold War, Chernobyl and TMI and the threat from them.

Who remembers the TV movie The Day After?

On 4/30/2019 at 10:04 PM, LadyOlenna said:

Where did he post it??? I've been reading his "not a blog" and watching/reading all inteviews, but the only time he specifically talked about tWoW's progression, as far as I know, he just said that the writing is going very well lately. But of course I'd LOVE to be wrong! Could you please post a link to the post you mention?

OMG, I was wrong!!!

https://popculture.com/trending/2019/04/27/game-of-thrones-creator-george-rr-martin-posts-nfl-draft-fans-new-book/

NOOOOOO!!!

9 hours ago, Ice Queen said:

I mentioned in another thread when climate change came up that ASOIAF is more likely to be about nuclear winter than climate change. The outlines were written in 1993 which is well before climate change was a thing.

James Hansen's watershed testimony to congress in 1988 took awareness of climate change out of academic circles and into the public sphere, so climate change was definitely a thing by 1993.  

9 hours ago, Ice Queen said:

George is a child of the Cold War, and nuclear annihilation, and the winter that followed, was a very real threat. 

There are many influences in ASoIaF, it's a mistake to dwell to heavily on any one of them 

5 hours ago, T and A said:

I have no problem of Arya killing the NK. But the way they did it, was purely for shock values and an M.Night Shayamalan twist. I

How was it a "twist"?  They basically announced what was going to happen in the scene with Melisandre earlier in the show.  Yeah they distracted you by showing everyone else but even then you should have realize they were showing everyone but Arya. 

They've laid the foundations for Arya killing the NK for quite some time now, and Melisandre basically spoiled it in the middle of the episode.
After that scene I instantly went "Wow, so Arya's killing the NK this episode? Cool."

Arya killing the NK was unexpected and not something I would've guessed a year or two ago. But it didn't come entirely out of the blue.
You know what would've come out of the blue? Hotpie killing the NK.

10 hours ago, ramla said:

I think the "Long Night" will be far longer then the show did. Winter will reach Kings Landing, and that may even be thier final stand... Not Winterfell. A dream of spring kinda connotes a long winter of darkness.  

Well yes, it's pretty unequivocal in the book that "The Long Night" last many YEARS - a generation, not one literal fecking night!!!!!

Archived