US Politics: Don't Panic - Organize

Fragile Bird

I finally got The Restaurant at the End of the Universe from the library audiobook section after months of waiting. I was thinking of some title about Lowering the Barr, or Barring the White House Door, Throwing a Snitty Fit, but I have seen so much depressing stuff on Facebook, on tv, and in the US Politics thread and I just want to try to be more positive.

Get the vote out, guys. Join a group getting people on the voting list.  Noli carborundum illegitimi!

20 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You could have also gone with “Barred From The Truth” or “Bill Needs To Be DisBarred.”

Also, Thunberg’s arguing that we need to panic. Which is it BIRD!?

You can walk and chew gum at the same time, right? 

To channel Hitchhiker some more, don't toss in the towel on politics. Thunberg may very well be right to say So long, and thanks for all the fish when it comes to climate change.

48 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

You can walk and chew gum at the same time, right? 

Sounds rather complex to me. I’ll just stick to reading while watching basketball on mute.

(How bout your Raptors!!!)

To channel Hitchhiker some more, don't toss in the towel on politics. Thunberg may very well be right to say So long, and thanks for all the fish when it comes to climate change.

?

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Sounds rather complex to me. I’ll just stick to reading while watching basketball on mute.

(How bout your Raptors!!!)

?

Your towel. You always have to have your towel.Shows you're organized and can meet any challenge.

The dolphins in Hitchhiker's Guide tried to warn disaster was coming. People thought they were just amusing folks with their antics, but in the end they were reduced to messaging "So long, thanks for all the fish", but people were too stupid to understand!

3 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I finally got The Restaurant at the End of the Universe from the library audiobook section after months of waiting. I was thinking of some title about Lowering the Barr, or Barring the White House Door, Throwing a Snitty Fit, but I have seen so much depressing stuff on Facebook, on tv, and in the US Politics thread and I just want to try to be more positive.

Get the vote out, guys. Join a group getting people on the voting list.  Noli carborundum illegitimi!

No we will not organize.

Democrat leadership is extremely against organizing.

Organizing might result in successful primary challenges from the left, and subsequent victories of said primary challengers.

Such a situation is viewed by Democrat leadership as being far worse than Trump winning.

This is why they unilaterally disarmed after last November's election and all the energy in the party evaporated into nothingness.

1 hour ago, lokisnow said:

No we will not organize.

Organizing might result in successful primary challenges from the left, and subsequent victories of said primary challengers.

Such a situation is viewed by Democrat leadership as being far worse than Trump winning.

This is why they unilaterally disarmed after last November's election and all the energy in the party evaporated into nothingness.

....I legitimately don't know if this is sarcasm or despair.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Your towel. You always have to have your towel.Shows you're organized and can meet any challenge.

The dolphins in Hitchhiker's Guide tried to warn disaster was coming. People thought they were just amusing folks with their antics, but in the end they were reduced to messaging "So long, thanks for all the fish", but people were too stupid to understand!

Never read it.

33 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

....I legitimately don't know if this is sarcasm or despair.

It’s his shtick.

2 hours ago, lokisnow said:

No we will not organize.

Lol, ok, November was great, but omg, I’ve seen so many discouraged people. It’s hard to keep up strength when the ther So has the power and uses it relentlessly.

I see Roe v Wade is going to come up again because, who was it, Alabama basically banned abortion yesterday to try to get it struck down. It’s so effing awful to be a woman in so many parts of the USA. And Barr sat there smirking yesterday, knowing he was going to ask for the ACA to be struck down while he distracted with his bs.

I get a feeling the Barr’s and the Muellers aren’t going to be friends anymore. 

Maybe I should re-name the thread The anti-Casablanca Version?

8 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I see Roe v Wade is going to come up again because, who was it, Alabama basically banned abortion yesterday to try to get it struck down. It’s so effing awful to be a woman in so many parts of the USA. And Barr sat there smirking yesterday, knowing he was going to us for the ACA to be struck down while he distracted with his bs.

I believe Ohio and Louisiana already banned it, and the framework of the "heartbeat" legislation has been introduced in like a dozen more states. I looked for a podcast I listened to not that long ago about the awful woman behind this movement, but alas I failed. 

took another msnbc poll:

Who would you vote for if the 2020 presidential election were held today?

Choices were Trump and Harris.  Harris got 48%; Trump 32%, out of about 6200 participants.  Must be a party line thing.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I believe Ohio and Louisiana already banned it, and the framework of the "heartbeat" legislation has been introduced in like a dozen more states. I looked for a podcast I listened to not that long ago about the awful woman behind this movement, but alas I failed. 

I read that Kansas protected the right to an abortion recently, somewhat surprisingly. I would guess that abortion will end up being banned in about 20 states when all is said and done. Of course, a lot depends on how Roberts goes, but I see no reason why he would change how he rules on this issue. 

This is a real dog catches car moment though, much like ACA repeal, and so many issues with conservatives. OK, so you outlaw abortion. It's now to a murder offense. And by conservatives own logic, criminals must be penalized in the most extreme possibly way. There is really no choice, but to execute any doctors, nurses, or women involved in abortion. 

Any if say Roberts becomes the "traitor' yet again, it will be hard to run on future elections on how you are going to ban abortion, if only you can get a SC majority of conservatives. 

Once a center of antiabortion extremism, Kansas’s protections are now stronger than ever

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2019/04/27/once-center-antiabortion-extremism-kansass-protections-are-now-stronger-than-ever/?utm_term=.9af4f5e0dd79

Nearly three decades later, Burkhart sat down at her desk in a women’s clinic not far from the place where she first encountered the antiabortion activists. On Friday, the Kansas Supreme Court ruled that the state’s constitution fundamentally protects abortion rights.

The news flashed across her screen, and her staff rushed in to read it with her.

Kansans have “the ability to control one’s own body, to assert bodily integrity, and to exercise self-determination. This right allows a woman to make her own decisions regarding her body, health, family formation, and family life — decisions that can include whether to continue a pregnancy.”

Antiabortion groups called it “horrendous and more extreme than even we expected.” Burkhart had to read it twice.

46 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

took another msnbc poll:

Who would you vote for if the 2020 presidential election were held today?

Choices were Trump and Harris.  Harris got 48%; Trump 32%, out of about 6200 participants.  Must be a party line thing.

CNN did a big poll which they showed this morning, asking people who they would vote for, Trump or the top six candidates. Beto v Trump and Biden v Trump blew him away. Sanders and Harris v Trump were very strong too. Mayor Pete beat him, but it was a lot closer. The only Democrat Trump beat was Warren, 38% v 37%, which, they pointed out, was a statistical tie.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

CNN did a big poll which they showed this morning, asking people who they would vote for, Trump or the top six candidates. Beto v Trump and Biden v Trump blew him away. Sanders and Harris v Trump were very strong too. Mayor Pete beat him, but it was a lot closer. The only Democrat Trump beat was Warren, 38% v 37%, which, they pointed out, was a statistical tie.

They also reported his approval rating is also it's highest in 2 years https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/01/politics/cnn-poll-mueller-report-trump-approval/index.html

2 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

They also reported his approval rating is also it's highest in 2 years https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/01/politics/cnn-poll-mueller-report-trump-approval/index.html

Making pronouncements like that based on single polls is fucking stupid, polls have margins of error, and even taking that into account you get the odd outlier. An IPSOS poll today had him at 39, latest YouGov 40, Rasmussen 51 (lol). His aggregate polling is largely unchanged over the past month. Bouncing around the low 40s.

Basically people suck at stats, and news organisations like headlines.

17 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

https://scontent.flhr4-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/59380480_2100754243327529_2992396830014177280_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr4-2.fna&oh=0934a68bc9c906eb2b0e61b8c506b71a&oe=5D2E699B

Archived