What was your personal GoT breaking point?

Elayis

4 minutes ago, divica said:

But if they don t give something more to the r+l=j reveal then it was another awful moment of writting. So bad that I don t even understand how anyone could do it. Like they take all that is interesting about the story, take the emotional impact and make it about claims and bloodline…

It is s8ep3 level of bad writing...

Oh I think it will turn out to be another destroyed plot point.  Unless Jon is recognized as king by all of Westeros or his being a Targaryen actually causes Dany to turn evil, it will be a non starter.  I don't think Jon will be king, and I don't think Dany will turn evil, so I expect that the whole R/L stuff will end up to be just more filler that goes nowhere.

Just now, Cas Stark said:

Oh I think it will turn out to be another destroyed plot point.  Unless Jon is recognized as king by all of Westeros or his being a Targaryen actually causes Dany to turn evil, it will be a non starter.  I don't think Jon will be king, and I don't think Dany will turn evil, so I expect that the whole R/L stuff will end up to be just more filler that goes nowhere.

which makes it s8 ep3 level of bad writing.

They could have used it to make him ride a dragon. It could have been important for the conflict against the others, they could have used the emotional turmoil the revelations bring to several central characters, they could have used it to show us the story of rhaegar and lyanna and the beguining of the rebelion, they could have used it (some time ago) to make a jon vs danny at some time because he thinks she isn t fit to rule westeros… 

It having no use or just to create conflict between jon and danny after they are together and defeated the dead is the worst thing I could imagine.

41 minutes ago, divica said:

which makes it s8 ep3 level of bad writing.

They could have used it to make him ride a dragon. It could have been important for the conflict against the others, they could have used the emotional turmoil the revelations bring to several central characters, they could have used it to show us the story of rhaegar and lyanna and the beguining of the rebelion, they could have used it (some time ago) to make a jon vs danny at some time because he thinks she isn t fit to rule westeros… 

It having no use or just to create conflict between jon and danny after they are together and defeated the dead is the worst thing I could imagine.

Lowest expectations, and you might enjoy a scene or 2: just my experience in s8 ;)

There were warning signs already in season 1, the most notable example I can think of being the infamous brothel (s)exposition scene in S1E7, and it only got worse after that. Still, I find myself agreeing with most on here that season 1-4 were overall enjoyable, and that it wasn’t until season 5 that the show went off the rails and over the cliff. Since then, I’ve been mostly hatewatching, hoping to pick up whatever traces of GRRM’s story that can be found, but after this week’s episode, I’m not so sure if I can be bothered to do even that…

7 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

Lowest expectations, and you might enjoy a scene or 2: just my experience in s8 ;)

I don’t k know about that... my expectations couldn’t possibly have been any lower, and I was still disappointed. 

20 hours ago, T and A said:

There was no breaking point for me. There was a point (Season 5) where I accepted, that I am watching a TV Show and not ASOIAF. And everything worked fine with me since then. 

Your statement reminds me of movie title : "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb" , that is certainly a way to enjoy. Wish I could also turn off any critical sense whatsoever and accept whatever is written as dogma.

3 hours ago, Eltharion21 said:

Your statement reminds me of movie title : "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb" , that is certainly a way to enjoy. Wish I could also turn off any critical sense whatsoever and accept whatever is written as dogma.

Maybe because for me it is just a TV Show, and I am not that emotionally invested in it? Have you thought of that? If the books go that way, I may be disapointed. But even then, eh...I also read other books. There is no fiction in the world, that makes me really angry or emotionally disapointed. It is not my personal life. I enjoy watching it on TV. The moment I don't, I stop. There are tons of Shows I enjoyed once, and then I stoped watching after I didn't anymore (Lost, Stargate, Black List, Vikings, True Detective, Suits, just to name some). It does not effect me personally I guess. I very much enjoy discussing it with fans, but mostly because I also like the  books, but at the end of the day, it is just a TV Show, and, as I said, I have watched tons of them, therefore it doesn't really effect me to the point where I were disapointed.

3 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I don’t k know about that... my expectations couldn’t possibly have been any lower, and I was still disappointed. 

There are still many things I find nonsensical and rubbish, and it boils down to just a few scenes I like with some honeypotting. It's a very weird zone.

4 hours ago, T and A said:

Maybe because for me it is just a TV Show, and I am not that emotionally invested in it? Have you thought of that? If the books go that way, I may be disapointed. But even then, eh...I also read other books. There is no fiction in the world, that makes me really angry or emotionally disapointed. It is not my personal life. I enjoy watching it on TV. The moment I don't, I stop. There are tons of Shows I enjoyed once, and then I stoped watching after I didn't anymore (Lost, Stargate, Black List, Vikings, True Detective, Suits, just to name some). It does not effect me personally I guess. I very much enjoy discussing it with fans, but mostly because I also like the  books, but at the end of the day, it is just a TV Show, and, as I said, I have watched tons of them, therefore it doesn't really effect me to the point where I were disapointed.

Of course , I don't mean to challenge Your concept of approaching works of art and emotional response to them.

Though just to make things clear people who have issues with later seasons of Game of Thrones for various reasons were invested while it still had largely followed essence of novels, while exposed to long wait they also had expectations of better culmination of at least main story arcs and their progressive disenchantment through many of misses of show-runners is understandable to me

For instance I gave "Blackwater" ,"The Rains of Castamere" and some others rating 10 , "Hardhome" rating 9, "Mothers Mercy" and "Beyond the Wall" episode rating 1 , but " Long Night" I gave rating 6, since my emotional involvement isn't high as before,  but still I have some personal standards and it annoys me when people proclaim things as masterpiece without merit.

I was hesitant when I saw that LF was giving Sansa away to the Boltons. I gave it a chance, figuring that they were just trying to narrow down the plot and replace the setting from the Vale to Winterfell with Sansa still learning lessons on manipulation along the way. I saw the cracks with Dorne and the show's treatment of Sansa. Dorne was bad, but at least it didn't fundamentally change the plot much. It would be understandable if they just cut the Dorne theatre out entirely, but at least this was a contained story. Sansa once again being a hostage for the villain was pretty bad though. LF didn't actually end up teaching her much from what I recall. I think that it was just confuse your enemies and a quick history tidbit on the Vale.

My breaking point was definitely Stannis' death and the buildup to it. In, like, 3 episodes Stannis gets stuck in an impassable snowstorm, gets his supplies burned down by Boltons who passed through said impassable snowstorm, burns his heir, has his wife commit suicide, and leads his unorganized army right beside Winterfell, gets his army destroyed, then gets killed by Brienne. How did the greatest military commander in Westeros park his army too close to the walls of Winterfell before forming a coherent strategy? This felt like it was just trying to get Stannis out of the way ASAP.

Overall I think that it was just the writers painting Ramsay as this untouchable, unbeatable jerk to try and simulate the viewers hatred of Joffrey so that they would all clap and cheer when Jon got to beat him up. Joffrey, obviously, wasn't untouchable, as we saw with his interactions with his family and the riots.

7 hours ago, T and A said:

I find you a very peculiar human being. I am totally different. Even if I start watching a Hallmark movie that is beyond stupid, I have this obsessive compulsive need to finish it. When I have invested actual emotions with shows like GOT or LOST or Smallville, the need is so strong that no matter how bad the story is, I'll ride it till the bitter awful end.

Anyways, for me there was not a single moment or scene that screamed D&D are hacks, it was a build up of different moments from season 2 onward. When the "You want a good girl, but you need the bad pussy" scene came, the realization of the fact was complete.

11 minutes ago, Han Snow said:

I find you a very peculiar human being. I am totally different. Even if I start watching a Hallmark movie that is beyond stupid, I have this obsessive compulsive need to finish it. When I have invested actual emotions with shows like GOT or LOST or Smallville, the need is so strong that no matter how bad the story is, I'll ride it till the bitter awful end.

Anyways, for me there was not a single moment or scene that screamed D&D are hacks, it was a build up of different moments from season 2 onward. When the "You want a good girl, but you need the bad pussy" scene came, the realization of the fact was complete.

I am not saying I have stoped watching it. I still love the show, therefore I am still watching it. I don't care what book fans have to say about it. I could not care less what those people have to say. 

8 hours ago, T and A said:

Rather strange, though, that you are apparently enough invested into the show to care to comment on in online - and in a forum that isn't exactly pro-show anymore. 

Do you do that for other shows based on literary works you may have read?

It was more gradual after the Season 4 finale had no Tysha reveal and no LSH, which... uh, okay.

Then came Comic Con and the indication that there was going to be no Arianne and a focus on the Sand Snakes, an... interesting choice.

And then when the trailer came out with the stupid Sansa in Winterfell plot being revealed... yeah, I was done by the first few episodes of Season 5. 

11 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Rather strange, though, that you are apparently enough invested into the show to care to comment on in online - and in a forum that isn't exactly pro-show anymore. 

Do you do that for other shows based on literary works you may have read?

Rather strange, that I must give a man an answer, who obvioulsy hates the show and still comments online. I said, I enjoy the show: 

11 hours ago, T and A said:

I am not saying I have stoped watching it. I still love the show, therefore I am still watching it. I don't care what book fans have to say about it. I could not care less what those people have to say

I was in this forum primarily because of the books. I am very aware, that this forum hates the show. But what is the purpose of those questions? Bullying all the people out who like it? Because that was the initial question I got. How dare I not being mad? If I get a sarcastic question, I tend to give sarcastic answers. Another reason why I still watch it, is because I want to know how this story ends. Because I am pretty sure, that this will be the only story that we will see finished. But initially I didn't want to start that discussion here. 

I'm seeing a lot of people zeroing in on no Tysha reveal in season 4 ep 10 and I'm inclined to agree. It didn't leave Tyrion much to do as a character, as killing Shae was framed as self defense and no one cared he killed his father. This was the really big wobble for me. Season 4 had it's problems for sure - the idiotic Jon plot to kill the night's watch deserters was one, because even when watching I knew it was filler.

But Sansa going to the boltons in season 5 converted me to actively disliking the show. I didn't accept that it was necessary to give sansa something to do, (she didn't do anything in winterfell anyway except be abused) she was effectively learning the same lessons she should have learnt in KL, (don't marry someone you don't know in a situation you cant control) and the argument that D&D used her to adapt the plotline of ADWD is bullshit because they adapted so little of it. No murder mystery, no fighting northern lords, no spearwives, no mance, no freys, no manderly, nothing except "Ramsay's wife gets raped and Theon saves her" as if that was the only important thing to take away from what GRRM wrote.

I've been against the show ever since and it infuriates me that the faux feminism and pandering of later seasons has tricked people into thinking that D&D have a clue how to write female characters properly. 

16 hours ago, Eltharion21 said:

Of course , I don't mean to challenge Your concept of approaching works of art and emotional response to them.

Though just to make things clear people who have issues with later seasons of Game of Thrones for various reasons were invested while it still had largely followed essence of novels, while exposed to long wait they also had expectations of better culmination of at least main story arcs and their progressive disenchantment through many of misses of show-runners is understandable to me

For instance I gave "Blackwater" ,"The Rains of Castamere" and some others rating 10 , "Hardhome" rating 9, "Mothers Mercy" and "Beyond the Wall" episode rating 1 , but " Long Night" I gave rating 6, since my emotional involvement isn't high as before,  but still I have some personal standards and it annoys me when people proclaim things as masterpiece without merit.

I try to judge episodes based on how well they deliver on all fronts:  story, acting, pacing, advancement of plot, art design, CGI, etc.  I do find myself annoyed when people judge the episodes only on spectacle.  Battle of the Bastards as a sequence is good, the episode overall?  Meh.  Doesn’t deserve a place within the top 30 best overall episodes.  The Long Night?  There are some truly spectacular moments, but the lighting gaffes, the weird pacing, the nonsensical battle strategies, the vaguely foreshadowed ending that I’m personally ok with (I mean who actually kills the night king) stop it from being anything other than a decent episode the way I see it.  

3 hours ago, T and A said:

Rather strange, that I must give a man an answer, who obvioulsy hates the show and still comments online. I said, I enjoy the show: 

I was in this forum primarily because of the books. I am very aware, that this forum hates the show. But what is the purpose of those questions? Bullying all the people out who like it? Because that was the initial question I got. How dare I not being mad? If I get a sarcastic question, I tend to give sarcastic answers. Another reason why I still watch it, is because I want to know how this story ends. Because I am pretty sure, that this will be the only story that we will see finished. But initially I didn't want to start that discussion here. 

This is a specific thread about your personal GoT breaking point. If you don't have one, you don't have a reason to comment here, do you?

You downplay the personal importance this material has for people who are into it very much and you pretend or claim to treat it like just another TV show to enjoy, yet you yourself clearly treat it not like any other TV show, or else you would either comment only in a forum dedicated specifically to the show or not at all - because the average viewer most definitely doesn't routinely comment on shows online. I've watched a lot of TV shows but I didn't feel a need to search out online communities for most of them - and I daresay that this is the case for most people who watch TV shows, wouldn't you agree?

Why do you tell us about your standards and criteria to judge fictional content and then imply or even insist this was the normal way to do it? You are not the standard for normal behavior nor do you know why people comment the way they do. We are under no obligation to explain ourselves to you, are we?

And in general: Discussion boards on fictional content are not necessarily only in existence so that said content can be praised. There should be (and is) space there to criticize said content, too. Pretty much no proper forum I know online demands that people always praise the content that's to be discussed.

24 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

This is a specific thread about your personal GoT breaking point. If you don't have one, you don't have a reason to comment here, do you?

You downplay the personal importance this material has for people who are into it very much and you pretend or claim to treat it like just another TV show to enjoy, yet you yourself clearly treat it not like any other TV show, or else you would either comment only in a forum dedicated specifically to the show or not at all - because the average viewer most definitely doesn't routinely comment on shows online. I've watched a lot of TV shows but I didn't feel a need to search out online communities for most of them - and I daresay that this is the case for most people who watch TV shows, wouldn't you agree?

Why do you tell us about your standards and criteria to judge fictional content and then imply or even insist this was the normal way to do it? You are not the standard for normal behavior nor do you know why people comment the way they do. We are under no obligation to explain ourselves to you, are we?

And in general: Discussion boards on fictional content are not necessarily only in existence so that said content can be praised. There should be (and is) space there to criticize said content, too. Pretty much no proper forum I know online demands that people always praise the content that's to be discussed.

You are claiming a lot of things that are pure nonsese:

You assume, that if I don't have a breaking point, I can not participate in this thread, which is bullshit. I can say, I have none, which is also a valid answer. You also underly that I don't criticize the show, which is bullshit. I have teard the last episode apart. I pretty much hated it.

You also claim, that I only participate in this forum, which you cannot possibly know. How do you know, I don't participate in the forums of other shows? What do you care, what I do in my free time? I can do whatever I like, no?  Only because I havent made over 19.000 post in this forum, does not mean, I am an average viewer.

And how am I asking from you, to explain yourself? Can you point out, where I demanded something like that, from anyone here? The contrary was the case. It was I, who was asked to explain myself. I pointed out, that there is no preaking point for me, and I was sarcastically compared to Kubricks work. So how exactly am I making anyone to explain himself. 

And why do you have the need, to tell me that you have the right to criticize. Have I stated otherwise? Have I ever written anywhere or here in specific that you can't? What have I written in specific, that makes you feel that way? It is rather you, who insist, that I must have a certain opinion. Why do you have the need, that I must agree with your opinion? Do I have to dislike ecerything you do? This is not how a free opinion works. And if you continue with this nonstop smear of myself, I will report your posts. 

Archived