Lightbringer

I like the idea, that real Lightbringer is the smallest and least conspicuous of all Valyrian blades.

Nevertheless the story about Nissa Nissa (it's a story not prophecy to me) is about overcoming difficulties, taking risks and finally sacrificing something personally important for the sake of all.

WATER tempering represents failure to achieve victory through non-magical means.
LION tempering represents futility of forcing magic through taking personal risks, possibly to avoid the alternative.
NISSA NISSA tempering is disturbing because it shows selflessness on her part but lack of humanity on the hero's part.

I guess the Arya does fit the story somehow but so do others like Stannis (a lot!) or Jon.

Ultimately it turns out that Mel was AA and somehow she forged Arya.

On 5/6/2019 at 4:00 PM, The_Spanish_Inquisition said:

I think the whole PTWP, Azor Ahai/Lightbringer arc was a giant red herring. They don’t exist. They’re mythology and nothing more.  

GRRM has hit us over the head in interviews and also in the books that prophecy isn’t reliable. 

Could be. 

As we have seen, stories and especially legends do not necessarily tell the truth.  They get altered, either benignly as time goes by or malignantly by those who want to tell a (slightly) different story.  I could see the tales of the final defeat of the Others mentioning the dragons as the main weapons and the 'hero' who brought everyone together to fight but skipping over Arya's contribution.  Or changing the dragons to some other 'weapon'.

I wonder what actually did happen in the First War for the Dawn?

How does it differ from the legends?  And the prophecies?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived