How exactly were the 'others' defeated 8,000 years ago

I find it hard to understand how the white walkers and the others were pushed back far North and then a Wall built to prevent them from crossing. They weren't killed. How was this accomplished with an army so large? It took todays westeros to actually kill the night king. But Westeros 8000 years ago were able to just push them back without actually killing them?

you would have thought that would be the first thing Bran checks.. instead Jon's parents are somehow more important because....  reasons?

I really dont know wtf Bran even does all day whilest hooked to Westeros Online...  is he just just spying on everyone woman showering ever?  Some kind of super perv?  He hasn't used his greensight to see anything helpful so far.   

12 hours ago, D2procon said:

I find it hard to understand how the white walkers and the others were pushed back far North and then a Wall built to prevent them from crossing. They weren't killed. How was this accomplished with an army so large? It took todays westeros to actually kill the night king. But Westeros 8000 years ago were able to just push them back without actually killing them?

Their army would not have been large at all back then.
They took 8000 years to pick off and resurrect wildlings, giants and crows to get to the level they got to

1 hour ago, Figdoni said:

Their army would not have been large at all back then.
They took 8000 years to pick off and resurrect wildlings, giants and crows to get to the level they got to

Neither the westeros army. So it balances out

The books make it clear that the history is unreliable. Sam points out that parts make no sense. 

The show very much suggests that Craster and the Watch are responsible for the return of the WWs. Craster for giving them his sons and the Watch for not protecting them knowing he was murdering them. 

So the question is where the NK came from, is he the original one or did AA never kill him or was there more than one 

The show doesn't have to answer every question you know.

On 5/1/2019 at 10:51 PM, D2procon said:

As others have stated, the the AotD would not have been that large and humans had help from the CotF and from giants.

My personal theory is that AA used Lightbringer to defeat the AotD, but Lightbringer couldn't hurt the WW. Or the WW never risked themselves; when their army was finally defeated, they withdrew to the far north. 

The legends also indicate that more than Westeros was involved.  AA was said to have tried to get the Roynish united.  Yi Ti has similar legends.  The Five Forts are Essos' version of The Wall, which were built For A Reason.

All that epic history regarding the Long Night and now it's all gone in a matter of days.

The Winter is gone, who cares anymore. It didn't even reach beyond Winterfell lol

As for the others' first defeat, there's a mix of humans, Children, Giants and heroes. But back then, there were a lot more Children, a lot more Giants, a lot more willing-to-fight humans and a ton more magic. And it still took an epic fight and unlikely hero to win.

In this Long Night, it only took Arya.

8 hours ago, Winterz said:

As for the others' first defeat, there's a mix of humans, Children, Giants and heroes. But back then, there were a lot more Children, a lot more Giants, a lot more willing-to-fight humans and a ton more magic. And it still took an epic fight and unlikely hero to win.

This.  Plus some kind of magic weapon aka a flaming sword.  My own head-canon is that this weapon was dragons or something akin to dragons.  This tipped the scales and enabled the living win this epic fight.

On 5/2/2019 at 11:28 AM, TheWolfOfCambridge said:

This question I'm sure will be the central theme to the Entire LN Prequel.

Along with explaining all of the early history of the Starks and their relation to the Night King. Even who the Night King (The Human) actually was and why he was so far north. Should be fascinating. 

Wait they are gonna make a long night prequel?

Well there were ALOT less people in westeros then. I would say there were less then a hundred thousand people in westeros back then (no proof but there were ALOT less people back then.  So the army of the dead probably wasn't as overwhelming. The children of the forest had magic and were more prevelant then. Also more people had magic then not just the children of the forest. I am sure there were other things but that is my guess.

3 minutes ago, snow is the man said:

Wait they are gonna make a long night prequel?

Of course. Why not make money out of the questions we put in people's heads for our bad writing?

1 minute ago, Winterz said:

Of course. Why not make money out of the questions we put in people's heads for our bad writing?

Are they gonna make any sequels? I loathe prequels (The hobbit is the exception). They generally destroy the lore and since you know what is gonna happen it kinda kills the suspense.

Just now, snow is the man said:

Are they gonna make any sequels? I loathe prequels (The hobbit is the exception). They generally destroy the lore and since you know what is gonna happen it kinda kills the suspense.

The interest in the White Walkers was always their mystery, but since they already destroyed them (and literally) without anything being revealed turning them into generic evil... what is the point?

Are they really going to explain the White Walkers in another show?

Archived