What was your personal GoT breaking point?

Elayis

When it was announced the show would be called game of thrones, I worried. That would indicate that the throne is more important than the others and I never thought that to be the case.

The Lanisters and Tyrion were whitewashed so bad. The show jumped the shark for good with the Sansa rape scene. Then D&D had to go hard with the girl power to make up for that and a possible ending that may happen.

15 hours ago, T and A said:

I am not saying I have stoped watching it. I still love the show, therefore I am still watching it. I don't care what book fans have to say about it. I could not care less what those people have to say. 

I'm sorry, but if this were true, you wouldn't be all over telling us your issues with what many book and/or show fans have to say about it.  :dunno: 

Just now, btfu806 said:

The Lanisters and Tyrion were whitewashed so bad.

In the latest rewatch for season 8 this really confused me. Some moments we had cersei and tywin treating tyrion as familly and a couple of eps later they either try to kill him or treat him really badly.

8 minutes ago, T and A said:

You are claiming a lot of things that are pure nonsese:

You assume, that if I don't have a breaking point, I can not participate in this thread, which is bullshit. I can say, I have none, which is also a valid answer. You also underly that I don't criticize the show, which is bullshit. I have teard the last episode apart. I pretty much hated it.

Well, you certainly seem to be compelled to discuss the breaking points of others with them, no? And not necessarily in a 

You also claim, that I only participate in this forum, which you cannot possibly know. How do you know, I don't participate in the forums of other shows? What do you care, what I do in my free time? I can do whatever I like, no?  Only because I havent made over 19.000 post in this forum, does not mean, I am an average viewer.

I was doing exactly the same kind of thing you did - judging the normal behavior of others based on your own standards. Which is something one should not do, no? But I think the general point does has some validity, though. You only discuss things (online) you have more than a fleeting interest in, no? Just any other TV show usually doesn't trigger people to discuss things in great detail. At least that's my own experience. People only invest themselves if they have a (strong) personal investment. Could be that this is not exactly representative of a large portion of the world's population, of course.

And how am I asking from you, to explain yourself? Can you point out, where I demanded something like that, from anyone here?

You did this to me, personally, more than just one time. You criticized me for my criticism and demanded to know why I went online and derided a show I could just as well simply stop to watch. I'm sure you remember that; if not, I can point you to our previous discussions.

The contrary was the case. It was I, who was asked to explain myself. I pointed out, that there is no preaking point for me, and I was sarcastically compared to Kubricks work. So how exactly am I making anyone to explain himself. 

I didn't refer to any of that, I was speaking in general terms on the basis of our previous discussions. 

And why do you have the need, to tell me that you have the right to criticize. Have I stated otherwise? Have I ever written anywhere or here in specific that you can't? It is rather you, who insist, that I must have a certain opinion. Why do you have the need, that I must agree with your opinion? Do I have to dislike it too? This is not how a free opinion works. And if you continue with this nonstop smear of myself, I will report your posts. 

See above. You repeatedly quoted posts of mine asking yourself, me, and essentially all of us here why the hell I was criticizing the show. I just turned that around on you. I didn't even remotely say you must have a certain opinion - of course you can like the show and have your own individual breaking point - I just pointed out that it is interesting and telling that you feel the need to even read and post a thread which is about actual individual breaking points when your personal breaking point hasn't been reached yet. After all, the topic at hand is 'What was your individual GoT breaking point?' not 'What (do you think) would be your individual GoT breaking point?'.

If I were still liking the show to the degree you do I'd not bother to read such topics because, in the end, discussions about taste are pretty much pointless unless we discuss aspects of it that are somewhat objective.

On 5/3/2019 at 10:46 AM, Cas Stark said:

I understood why they cut Arianne and Aegon, bringing in two new main characters who presumably don't affect the end game at such a late date, in season 5, would have thrown off the show.  Even Euron, who clearly does have some end game purpose, they have done a terrible job on him, he flounces in, tells jokes, ticks off a plot box and then disappears again, his characterization is totally superficial...

What I had hoped was that they would find a good way to make KL relevant without Aegon's plot.  Clearly that didn't happen.  In hinsight, I'd say they should have kept the Tyrells for another season, or bit the bullet and killed off Cersei and Jamie last season.  Dragging this out and having her inexplicably be now more powerful than Dany is stupid and unbelievable.

I don't agree with the bolded part.  Black Sails (which is a totally different show to be fair) was a four season show that introduced at least three characters who were important to the endgame in the final season.  One was in the season four premiere (Israel Hands), one was in episode four (Julius), and one was in episode seven (Grandma Guthrie).  Season five of a seven or eight season show isn't too late if the characters are important.  In the particular case of Arianne and Aegon, they're actually both characters who could have been introduced late season four.  They just didn't want to include the characters, which is fine since it ultimately would come down to the show runner's discretion.  

2 hours ago, YoungGriff89 said:

I don't agree with the bolded part.  Black Sails (which is a totally different show to be fair) was a four season show that introduced at least three characters who were important to the endgame in the final season.  One was in the season four premiere (Israel Hands), one was in episode four (Julius), and one was in episode seven (Grandma Guthrie).  Season five of a seven or eight season show isn't too late if the characters are important.  In the particular case of Arianne and Aegon, they're actually both characters who could have been introduced late season four.  They just didn't want to include the characters, which is fine since it ultimately would come down to the show runner's discretion.  

And introduced the new governor halfway, and killed a main character of s1e1 before the finale of s3. Gosh, I'm gonna need to rewatch that show after GOT is finally done with, even if my heart breaks over Eleanor. And then I'll do a rewatch of HaCF.

On 5/2/2019 at 9:41 AM, Dragons Are Real said:

Arya's "training" that was basically getting beaten over and over and over and over and boringly over and over some more, then turning into a master assassin after being stabbed and absorbing what would essentially be raw sewage directly into her gut was the point where "NO!" became, outright hate.

That's definitely the point where I stopped making excuses for it. Where the theories I posted stopped being "maybe they're doing X" and started becoming "they could do X, but I know they aren't clever enough."

I don't even really blame D&D. They did a good job while adapting GRRM's source material, but were caught with their pants down when they ran out. What would you do in that situation? I feel like they did they best they could with their limited skillset. Should they have just... stopped? Ended the show at season 4? Even if they were committed to doing that, HBO would have simply found someone else.

3 hours ago, Damon_Tor said:

I don't even really blame D&D. They did a good job while adapting GRRM's source material, but were caught with their pants down when they ran out. What would you do in that situation? I feel like they did they best they could with their limited skillset. Should they have just... stopped? Ended the show at season 4? Even if they were committed to doing that, HBO would have simply found someone else.

They should have hired a few extra writers to assist them with breaking down each season and share the load of writing individual episodes. They almost always (except seasons 1 and 2, ironically) had almost half the number of writers a good series usually has, and they always wrote ~70% of each season themselves, while also acting as producers. Their desire to hog all the "glory" is what ruined the quality of the show.

21 minutes ago, The Coconut God said:

They should have hired a few extra writers to assist them with breaking down each season and share the load of writing individual episodes. They almost always (except seasons 1 and 2, ironically) had almost half the number of writers a good series usually has, and they always wrote ~70% of each season themselves, while also acting as producers. Their desire to hog all the "glory" is what ruined the quality of the show.

Doesn’t help that they said their goal was to get to the Red Wedding.  I think they dropped the proverbial pack after that.  The writing from season four onward is the evidence for it.

Watched seasons 1-2 shortly before the third, started reading the books after that, didn't read AFFC or ADWD until after season 5 was over. 

In spite of being late to reading the books, Season 5 was the breaking point for me before it turned into hatewatch.  Like with many others, it was Sansa's storyline, but it wasn't even the rape scene that started the hate, it was her entire plot leading up to being married to Ramsay.  Before all of that crap, both the show and book depicted her as being of incredibly high status worthy of the highest born heirs.  The Tyrells, the Arryns, and of course, the crown prince Joffrey.  After Bran and Rickon are thought dead, she is seen as the heir to Winterfell, and even Tywin Lannister has her wed his own son.  If that doesn't not emphasize her value, for Tywin Lannister to see her as the key to having control of Winterfell by proxy of his family, than I don't know what else does.  

And yet, in spite of this, she has to marry Ramsay to have a claim of what the entire realm recognizes as hers?  It doesn't make any sense.  And it especially doesn't make any sense that Littlefinger would plot this out either.  Littlefinger, who has spent his entire life to elevate his status to be eligible enough for Catelyn, and now her daughter, only to put that daughter in danger, both from Ramsay and Cersei.  The whole reason Sansa is hiding away as Alayne in the Vale is to hide from Cersei, after all, Sansa was accused of being part of Joffrey's death.  There is no reason why all of a sudden her whereabouts would be revealed for all to know.  

This was when the show really shit the bed for me because this was all part of the narrative in the show, the emphasis on Sansa's status, only to take that all back as though it meant nothing?  There was a reason why book Littlefinger presents a pretender as Arya Stark, because even the real Arya Stark, who is not even first in line as heir to Winterfell, would have been considered too valuable to marry off in such a risky move either.  And with Cersei, the only thing she cares about aside from herself is her children, yet she never does anything to retaliate against Sansa once she knows she's in Winterfell?  It's really sloppy writing.  

There's a whole load of other garbage from season 5 too, but that's what truly did the show in for me, as someone who saw that season before reading the books.  Anyway since then, I merely watch the show out of morbid curiosity as to how bad it will be each week or year, and I do hope that when it's over we finally get an announcement for TWOW as a little bird flip to D&D.  

Honestly? Tho it has been going downhill for a while, I still had hope. I was not surprised by the NK dying so soon, the show is called A Game of Thrones, not ASOIAF, so not surprised that is the focus. They jumped the shark this season. Destroying almost every character arc. Now I am just praying I get the proper story, from GRRM, before I die, or he does.

12 hours ago, The Coconut God said:

I agree.  Some of the plot holes and continuity issues were so easy to fix, could have been fixed with a single line of dialogue, but the showrunners were too busy chasing glory and working to make GOT the biggest, most expensive, multi site TV show ever that they could never be bothered to hire someone who could have done that easy detail work.  Same goes for the writing, some of the writing in the early seasons done by the showrunners was good, it was never as good as the stuff lifted from GRRM, but it was still good.  I presume that good writing must take them a lot more time than they were willing to spend, so yes, it can only be their vanity that prevented them from having at least another couple writers around who could focus on the long term plot arcs and structure and they could have done the polishing.  Such a wasted opportunity for the show that so easy could have been great from start to finish and is now going to limp over the finish line, mortally wounded.

Im not "broken", but I no longer consider the series 'canon', and I believe the books will be considerably different and not so sloppy (such as cersei's 2 year 'pregnancy'.)

The time for me that was the lowest, was when all the best minds of the 7 Kingdoms were meeting at Dragonstone, and they decided that the best course of action was to take some of the most important leaders and go past the wall, walk into a bloodthirsty army of about 100K, kidnap one, then bring it to cersei, who had zero credibility (plus at this point had zero army or presented a near-term threat).  

Then these main characters walz through eastwatch, on foot, with no dragonglass or equipment and such.  

The next episode got worse with an "avengers" style comedy as they were walking.  Then they were caught and were able to fight/hold off thousands and thousands of wights, while we have the fist of the first men, which was 200 trained soldiers (sort of), well equipped in a strong defensible position, slaughtered.

Those 2 episodes nearly bucked me off. 

Just a lot of "rushed" things now in the past few seasons.  Sansa's whole transition from "I like songs" to some kind of stone cold leader seems hastily done.  It feels like the whole white walker threat was resolved "easily" and quickly at the first battle with men (which we have been told all along that this thing is much bigger than titles, lords, etc).  Little things like the fact that Cesei/Euron suddenly have like 100 of those scorpion things that pivot and have impeccable accuracy, while being mounted on a stealth fleet of ships.

I dont hate the show at all.  Still gripped by it, and anything connected to these characters... but it is a definite split from the books.

I had issues dating back as far as season 2 and even more in seasons 3 and 4. But Season 5 was where the show went from ok to total suckfest. Sansa's and Stannis' storylines were the straws that broke the camel's back.

The first episode of the sixth season, when resurrected Jon Snow based in nothing more than a stupid Fan Theory, and worse, it was full of lot holes and out of character moments.

Melisandre doesn't know how to resurrect people and Jon Snow is the last person that she would resurrect, and Allister Thorne was behaving like an idiot, he didnt kill the Jon Snow loyalist and even that they burned the corpse of the willing in the last season, he didnt do it for Jon Snow, and let not forget that the Jon Snow corpse was conveniently in a room.

And last, the "resurrected" Jon Snow betrayed everything that the real Jon Snow stood for.

3 Cracks started it.

It started for me with Talisa and Robb, big diversion from original source. It made Robb into an Asshole. Season 2 -3.

The Saintly White-Washing of Tyrion - nauseating to the core and turned him into an unsufferable Know-It-All. Season 2- forward.

The attempt at turning Evil to the Core Cersei into a Sympathetic Mother figure. Seasons 2-5.

/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\\//\

The part that was the last straw and was the most despicable was Sansa being dumbed down to agree to marry Ramsay Bolton just so they could Rape her was the sickest yet and it destroyed her character for good. They defend it by having her appreciate it now. There is no defense for this.

I had read up to somewhere in Storm when season 2 aired.  I was really looking forward to how Reek would play out on screen, because, gods! that moment Theon is considering taking the black, then Ramsey shows and he is triumphant, followed by despairing as he realises the true depth of his betrayal; it is horrifyingly magnificent.  And then it didn't happen - we don't see Reek until Theon becomes him.

I still mostly enjoyed the show in season 3 and kind of hate watched season 4 as I did not enjoy their choices.  The last episode I liked was the battle against the wildlings.

I have sometimes flicked over to watch it, not liked what I saw and turned off, but I very much enjoy the rant and rave threads, which keep me up to date!

I used to be very critical of the show up to season 7, but after waiting for 2 years for a new book, and not getting one, I was actually very much looking forward to this new season, knowing that this is the only end I will get.  

I can't say there was one thing that was the breaking point for me. 

For example one thing that I remember really bothered me was how they made Theon kill the two boys, while in the books it was Reek who did it.  That's one thing that makes Theon an even more tragic figure than he's on the show.  Also, I didn't like seeing Theon being tortured.  

Another thing that was completely ignored on the show was Sansa building the snow castle, one of the most powerful moments in the books.

Tyrion not learning the truth about Tysha from Jaime!  That completely ruined Tywin's death scene for me.  And why change Shae so much in a couple of episodes?

Shireen's death for no reason.  I think that will happen in the books too, but I think the wildlings will probably be involved, and she will be the sacrifice that brings Jon back to life.  There was no cost to Jon coming back to life on the show.  It just happened.  And obviously there was no point to it either.

I hated how the Stark kids are not wargs on the show.

I hated Dorne.  Why is Arianne missing?

I hated Euron.

And there's a lot more that has really bothered me.

On 5/3/2019 at 9:51 PM, State Trooper said:

If I felt that way I wouldn't bother watching it. Again, I just don't see the point.

I'll give you an example of what I mean with Peaky Blinders. I watched the first twenty minutes, thought it was rubbish and switched it off. Same with Breaking Bad and other popular shows, and I'd have done the same with GOT as well.

But the thing is, I don't watch it (haven't since s4, which I watched while doing housework), but I can't escape from it.

It's not just people at work or at social events celebrating it (where I generally keep schtum, because nobody likes a party pooper), it's also on my favourite comedy shows.  8 Out of 10 Cats even showed a clip.  I can't think of any other show that has had this treatment. 

This forum is one of the only places I can find out what's going on without people gushing about it and treating me like I'm crazy if I simply say I don't like it or watch it.

Archived