History was made.

8 minutes ago, darmody said:

Flip Arya and Jon and it would be no different. Except the fight would have been more plausible and Jon had to earn a confrontation by knocking the Night King off his dragon. Arya just teleported behind him. 

What I would have preferred is a battle that actually mattered. The way it played out, the only thing that mattered was the Night King, Bran, and Arya being in the same place. And there's no indication the Night King needed an army at Winterfell to lure him. He tried to get Bran when there were only like two people protecting him under the tree, remember?

Maybe if Arya getting in a position to kill him required a battle...But no. She materialized out of thin air. And the battle actually slowed her down. 

I guess we just see things differently. This is entertainment, they have to show things to entertain the masses, you know, the viewers who keep the shows alive?

I do think a Jon vs NK battle and then they get separated and the rest of the episode plays out like it did would have been better. That and show us something of Arya getting there. We last see her and Mel with the what do we say to death scene and we see Arya like she thought of something and starts leaving.

5 hours ago, dbunting said:

How were they pointless exactly? I'm sensing sarcasm but not entirely sure.

It was, I was poking fun at the users on this forum that actually fully believe that Jon and Daenerys contributions in this was is utterly pointless.

As audience, we have the power of hindsight and rewind, let alone full knowledge (almost) of what's going on. 
It's easy for us to say "they should've done this and that" after seeing something pan out badly.
The characters in the show doesn't have these powers however, and some people seem to forget that (either unintentionally or intentionally).

If the characters had gone all "alright, everyone out, except for Arya and Bran, you two head to the Godswood" before the battle, we would've all been flabbergasted. 

48 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

It was, I was poking fun at the users on this forum that actually fully believe that Jon and Daenerys contributions in this was is utterly pointless.

As audience, we have the power of hindsight and rewind, let alone full knowledge (almost) of what's going on. 
It's easy for us to say "they should've done this and that" after seeing something pan out badly.
The characters in the show doesn't have these powers however, and some people seem to forget that (either unintentionally or intentionally).

If the characters had gone all "alright, everyone out, except for Arya and Bran, you two head to the Godswood" before the battle, we would've all been flabbergasted. 

And we would have felt cheated out of the huge battle that we had expected.

51 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

This. :agree:

3 hours ago, dbunting said:

I guess we just see things differently. This is entertainment, they have to show things to entertain the masses, you know, the viewers who keep the shows alive?

I do think a Jon vs NK battle and then they get separated and the rest of the episode plays out like it did would have been better. That and show us something of Arya getting there. We last see her and Mel with the what do we say to death scene and we see Arya like she thought of something and starts leaving.

Jon and the NK did have a battle.  And did get separated.  The battle was on dragonback. 

Regarding Arya, I knew where she was going when she left Sandor and Mel.  I just wondered if she would make it in time.

After I read hundreds of comments until my head exploded I think that all this episode was linked to books and was great.

For the wildlings from north of the Wall the Long Night  started years ago when they were butcher by WW.  For someone from the south LN never existed.  In the show (and books) it started with the first scene from season 1 ep.1, respectively The prologue from first book. What we saw in the last episode was the end and all of GRRM five  majore characters played an important role in all this time.

NK was The Great Other whose name must not be said. The God with many faces - Death. Even in the books must be someone to turn Craster's sons in WW.

Melisandre was Nissa Nissa.
After she lit the trench Melisandre met up with Arya. And she was fine. After Arya killed NK Melisandre looks week, she threw the ruby, she's aged quickly and died. Melisandre is fire. When she meet Arya, through the ruby at her neck, she transferred the power of her fire (her life), in the ruby on the hilt of the dagger. How did she know  about dagger? Bran (they both have the power of magic), or, even Arya told her. The dagger is very special, Sam saw it in one of the book of the Citadel. I think Bran knew that.

Bran is The Last Hero (The Last Hero was the First 3ER)
I think Bran has done much more than we think. In the books is still  in training and the show didn't show us too much about him. But that scene with those ravens following NK has not been rendered useless. We dont't know what powers will have Bran in books at that time, but I'm more than sure that Bran controlled WW minds. This is the reason why they couldn't  do anything, not even to budge when their boss was killed.
And NK felt something.

Arya is Azor Ahai trained to kill without to be felt, without to be heard, without to be seen. She's no one. Like The Hound said no one can defeat the Death.  

Daenerys is TPTWP Maester Aemon knew that better than all, and her role isn't over.

Jon Snow/Aegon Targaryen
I said in one of my previous comments that the whole story behind Jon was thrown  out the window but I was wrong.
The purpose of his story at Night's Watch and beyond the Wall (with wildlings)  was to make him see the entire picture of the danger and to unite the force  of the living, not to kill Death (NK). After he brought the wildlings to the south  of the wall ke was killed. His purpose has not been fulfilled. So, R'hllor brought him back to life. Now he has reached the goal but he has a new mision. Aegon Targaryen. And so, we will find out what really happened at the Tournament  of Harrenhal and in Robert's Rebelion.

His dream about fighting in a black ice armor (something like that I don't remember  exactly)  with a sword of fire in his hand has a new meaning for me.  He is a Targaryen (Rhaegar was wearing a black armor) and the sword of fire is Raeghal. I rememberd that in his dream the death men that he was killing were countless. But he didn't kill not a single WW.
He is the hero who convinced the many children of Mother Rhoyne,  to put aside their bickering and  join in a secret song that brought back the day.

The previous Long Night had another hero.The woman with monkey's tail whose deeds  averted the disaster. This is Tyrion. In KL when he was Joffrey's Hand he  was mocked by the people as Demon monkey. Oberyn said that he heard that Tyrion was born with tail, but his father cut it off. Tyrion was the one that stopped  Dany to attack KL. (He averted the disaster). 

1 hour ago, Tywin Tytosson said:

Jon and the NK did have a battle.  And did get separated.  The battle was on dragonback. 

Regarding Arya, I knew where she was going when she left Sandor and Mel.  I just wondered if she would make it in time.

True, I should have been more specific. I meant on land. If he and Jon had a pretty long battle and Jon was getting the better of him and the NK realized it, then summoned the dead to help him, let him escape, I feel like it would have worked better. But I'm not a writer, just my fan fiction thoughts. Jon would've been left there to fight the wights and Ghost could've come to his aid, and lived, and made many more of us happy.

I didn't know where Arya was going but it made sense. She had her epiphany and knew what she had to do. Personally I think it's great that she was the one to do this. She spent her time training to be a killer, not a leader or politically smart, but a stealthy killer and that's exactly what was needed.

35 minutes ago, dbunting said:

True, I should have been more specific. I meant on land. If he and Jon had a pretty long battle and Jon was getting the better of him and the NK realized it, then summoned the dead to help him, let him escape, I feel like it would have worked better. But I'm not a writer, just my fan fiction thoughts. Jon would've been left there to fight the wights and Ghost could've come to his aid, and lived, and made many more of us happy.

OK.  Yes, I could see how this might have worked better or been more emotionally satisfying.

Archived