What was the plan before Mel showed up?

It would’ve been better if Mel was disguised as that little girl with those burn marks on her face.

That or she could’ve at least brought more red priests/priestesses with her.

27 minutes ago, Wagshell said:

Mel did absolutely nothing of any use at all. Maybe bought a couple of minutes by lighting the trench, not much.

Have you watched the episode? She was the one to tell Arya to kill the NK. If it wasn't for her, Arya would not have done it, the NK would have won. Besides Arya, she did the most in that episode.

4 hours ago, Sir said:

It would’ve been better if Mel was disguised as that little girl with those burn marks on her face.

That or she could’ve at least brought more red priests/priestesses with her.

Apparently the red god cared enough to orchestrate events even years in advance but not enough to send more than one of his followers. 

I guess it was all preordained so he was very confident. Except the prophecy part. That was irrelevant. 

It's all very confusing I'm probably just not smart enough to "get it". 

The plan original was to hold the fort and ambush the NK once he went for Bran.

The fort was held (barely) and the NK was ambushed once he went for Bran - just not the way they planned in E2.

Imo Mel didn't change anything. Yeah, she told Arya some mysterious nonsense and quoted Syrio and fortunately for all the living Arya overcame her sudden "I'm very afraid of wights" phase and interpreted it as that she can try to kill the NK. But that wasn't the plan anyway. Sending the dothraki in the darkness when no one even knew if the wights are even there was utterly stupid, whether they had or didn't have burning sword. I was deeply disappointed that the catapult stones didn't land among the dothraki.  Jon&co. originally wanted to light up the trenches by dragonfire, that didn't happen and Mel set it on fire instead but it stopped the wights only for a couple of minutes, so that didn't really help either.

2 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

But that wasn't the plan anyway.

Apparently R'hllor has his own plan involving Arya and the Night King was simply slain according to plan in a classic Deus ex machina and the entire Others/AotD/WW plot resolved in an instant. The only thing missing was a stage crane lowering Arya down into kill position.

That is pretty much what happened? 

The more thought I give it, the cheaper and cheesier it feels. 

If Rh'llor really brought Beric back to life 15 times just to save Arya from that rather generic danger (seriously, Sam survived the same sort of thing multiple times and he can't fight like Arya, and the Hound did as much to save her in that scene as Beric), then Rh'llor could have spared someone to really help her against the Waif. 

Yeah the only thing Mel did was buy them a few more seconds. But honestly, she did nothing. That whole ''blue eyes, green eyes'' was nonsense that initially had nothing to do with the NK so how would Arya even know the NK, she never saw him. She doesn't even know his eye color. Plus they rearranged the order of that sentence just to shove that in here as if they had planned that all along, despite admitting that had nothing to do with it.

If Mel hadn't been there, not much would've changed. I mean D&D would've come up with some other BS. The end would've stayed the same. We saw thousands of wights, dozens of them surrounding our main heroes for what seemed like ages, I mean we saw many wights on top of Sam for god knows how long. In the real world Sam would've died in seconds. As would most of the other main characters. 

7 minutes ago, #teamNightking said:

Apparently R'hllor has his own plan involving Arya and the Night King was simply slain according to plan in a classic Deus ex machina and the entire Others/AotD/WW plot resolved in an instant. The only thing missing was a stage crane lowering Arya down into kill position.

That is pretty much what happened? 

The more thought I give it, the cheaper and cheesier it feels. 

It certainly does. The story of the NK was slowly built over 7 freaking seasons and then it is solved by one ninja who just walked in and stabbed the big bad evil guy. VERY anticlimatic, if you ask me.

16 hours ago, Coffeewiththegods said:

soooo...before Mel showed up their plan was to send the Dothraki out into the darkness with just regular weapons??? Like not made of dragon glass or anything? Or at least their weapons didn’t appear to be made of dragon glass.

That was exactly the plan. or lack there of. 

7 minutes ago, theladyinspring said:

If Rh'llor really brought Beric back to life 15 times just to save Arya from that rather generic danger (seriously, Sam survived the same sort of thing multiple times and he can't fight like Arya, and the Hound did as much to save her in that scene as Beric), then Rh'llor could have spared someone to really help her against the Waif. 

The show writers really made Beric Dondarion barricade a door... It sounds like something someone would make a joke about after Hodor.

22 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Apparently the plan all along was always to randomly sacrifice every single Dothraki warrior to the army of the dead, and their horses too.

But not before trolling them with false hope by lighting their arakhs. 

Gotcha!

I guess Mel sees some things but doesn't see a lot more  Like a lot a lot. 

Archived