Pokémon Go: It’s a Shiny World Out There!

Fragile Bird

3 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

That a shiny MewTwo you're supporting there as a buddy, @Kalbear? That's some clean Pokemon living you're doing there...

Yep. Right now my buddies are rotating between shiny ray, charizard and mewtwo. 

also, if anyone wants to invite me to raids feel free to. I'm mostly interested in legendaries - especially tomorrow with dialga and palkia - but also want gibles, timburrs and kyurem.

• 4 months later...

Who wants to do some Azelf raids? I want to do some Mesprit and Uxie! 

We have a guy with friends in Uxie territory who organized a WhatsApp page for raids and I just got raids done with both of my accounts! It’s fantastic that we can do these raids! 

Come on, guys! I’m happy to set up raids with my two accounts so I can invite ten people who want Azelf.

13 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

We have a guy with friends in Uxie territory who organized a WhatsApp page for raids and I just got raids done with both of my accounts! It’s fantastic that we can do these raids! 

Come on, guys! I’m happy to set up raids with my two accounts so I can invite ten people who want Azelf.

I can't believe the lake trio was bought back but they weren't rotated. Only owning one of the three is a real pain.

14 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I'm up for some Uxie and Mesprite if they're put there. Got the Azelf already...

Didn't know people here play this!

I started this game recently because I play the switch (and previously the game boy) games and they announced connectivity with Pokemon Home, and because I am an idiot. I could use some tips and advice and such since I'm currently feeling part frustrated part overwhelmed.

It seems really hard to play this game and not spend money and I'm already feeling pressured/tempted: there's just so much going on all the time (is it always this constant barrage of events and different spawns? really abusing my FOMO hooks) and I feel at once under extreme resource pressure because of the need for balls and potions and revives and whatnot which I never feel like I have enough of, and also feeling like my bags are always full - hitting me from both sides at once to try and get me to part with a few pounds here and a few pounds there... which tbh is mostly making me want to uninstall. Still I'll stick with it for now I guess since it's at least motivating me to get out and get some exercise on these cold shitty days. Anyway one thing I have learned so far is that it's very advantageous to have friends to exchange gifts with so feel free to add me, my code is 6048 5385 1756. Thanks!

16 minutes ago, Poobah said:

Didn't know people here play this!

I started this game recently because I play the switch (and previously the game boy) games and they announced connectivity with Pokemon Home, and because I am an idiot. I could use some tips and advice and such since I'm currently feeling part frustrated part overwhelmed.

It seems really hard to play this game and not spend money and I'm already feeling pressured/tempted: there's just so much going on all the time (is it always this constant barrage of events and different spawns? really abusing my FOMO hooks) and I feel at once under extreme resource pressure because of the need for balls and potions and revives and whatnot which I never feel like I have enough of, and also feeling like my bags are always full - hitting me from both sides at once to try and get me to part with a few pounds here and a few pounds there... which tbh is mostly making me want to uninstall. Still I'll stick with it for now I guess since it's at least motivating me to get out and get some exercise on these cold shitty days. Anyway one thing I have learned so far is that it's very advantageous to have friends to exchange gifts with so feel free to add me, my code is 6048 5385 1756. Thanks!

I’ve just sent friend requests from my two accounts, FB and B1954! 

With this horrible year with nothing to spend money on, I’ve spent way, way too much on Pokémon. But I don’t spend on anything else, so, what the hell. But lots of people (including me, before) spend as little as possible on the game. Big hint: place Pokemon in gyms as much as possible so that you can earn 50 coins a day. Make sure you spin a gym once a day to get a free raid pass, and use that pass everyday, because they don’t accumulate.

Walk and catch and earn dust and candy. Check the values of your Pokémon, and throw out everything that isn’t at least a 3 star unless it’s your first one of a type. The big pressure will be to buy more bag space and more storage space, so if you can avoid the habit of hoarding it will go better for you.

Check out WhatsApp for a local Pokémon group to join and make friends with. We will get past this damn virus, and you’ll join your friends at raids and on community days and then go out for beers and burgers! :) 

I’m sure there are many other helpful hints folks can come up with.

Thanks! Also appreciate the friend requests and gifts - exchanging gifts is definitely one of the things I like in this game, it's nice to have more friends to send 'um to!

Nidoran day today was interesting. I managed to figure out what was going on and get through the quest chain. I got a few shiny females from the boosted shiny rate too, though no males at all alas. Not sure I'd have made it through the whole chain but I was helping a friend out at her allotment today which is right next to a local football club that's a gym and a pokestop so whenever we took a break I got to do a lot of catching and spinning for extra stuff which helped a bunch with all the tasks and such ^_^

13 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

There was a special event research thing yesterday?  Oops.

It's a today thing, I'm not sure if they are timeshifted based on where you are in the world, but I still have a few hours left on it here in the UK so I'd imagine you have more being 6 hours or so west of me. Here's a link to the full set of research tasks and rewards on Serebii.

On 11/28/2020 at 1:21 PM, Jaxom 1974 said:

Ah. I haven't logged in today yet.  Not left the house today. 

It’s Nidoran day with really easy tasks to do, every task giving you a Nidoran, rotating between male and female every three tasks. There’s 6 hours left, 7 where you are because of the time difference. Get going!

I ended up with only two shiny Nido, one of each, on my main account, B1954, but my alt got six, four females and two males. Fortunately my main already had a Nidoqueen, caught at some previous event in 2018, and a L1 male, which I won’t evolve, so I can evolve the male I caught. Still need a third of both so I have the shiny family.

My alt didn’t have any shiny Nido, so I can evolve the females, still need another male.

In the meantime, the guys who organized the Uxie raids on the other side of the world did the same for Mesprit this morning, and I picked up a couple in Malta. I already had a lucky on my main I had traded Denvek for in exchange for an Azelf while in Dublin for Worldcon last year. This one was actually slightly better, a 93 in addition to my Lucky 91. The alt got an 82, nice to get a 3*.

What I’m trying to say is, if you aren’t distance raiding you’re missing out on fun!

37 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I ended up with only two shiny Nido, one of each, on my main account, B1954, but my alt got six, four females and two males. Fortunately my main already had a Nidoqueen, caught at some previous event in 2018, and a L1 male, which I won’t evolve, so I can evolve the male I caught. Still need a third of both so I have the shiny family.

My alt didn’t have any shiny Nido, so I can evolve the females, still need another male.

In the meantime, the guys who organized the Uxie raids on the other side of the world did the same for Mesprit this morning, and I picked up a couple in Malta. I already had a lucky on my main I had traded Denvek for in exchange for an Azelf while in Dublin for Worldcon last year. This one was actually slightly better, a 93 in addition to my Lucky 91. The alt got an 82, nice to get a 3*.

What I’m trying to say is, if you aren’t distance raiding you’re missing out on fun!

Grats on all the shiny Nidos! I ended up with 4 females and but no males, the first time I saw a shiny was pretty exciting but by the third one I was feeling pretty blase about seeing them and was mostly just swearing at the males for not getting with the program. It was a really fun little one day blitz - I liked getting lots of balls and berries and stuff chucked at me so I could keep at it, and it resulted in me getting both my first shiny and first fully evolved pokemon in Go, so that was really nice! It was also good for the "evolve 20 pokemon" stage of the Mew quest so that was an added bonus. I'm really glad it happened on a fairly mild day though, if it'd been icy like today I think I'd have stayed inside :lol: My brief trip out to the local playground today convinced me to go shopping for some phone-compatible gloves lest I end up with frostbite pursuing this hobby.

I did give distance raiding a go through a discord but the first one I joined my team got slaughtered and then I couldn't get back in (apparently because the timer ran out?) so my pass got totally wasted, and the other one my team got chewed through twice while the higher level players with their legendaries/mythicals carried me. I could barely hit Azelf at the end let alone get it to stay in the ball so after burning my passes plus a ton of revives and potions with pretty much nothing to show for the experience it left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. I'm not sure when they're gonna give me another free pass either, I think it's once a week? I believe you can do one a day for free if you visit the location IRL so maybe when spring arrives or the libraries are allowed to open again I'll get in to it a little more, but standing around alone under a bridge or outside a church in while trying to figure out how to get randos to join my raid through a discord or whatever on my phone in the middle of winter is a little unappealing.

Getting in my steps with my buddy Eevee has been good for me though, whatever else I'll moan about. I'm already feeling quite attached to the lil guy, which is a bit awkward because his stats are middling and yesterday or the day before I caught one with really amazing stats. Maybe I'll keep the lil Eevee as my walking/shoulder riding friend and evolve the strong boy since I have enough candy for that now. I read about using nicknames or meeting the Espeon/Umbreon conditions to control the evolution but I don't really have the info to make a decision on that yet - are any of the eeveelutions particularly strong/useful or alternatively weak and to be avoided in Go?

I find the Lake family hard to catch as well. Once trading started I created a second account to trade with myself, because whenever I’d meet up with people they’d tell me they already did the one special trade a day we’re allowed to do. Since both accounts are L 40 and best friends, they both get extra balls to catch with and sometimes I use all 17 or 18 I get and still don’t catch the raid boss. Some won’t be caught! You get a raid pass every day for live raiding and a remote pass once a week.

Special trades are trades of Legendary Pokémon, shinies, and any Pokémon you don’t already have. Once you have a regular Pokémon the trades aren’t special ones, but the Legendary and shiny ones are always special trades. And some Pokémon can’t be traded at all, because they are mythical, like Darkrai, Genesect and Deoxys.

When you are at a lower level you will need more lower level raiders with you to beat raid bosses, as you climb up you’ll be able to do 1* raids by yourself and then 3*. Or at least duo a raid. You need some good fighters, that’s where keeping high level Pokémon is important, 3* s of the best quality. Check the appraisals, you want 15 or 14 as the first number. 

I wasted a lot of dust initially because I was powering up poor quality Pokémon, or mon in their 80s because I thought I’d never catch anything in the 90s!

Need to get a few more remote passes.  I've been hoarding my paltry 50 coins a day...they need to change that...

Can't say I've done a ton of raiding around with the remote passes...but they're fun when they do happen.  Need to get some raids from somewhere other than North America though... :lol:

38 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Need to get a few more remote passes.  I've been hoarding my paltry 50 coins a day...they need to change that...

Can't say I've done a ton of raiding around with the remote passes...but they're fun when they do happen.  Need to get some raids from somewhere other than North America though... :lol:

Malt and his brother! I have invited them numerous times but I guess I choose a bad time when I do it!

Archived