Arya's Weapon

LadyNoOne

Hi,

I have a few questions regarding the nature of Arya's weapon.  It must have had a purpose.  It appeared to be a double edged spear made of dragon-glass that is separable in the middle for some reason.  Could it be that it was separable in case she lost part?  She never did; so, we will not know.

She hops down from the tree to intercept Bran/3ER but foregoes this weapon.   It is as if she knows what to use: the Valerian steel dagger.  She tries once and drops it, catching it in just the nick of time.

Now, the Great War is won, via Arya.  Tidy, a bit too much.   I mean, Bran did tell everyone that the NK was coming for him; so, why wouldn't Arya just wait there... 

I must say that it will be interesting to find out what becomes of the Golden Company and Euron's armada.

Cheers,

3 hours ago, LadyNoOne said:

It must have had a purpose.  

It had a purpose - It was a weapon that was very efficient in the hands of someone who was proficient with it, like Arya.
Then it either broke and she ditched it, or she dropped it after getting hit in the head pretty badly. (I don't fully remember.)

Sometimes a cool weapon is just a cool weapon.

A "Cool" weapon is one with broad utility in Arya's eyes. 

How it is efficient, well now we know that part of it can be used as a daggar, but to no avail.
If broken, she could use what is left: this I thought.  Yet. nothing special was revealed about this end.  There must have been something.

All the while, Bran was the "bait", and Arya did not stalk the NK in the Gods' wood as expected.... 

The weapon's important plot wise was to give Arya and Gendry to have conversations without talking about anything dealing with their time together or how they feel about each other. 

Arya really could have just shown up in the battle with that thing and no one would make a huge deal about it. 

42 minutes ago, LadyNoOne said:

How it is efficient, well now we know that part of it can be used as a daggar, but to no avail.
If broken, she could use what is left: this I thought.  Yet. nothing special was revealed about this end.  There must have been something.

All the while, Bran was the "bait", and Arya did not stalk the NK in the Gods' wood as expected.... 

It's just a double headed spear as Arya had trained with staffs at the House of Black and white,  It also had the ability to separate into two.  That was all there was nothing overly special about it. 

1 minute ago, anjulibai said:

The weapon's important plot wise was to give Arya and Gendry to have conversations without talking about anything dealing with their time together or how they feel about each other. 

Arya really could have just shown up in the battle with that thing and no one would make a huge deal about it. 

Yep that's basically what that scene was a way for Arya and Gendry to talk.  

2 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

OK, I tend to agree with you.  Most of us have seen Arya for the better part of ten years now, and we know that special look she is giving Gendry: it is definitely lust but omg she wants him.  I think there is more to it.  I think she wants to build a life with him, and nice the tool.  That is an esteem builder.  She does use it with the wights, but knows what needs to be done in the end, with Bran...

1 hour ago, MinscS2 said:

It had a purpose - It was a weapon that was very efficient in the hands of someone who was proficient with it, like Arya.
Then it either broke and she ditched it, or she dropped it after getting hit in the head pretty badly. (I don't fully remember.)

Sometimes a cool weapon is just a cool weapon.

Yeah, she drops it when she hits her head, and she can't grab it back because there's a horde of them thronging in the doorway to get to her. That's when she runs off and seeks safety in corridors instead of the open yard. Along the way she steals a sword from someone who lies dead in the hallway and steals off until she hears noise in the library. I know people wondered about Arya wandering inside, but without that staff, all she has is the dagger, and thus it makes sense she seeks corridors with narrow passages. She just didn't count on there being multiple wights perusing books in the library. :dunno:

I'm feeling optimistic about Arya and Gendry. Maybe I shouldn't. the pain will hurt that much more. Season 7 and 8 are really one season. They clearly worked out both at the same time. The Wight Hunt was purely to give the end of 7 something of a send off with some action. But it was only half there. With that in mind, Gendry must be back for a reason. He seems to have a sense of destiny with Davos but so far he's run a marathon beyond the wall, made some weapons, had 90 seconds of combat time and slept with Arya. They've reminded us of his bloodline too. So what is his purpose? Its clearly not done because he would be an easy episode 3 kill.  He must be tied in to Arya's final fate.

42 minutes ago, AryaNymeriaVisenya said:

I'm feeling optimistic about Arya and Gendry. Maybe I shouldn't. the pain will hurt that much more. Season 7 and 8 are really one season. They clearly worked out both at the same time. The Wight Hunt was purely to give the end of 7 something of a send off with some action. But it was only half there. With that in mind, Gendry must be back for a reason. He seems to have a sense of destiny with Davos but so far he's run a marathon beyond the wall, made some weapons, had 90 seconds of combat time and slept with Arya. They've reminded us of his bloodline too. So what is his purpose? Its clearly not done because he would be an easy episode 3 kill.  He must be tied in to Arya's final fate.

I agree. I think they're going somewhere with him. Joe Dempsie shot scenes in other locations besides the Winterfell set, and there's an interview out there of him in an outfit that's nicer than something a blacksmith would wear. 

6 hours ago, anjulibai said:

I agree. I think they're going somewhere with him. Joe Dempsie shot scenes in other locations besides the Winterfell set, and there's an interview out there of him in an outfit that's nicer than something a blacksmith would wear. 

You have a daughter, I have a son, let's join our houses. Except these two would be marrying for love not because they are told to.

12 hours ago, LadyNoOne said:

Hi,

I have a few questions regarding the nature of Arya's weapon.  It must have had a purpose.  It appeared to be a double edged spear made of dragon-glass that is separable in the middle for some reason.  Could it be that it was separable in case she lost part?  She never did; so, we will not know.

It was separable so it could be used in confined spaces, like a hallway.  She did separate the 2 pieces and use them in a hallway/staircase.

10 hours ago, LadyNoOne said:

The purpose of the detachable end was to allow her to fight in close quarters where she couldn’t swing a staff. That’s exactly what she did. 

And the plan was never for her to use this weapon to kill the NK or for her to use any weapon to kill him. The plan was to kill him with dragon fire, which didn’t work. Then they improvised. 

On 5/2/2019 at 5:43 AM, Tywin Tytosson said:

If only she still had he staff when she ran into Mel ...  :)

Mel wouldn’t have stood a chance :P.

The Force>>>>>>The lord of light.

Archived