Pokémon Go: It’s a Shiny World Out There!

Fragile Bird

Caught so many Nidos, no shiny ones. How many (roughly) total did you catch to get them?

I randomly hopped onto a Mega Gengar raid earlier and we won, but I just got a regular Gengar plus a bunch of rare candies, charges, etc... Should I have gotten a mega though? Unclear on how the megas work...

39 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

Caught so many Nidos, no shiny ones. How many (roughly) total did you catch to get them?

I randomly hopped onto a Mega Gengar raid earlier and we won, but I just got a regular Gengar plus a bunch of rare candies, charges, etc... Should I have gotten a mega though? Unclear on how the megas work...

The shiny Nidos I caught all came from the limited time research on Saturday. I didn’t count how many rounds there were, but I did all of them. 8? 10? 15? There were 3 Nidos in each round, and several rounds, including the final round, had a Nido encounter at the round completion. I later saw there was a quest as well, Catch a poison Pokémon, which gave a Nido. I have two accounts, and it seemed endless but when I did the last round on the first one it came as a surprise.

When you do the mega Gengar (or any mega raid) you battle the mega, but it turns into the regular Pokémon at the end. You do the raid to get the best raid boss you can and to earn the Mega Energy Candy you need to convert the mon into the Mega version. I forget the amount of candy you need, they changed the amounts because people complained they were asking for too much. I think you need 400 mega energy to convert a Pokémon the first time and then 200 for subsequent times. If you have a good one caught already I think you can convert it, I don’t think you need to use one caught at a mega raid. But you need the mega energy. I have been doing the tasks that give you mega energy, the Power up 5x tasks. The thing is you use up dust powering up. I have a hundo Houndoom, for example, but I need to do some raids because I’ve only done one so far and don’t have enough energy.

I really don’t understand why you want to convert a mon into a mega mon for 4 hours, for pvp battles? for raid hour? for special raid events if they ever come back (3 hour raid sessions they used to do)? I have converted a Charizard (there are two kinds) and a shiny Gengar. The shiny mega is a white ghost and is what I consider the coolest mega.

I did a ton of the Nido rounds yesterday, maybe 7-8 and the time ran out (as did my interest). It was a weird one - just repeating variations of the same thing and just getting more basic Nidos.

I'm glad someone else doesn't get the megas. I understand the basics but not my motivation to bother with it.

There's still no work around for remote trading, right? Only local?

54 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Hey! New post Level 40 tasks are up! I'm gonna be stuck at 40 forever! Yay!

The hardest part is catch 200 in one day. I went out to do my shopping with my poke ball and got FB done, catching by hand on B1954. When I got the 200 on FB, I traded accounts on my phones and finished the 200 on my main with the poke ball. The last 40 to catch were a real grind, lol! I did the 30 raids over two days because so many of my friends were inviting me to raids.

Catch your 200 on community day, using incense, and otherwise try to do a raid a day with your free passes. And voila! Done in a month!

2 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

The hardest part is catch 200 in one day. I went out to do my shopping with my poke ball and got FB done, catching by hand on B1954. When I got the 200 on FB, I traded accounts on my phones and finished the 200 on my main with the poke ball. The last 40 to catch were a real grind, lol! I did the 30 raids over two days because so many of my friends were inviting me to raids.

Catch your 200 on community day, using incense, and otherwise try to do a raid a day with your free passes. And voila! Done in a month!

Ah...but I'm not one to spend money, so the whole raid pass and get thirty of them...? 

And the charging up Legendary Pokemon...?  Gotta catch those too...haha!

22 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Ah...but I'm not one to spend money, so the whole raid pass and get thirty of them...? 

And the charging up Legendary Pokemon...?  Gotta catch those too...haha!

You get a free regular raid pass once a day. You can do the new Pokémon raid boss Espurr by yourself, or other 1* raids. I have way too many now, lol!

Every Monday you get a free remote raid pass, have you been collecting them? Just check the raids going on, best right after the raid boss has hatched, and wait for other people to show up in the gym, and join them! For 5* raids, I mean. Current raid boss is Kyurem. You need at least 4 people in the gym if you are all strangers. If 15 seconds before the raid, there aren’t 4 people, jump out and try again. If the raid hadn’t started you won’t lose your pass. 

I assume at L 40 you have enough dust to power up your legendaries!

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

You get a free regular raid pass once a day. You can do the new Pokémon raid boss Espurr by yourself, or other 1* raids. I have way too many now, lol!

Every Monday you get a free remote raid pass, have you been collecting them? Just check the raids going on, best right after the raid boss has hatched, and wait for other people to show up in the gym, and join them! For 5* raids, I mean. Current raid boss is Kyurem. You need at least 4 people in the gym if you are all strangers. If 15 seconds before the raid, there aren’t 4 people, jump out and try again. If the raid hadn’t started you won’t lose your pass. 

I assume at L 40 you have enough dust to power up your legendaries!

Oh I know all of that.  I just don't get a ton of chances to do the remote raids and my play method, I've not used raid passes on raids for pokemon I already have...hence not enough candy for a lot of my legendary pokemon...

These new rules will require a fundamental shift in my play method...

2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Yeah it's one of those things where so much of the time I can be playing and having a ton of fun with the game and then I hit these record-scratch moments that throw me out of it - item and pokemon inventories of course are a pain and then there's Raids which at the moment are where I'm feeling the mobile-game cash screws tightening the most. I got a field research task today to win 5 raids and I'm standing there wondering if I really want to have this taking up a slot for the next 5 days if I'm lucky and can make it to a gym and then win every day this week. Perhaps I'd feel differently if I lived in a more populous area where there'd be more gyms and people to do the raids with but I suspect mostly I'd just feel more pressure to pay for passes. The number of different raids, the necessity to connect with others for the worthwhile ones and the fomo associated with the time-limited nature and low chance of a capture after the fight all combine quite negatively for me.

IN POSITIVE NEWS I used my free remote pass to join a Kyurem raid and caught the frosty dragon, everything I've read suggests that it's kinda bad in fights but I'm actually really happy to have won a big raid and then succeeded in capturing a legendary. I also snagged myself a very high IV Eevee (though I'm gonna keep my crappy one as my shoulder-riding buddy because I've bonded emotionally with him now) which was a happy find, now I just need to do the research to figure out which eeveelution to turn him in to. Also I got a Lapras from the 7 day research breakthrough thing, the starts on her aren't great but Lapras is a favourite of mine so I'm really happy to have her!

I haven't seen as many Kalos pokemon, especially the starters, as I'd expected (now I say that of course all 3 of them are on my nearby tracker but it's midnight, cold out, and in the middle of a field so I'll pass) but I guess they're gonna be around all week so I've got time. I've seen an ok number of Litleos though, and several Fletchlings (the coolest of all the route 1 birds) which hopefully means I'll be able to evolve both of those up to their final forms, oh and the bunnies have been out an about a bit. Finally after some days of practising I've managed to nail excellent throws on a few species of pokemon, which is very gratifying and a massive ton of exp too. I'm particularly happy to have really gotten my motion down to nail Trubbish right in the centre which given that it's giving extra stardust and quite common at the moment is really nice.

Edit: Also wanted to say thanks to you both for the ongoing gift exchanges!

Meltan counts as a legendary for purposes of powering up and catching. Get those meltan boxes, a low level meltan and its an easy one.

I did the 200 Pokémon in an hour. That part is easy. The 30 raids is much harder unless you want shit raids like kyurem or esperr.

What's the Melanie deal again now?

And 41 is actually likely to be easier than I thought, assuming I get out for a day long enough to catch 200 pokemon...if I was at work, that might not be quite the chore...it's the XP points that sometimes takes time...

Reading through the requirements for levels up to 48 (49 and 50 not known yet?) and whoo boy there is some wacky stuff...

3 minutes ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

Meltan you have to either transfer something from go to the switch in lets go or transfer something from go to your Pokémon home account. The home account is a lot easier. 

Ah. Yeah. So no-good if you don't have a game on the switch...

Just now, Jaxom 1974 said:

Ah. Yeah. So no-good if you don't have a game on the switch...

You can get a Pokémon home account without needing anything other than a Nintendo account. And you can do that online. 

8 hours ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

You can get a Pokémon home account without needing anything other than a Nintendo account. And you can do that online. 

Hmmmm...obviously I've never paid attention to that...I guess I'll have to look into this...Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived