Pokémon Go: It’s a Shiny World Out There!

Fragile Bird

So many shinies! Do you have a Diglett yet? Or a Sandshrew? I have the former but not the latter. And shiny Seel went live today!

And...I might be going to Go Fest in Chicago the weekend of the 15th - 16th! We are getting the tickets in any event, $27 bucks, and seeing if we can get a decent flight and and hotel. One of the Pokémon Go guys I hang out with and go shiny hunting with asked me if I wanted his extra ticket!

Oh, and there was a surprise Groudon  event tonight, at 6:00 pm every gym had a raid and most were Groudon. My baby account, FB, got a shiny with a 98 iv! 

It was a little weird, yeah. No announcement, just Diglett galore, and double candy on the ground types? Didn't even know when it was going to end.

No shinies here either.

The ground event was announced - there was an Earth Day event, and you know what Niantic does, ‘if there is such-and-such participation levels’ there will be a follow-on event. Ground Pokémon got double candy and shiny Diglett was released with shiny Sandshrew more available. It started Monday night and ended Thursday at 4:00 pm. 

The bigger surprise was the shiny Lapras being released in the Win 5 gym battles quest. The rumour quickly got around that shinies were being found in remarkable numbers, and in Toronto someone produced a list of a dozen quest locations. By noon 8 or 9 of them had been switched out to Catch 5 Fighting type. Friends of mine picked up just one quest and got shiny Lapras. I found 2 on both my accounts and did not get one, sadly. This was on Saturday or Sunday. On Monday and Tuesday the quests almost disappeared, a couple popping up way out in the suburbs and a couple in the downtown core in places that were difficult to get to. Then on May 1 they changed the quests and Win 5 gym battles now gives Grimer, again with a shiny possibility.

I did get an Azelf, the new legendary raid boss. It’s a bit tricky to catch, jumps up and down a lot, doesn’t attack much so you have to be patient, and it’s small, so the excellent circle is tiny and hard to hit. I did two raids with my two accounts, caught 3. I think only one was caught with a Great, the rest by lucky hits.

I have to admit I'm getting pretty bored with this game. The only new content these days is a legendary boss once a month, new quests every 3 months, and shinies; and rolling 1/450 is not my idea of fun gameplay.  The pace of releasing this generation has been absurdly slow, and aside from Buneary, Starly, and Bidoof, I can go weeks without seeing any of the new Pokemon in the wild. Even events have generally been pretty lame, with a few exceptions; release a new shiny, make the same pool of 10 Pokemon exclusively spawn for a week, repeat. It's impressive at all that I'm still playing this game almost three years after it released, but I do hope they put more effort in over the summer, because I can't imagine I'll be sticking around for much longer.

Detective Pikachu even could be fun, glad it is lasting a week so I have some shot of finding stuff.  Looks like both Snubbull and Psyduck will be spawning, should save me some walking as I don't have either evolved yet.  Wish I didn't have to use the camera to catch a Detective Pikachu, I still haven't caught a Smeargle that way.

But still, keep me barely hanging on Pokemon Go.

I have enjoyed this event more than any other thus far.  Probably because it does feature so many Pokemon I haven't seen around much.  I evolved the Pysduck and Loudrid, caught two Detectives so I can evolve one, and have almost 300 candy for that damn monkey.  Still not a single shiny though, I don't think they really exist.

3 hours ago, SkynJay said:

I have enjoyed this event more than any other thus far.  Probably because it does feature so many Pokemon I haven't seen around much.  I evolved the Pysduck and Loudrid, caught two Detectives so I can evolve one, and have almost 300 candy for that damn monkey.  Still not a single shiny though, I don't think they really exist.

PG groups around here use What’s App to communicate, and someone started a Shiny group which I joined. My friends keep asking me if I’m a masochist. There are people blessed by Niantic, who Catch shinies almost every night.

I don’t have any, and dammit, I keep forgetting to take those pictures.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

These Team Rocket battles are kicking my ass.  This game has not really ever focused on a challenge before, it is a welcome addition.  But barely beating a Snorlax before being wiped by a Charizard was not something I was expecting today.

Agreed that it's nice to have a challenge! I'm enjoying these Rocket battles a lot. I've found that a lot of the squishier Pokemon that work well in gym battles and raids, like Machamp, can get murdered in these battles. I recommend Tyranitar, especially Smackdown/Stone Edge ones if you have any.

Trying to figure out who to put up against the Rockets...is there a key to what types they're battling with?  I feel like there is, but I haven't figured it out, even though I'm sure it's easier than I make it...

I don't know if there's a key, but there's only certain families I've run into in c. 20 battles. The most common are bulbasaur and its evolutions, squirtle and evos, charmander and evos, zubat family,  and rattata family. More rarely, you run into the dratini family, mudkip family, and snorlax. I can't stress enough that having a Tyranitar, especially a Smackdown one, has been really helpful for me in beating these. I always lead with it. I've also been using Mamoswine, Moltres, and Raikou.

There is a key in terms of what Pokémon are going to be in the battle. Depending on the opening comment of the Team Rocket leader you will get certain Pokémon, and you can choose your team accordingly.

Yesterday I got my ass kicked by a team of rats, today it was by a team of Squirtle family Pokémon. It was embarrassing how bad I was, but I don’t battle, lol.

Apparently Machamp, Breloom and Hariyama with Dynamic Punch are what you use against Snorlax. But...you can't use anything above 2500 CP, and I've powered up all my good ones!

Here's a list from the Silph Road. I see their comment for the Squirtle, Ivysaur, Venusaur team is "don't bother". They have lists of appropriate counters. The TR list is far more extensive than the one I first saw two days ago. As for "don't bother", you can destroy your bag of potion pretty damn quickly, lol!

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/chpipe/can_we_have_a_compilation_of_all_possible_team/

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Apparently Machamp, Breloom and Hariyama with Dynamic Punch are what you use against Snorlax. But...you can't use anything above 2500 CP, and I've powered up all my good ones!

Here's a list from the Silph Road. I see their comment for the Squirtle, Ivysaur, Venusaur team is "don't bother". They have lists of appropriate counters. The TR list is far more extensive than the one I first saw two days ago. As for "don't bother", you can destroy your bag of potion pretty damn quickly, lol!

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/chpipe/can_we_have_a_compilation_of_all_possible_team/

You can use Pokes above 2,500 cp! It's a glitch if the game is not letting you. Make a master league team (or delete your ultra league team) and it will let you use all pokemons.

The problem with those fighting pokemon against Rocket Snorlax is that Snorlax has moves that are super effective against Machamp. In a normal gym or raid battle, you can tank that, but in these, Snorlax murders your Machamps. That's why Ttar works so well- it resists Snorlax's moves and does decent damage in turn.

Armoured Mewtwo disappears on Wednesday at 1:00 pm local time and is replaced by Rayquaza - shiny black Rayquaza possible!

And shiny straw hat Pikachu disappeared at 1:00 today and I never caught one. 

eta: Not 1:00 PM local time, 1:00 pm PDT.

Archived