US Politics: Don't Panic - Organize

Fragile Bird

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

You asked a question and I answered. Cool if it didn’t count for you. Keep being yourself. 

I shouldn't minimize her suffering. Roseanne Barr must be truly DESTROYED if there's only one major news outlet willing to do a video puff-piece to valorize her suffering. I bet she had to sell some houses just to make ends meet when she got booted off her TV show.

2 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Following up, Ben Shapiro gets interviewed by a well-known conservative British journalist, blows up under moderate questioning, accuses the interviewer of being "from the left" and runs away. All this from the swaggering "Debate Me!" chud who thinks he "destroys" liberals with his squeaky Gish Gallop.

https://splinternews.com/please-enjoy-ben-shapiro-melting-down-and-running-out-o-1834670796

I'll admit though -- and pardon the non-progressive nature of this criticism -- if I looked and sounded like Ben Shapiro, I'd probably be just as relentlessly unpleasant and chickenhawky.

He has mentioned ad nauseum that he was bullied as a kid. Wasn't necessary, it was painfully obvious to anybody who could think.

6 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I shouldn't minimize her suffering. Roseanne Barr must be truly DESTROYED if there's only one major news outlet willing to do a video puff-piece to valorize her suffering. I bet she had to sell some houses just to make ends meet when she got booted off her TV show.

Probably some sort of public stoning might be better punishment, or maybe something a little more medieval? 

By the way, @Heartofice, I know I'm treading dangerous ground by challenging your complicated and nuanced cross-Atlantic expertise on American racism, but I do believe your initial complaint was that a mere accusation of racism is enough to have destroyed multiple robust careers. I think it is safe to say that her relationship with racism goes beyond accusations. You might as well tell us that Harvey Weinstein was destroyed by mere accusations.

7 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Probably some sort of public stoning might be better punishment, or maybe something a little more medieval? 

:lmao:

I know you know that's not the point of my comment you quoted. Try again. Or just take the L and stop digging.

6 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

By the way, @Heartofice, I know I'm treading dangerous ground by challenging your complicated and nuanced cross-Atlantic expertise on American racism, but I do believe your initial complaint was that a mere accusation of racism is enough to have destroyed multiple robust careers. I think it is safe to say that her relationship with racism goes beyond accusations. You might as well tell us that Harvey Weinstein was destroyed by mere accusations.

Well I’m not going to go in too deep on Barr, I don’t care that much and I’ve just had the same debate on a UK matter. But whatever her past was, and it’s murky, she was basically DESTROYED for a tweet, which was debatably racist. She’s not working now, probably won’t get work again, is a social pariah. I know you probably don’t think thats enough, but as I said in the other thread we now live in a society where outrage culture wins over logic and people delight in the destruction of others. 

Anyway im going to leave it there. I have little interest in this debate. Enjoy yourself 

9 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Well I’m not going to go in too deep on Barr, I don’t care that much and I’ve just had the same debate on a UK matter. But whatever her past was, and it’s murky, she was basically DESTROYED for a tweet, which was debatably racist. She’s not working now, probably won’t get work again, is a social pariah. I know you probably don’t think thats enough, but as I said in the other thread we now live in a society where outrage culture wins over logic and people delight in the destruction of others. 

Anyway im going to leave it there. I have little interest in this debate. Enjoy yourself 

The tweet attracted attention to a bunch of other racism and crackpottery over the years. How could you have failed to unearth that part of the story? It's almost like you're not the expert on American racism that you claim to be!

There's a reasonable debate to be had about outrage culture going too far. But you were telling us that accusations of racism were destroying careers, with an S at the end to denote multiple careers, and now Roseanne Barr is your only example, and she's not even a good example. Then you said that people were being jailed for tweets, which wasn't even remotely true.

Look, your debate style, as far as I can tell, amounts to dumb hyperbole and nonsequiturs (telling me that I must be advocating for stoning when I point out that Roseanne has been far from DESTROYED) to defend your dumb hyperbole. You're operating on a sub-Shapiro level right now, so I'm just trying to spare you the further indignity of having your terrible claims blow up over and over again. I'm a goddamn saint, I really am.

2 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

. Then you said that people were being jailed for tweets, which wasn't even remotely true.

Actually you are right, I said someone had been jailed for a tweet. It was an error , they had been arrested, taken to court and fined. Do we want to live in a world where people are arrested for jokes? Maybe you do.

There have been other examples in the UK, for example the guy arrested for making a joke tweet about blowing up an airport. He spent the next two years fighting it in court.

But anyway, Your debate style hasn’t changed one bit, the aggression, personalised insults and anger makes talking to you highly unpleasant , i’d forgotten how bad it is. So I’m really outta here. Goodbye

5 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Actually you are right, I said someone had been jailed for a tweet. It was an error , they had been arrested, taken to court and fined. Do we want to live in a world where people are arrested for jokes? Maybe you do.

There have been other examples in the UK, for example the guy arrested for making a joke tweet about blowing up an airport. He spent the next two years fighting it in court.

But anyway, Your debate style hasn’t changed one bit, the aggression, personalised insults and anger makes talking to you highly unpleasant , i’d forgotten how bad it is. So I’m really outta here. Goodbye

I tend to get pretty mean when I detect someone is making false or bad faith arguments in defense of racists and right wing shitheels.

You have every right not to engage with me. Next time maybe remember that before you choose to respond to me repeatedly with "Ben Shapiro didn't actually get owned when he accused a very conservative media figure of being left wing just for asking him moderately challenging questions" and "Roseanne Barr has been destroyed by baseless accusations of racism."

stoning has been an actual state punishment; barr has by contrast experienced voluntary and decentralized terminations of civil society associations, the exact marketplace behavior that liberals claim to cherish. i see therefore no reason for unwarranted and hyperbolic references to the carceral grotesques of the ancient world. she is getting the full measure for which she bargained; it is unfortunate that she is suffering buyers' remorse but that suffering remains insufficient for recission.

37 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Wait wait wait, I almost missed this attempted point. You think someone getting arrested for making an airport bombing joke is an example of outrage culture run amok? It's been established for twenty years now that joking about that kind of stuff gets no tolerance from law enforcement. There were some well publicized events that led to that state of affairs, but perhaps you missed them while doing your deep dives on American culture. It has not a fucking thing to do with whether or not liberals are overdoing it with accusations.

As for whether I want to live in that kind of world, I have lots of thoughts about the security state and the useless security theater we're subjected to in airports, but you did say (within minutes of detailing your expert knowledge of American racism) that non-British people should refrain from commenting on British things, so I will respectfully decline comment.

25 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

lol, Barr is a huge supporter of PIzzagate AND a holocaust denier. Stoning is too nice.

Poor unassuming Roseanne Barr! Fired just because she... *checks notes* pissed off her employer for months with deranged tweets that they kept trying her to stop, like her claim that the Obamas had Joan Rivers killed for saying Michelle Obama was trans (not the word she used). Gosh, liberal outrage culture really claimed an innocent.

Thus began an unusual, behind-the-scenes battle, as ABC and Barr’s producers tried to protect their TV property, and Barr continued to speak out on Twitter, her preferred medium for pushing tales of Pizzagate and George Soros as well as profane blasts at TV personalities such as Stephen Colbert and Rachel Maddow. The network didn’t propose a no-tweet clause in Barr’s contact. Instead, as revealed by interviews with people close to the show and messages shown to The Washington Post,they spent months nudging her to stop while also trying to keep from offending her.

“It was always this back and forth of ABC not wanting to appear they were censoring Roseanne but also not quite pulling out the big guns,” says James Moore, Barr’s longtime publicist. “Going, ‘You’re one tweet away from us canceling the show.’ Something that would jar Roseanne.”

Despite repeated warnings — and even after her youngest son briefly hid her Twitter password — Barr stayed online.

“I admit it,” she says, in her hotel room. “I’m a troll. I’m the queen of the f‑‑‑ing trolls.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/style/wp/2019/03/21/feature/inside-roseanne-barrs-explosive-tweet/?utm_term=.9bf66b0c2fac

Archived