Something for the Hound?

With Thoros and Beric gone, the Hound is kind of a man without a country. I’ve been thinking it would be fitting for him to pledge his service to the Starks. He clearly wants to protect Arya, and probably Sansa. In the books, at least, he talked about going into service with the Starks before the Red Wedding—said Robb should take him into his service to take care of The Mountain. It would be a nice finish for him to serve people he actually cares for.

And, on a practical note, he needs some damn armor to fight his brother.  Wouldn’t it be nice to see him kitted out as a Stark?

The Hound is basically already fighting for the Starks/Living, and he has a bond with Arya (and Gendry, of sorts.)

There was no reason for him to be with them when they delivered the wight to Cersei last season, (he could've stayed at the Wall with Beric), but he was anyway.

He hates his brother, who he know's is "serving" Cersei, so the Hound will either keep following the Starks, or peace out of the last battle entirely (which is unlikely, both from a narrative PoV and a TV-PoV.)

I agree that he is basically serving the Stark's already.  But I do hope if he survives to the end, and assuming there are still Stark's left, that he will stay serving them in a more official capacity.  He has always seemed to be drawn to both Sansa and Arya and keeping them safe in his own way. 

4 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

The Hound is basically already fighting for the Starks/Living, and he has a bond with Arya (and Gendry, of sorts.)

There was no reason for him to be with them when they delivered the wight to Cersei last season, (he could've stayed at the Wall with Beric), but he was anyway.

He hates his brother, who he know's is "serving" Cersei, so the Hound will either keep following the Starks, or peace out of the last battle entirely (which is unlikely, both from a narrative PoV and a TV-PoV.)

It is true that he’s basically serving the Starks.  But it is very meaningful to pledge service—recall when Brienne did it first for Caetlyn then to Sansa.  It would be an important step for the Hound to do so now.

I too do hope that The Hound survives and also that he serves House Stark already for a long time now. Am not sure however, if a more simple service is more suitable for him as he may find peace at last - without having to die. 

So I was thinking, we're all expecting The Hound vs The Mountain and maybe Jamie vs Cersei but why not subvert expectations and have Tyrion kill The Mountain and have Missandei kill Cersei. That'd be a surprise and that way we can avoid a cliche as well. It'd be genius writing.

50 minutes ago, Gianna Dorenberg said:

So I was thinking, we're all expecting The Hound vs The Mountain and maybe Jamie vs Cersei but why not subvert expectations and have Tyrion kill The Mountain and have Missandei kill Cersei. That'd be a surprise and that way we can avoid a cliche as well. It'd be genius writing.

I'd be fine with Tyrion killing Cersei, however if Missandei killed anyone, let alone the tallest strongest undead person in Westeros I'll be pissed! Clegaganebowl is happening!

I think show Sandor will stay close to Arya and Sansa in the North once it's all done if he is still alive. 

Edit to add: I just realised I read who killed who wrong in the quote. Sorry. But my answer still stands. Tyrion can kill Cersei but no way the Mountain

10 minutes ago, north of the wall said:

I'd be fine with Tyrion killing Cersei, however if Missandei killed anyone, let alone the tallest strongest undead person in Westeros I'll be pissed! Clegaganebowl is happening!

I think show Sandor will stay close to Arya and Sansa in the North once it's all done if he is still alive. 

Edit to add: I just realised I read who killed who wrong in the quote. Sorry. But my answer still stands. Tyrion can kill Cersei but no way the Mountain

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. I'm still salty about episode 3.

7 minutes ago, Gianna Dorenberg said:

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. I'm still salty about episode 3.

Hahaha. I've had 8 hrs sleep in the last 48 hours thanks to a teething baby... now that I read it again sarcasm is obvious. I should stop commenting til I get more sleep I think

Cleganebowl is such a cliche of a fanservice I really hope it dosen't happen.  I'd rather see the Hound retire to lord of the dreadfort or last hearth or something, marry him a crazy wildling woman to keep him in check and pop out lot'sa baby hounds, err puppies?

More interesting would be finding out Qyburn had used some wight blood or something to reanimate the Mountian, and when the Night King died suddenly the Mountian collapses, preferably right as he was about to save Cersi's life. 

2 hours ago, north of the wall said:

Hahaha. I've had 8 hrs sleep in the last 48 hours thanks to a teething baby... now that I read it again sarcasm is obvious. I should stop commenting til I get more sleep I think

Nah keep posting, it was my bad. I should have made it clear I was being sarcastic. Best of luck and hope you get some rest. 

2 hours ago, Bradam said:

Cleganebowl is such a cliche of a fanservice I really hope it dosen't happen.  I'd rather see the Hound retire to lord of the dreadfort or last hearth or something, marry him a crazy wildling woman to keep him in check and pop out lot'sa baby hounds, err puppies?

More interesting would be finding out Qyburn had used some wight blood or something to reanimate the Mountian, and when the Night King died suddenly the Mountian collapses, preferably right as he was about to save Cersi's life. 

I don't see an issue with a little fanservice. I like ep2 best, and don't you think there was a fair bit of fan service?

I'm fine with some cliche, especially if it's been built up of the years. I would love a cleganebowl!

I think he is already serving them but perhaps he makes it official now. There is ALOT of the north that doesn't have lords now  and I could see him getting some land and such. Or maybe he gets the lands is family had in the westerlands after the war for helping beat cersei and since he really is entitled to it now since the mountain is a member of the kings guard and can't own land.

17 hours ago, Forlong the Fat said:

With Thoros and Beric gone, the Hound is kind of a man without a country. I’ve been thinking it would be fitting for him to pledge his service to the Starks. He clearly wants to protect Arya, and probably Sansa. In the books, at least, he talked about going into service with the Starks before the Red Wedding—said Robb should take him into his service to take care of The Mountain. It would be a nice finish for him to serve people he actually cares for.

And, on a practical note, he needs some damn armor to fight his brother.  Wouldn’t it be nice to see him kitted out as a Stark?

I am wondering if he dies while fighting his brother. Maybe he and Arya and he somehow sacrifices himself so Arya can kill the Mountain and live. Thoughts?

35 minutes ago, LadyBlackwater said:

I am wondering if he dies while fighting his brother. Maybe he and Arya and he somehow sacrifices himself so Arya can kill the Mountain and live. Thoughts?

I think he may we’ll die. I picked him and the mountain to die in the death pool. 

But I I think he kills the mountain himself, perhaps with fatal injuries 

39 minutes ago, Forlong the Fat said:

I think he may we’ll die. I picked him and the mountain to die in the death pool. 

But I I think he kills the mountain himself, perhaps with fatal injuries 

You are probably right. He has wanted to kill him his whole life so it will have to be him that does it. 

Archived