US Politics: Don't Panic - Organize

Fragile Bird

16 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Seriously this is as ridiculous as a man complaining about having paid for homeowner insurance when the house he owned never had an issue.

Meh. If Trump wins PA by one vote, maybe I'll feel guilty. Otherwise, I'll feel pretty good about voting for someone with a stronger background on the environment, who never opposed school busing, who isn't a creep with women and didn't that a woman shouldn’t have the sole right to say what should happen to her body.

But take comfort in the fact that my one vote really won't have an impact. Unless you actually believe one vote will be the deciding one. We still have to get through the primaries anyway, and maybe we won't end up with old white dude.

3 minutes ago, AverageGuy said:

Meh. If Trump wins PA by one vote, maybe I'll feel guilty. Otherwise, I'll feel pretty good about voting for someone with a stronger background on the environment, who never opposed school busing, who isn't a creep with women and didn't that a woman shouldn’t have the sole right to say what should happen to her body.

Sorry, who would you be voting for in the general, then? What mythical 3rd party candidate is this? Or are you saying you're going to vote for Trump and somehow implying that Trump is better with women? 

5 minutes ago, AverageGuy said:

But take comfort in the fact that my one vote really won't have an impact. Unless you actually believe one vote will be the deciding one. We still have to get through the primaries anyway, and maybe we won't end up with old white dude.

Are you only one vote? Are you not going to be promoting the person you prefer in conversations with others who are also likely to vote? It's not so much your vote that matters, since it is only one vote, but it is your influence on the thinking and voting of others, that turns into more votes than just your one vote.

1 hour ago, ThinkerX said:

Counter: Trump is Anti Family! Trump is making Immigration ANTI FAMILY!
that did not seem difficult to counter.

20 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

Counter: Trump is Anti Family! Trump is making Immigration ANTI FAMILY!
that did not seem difficult to counter.

Well, he is also going to bring in skilled brown computer programmers to replace expensive white computer programmers. It is basically white genocide, and just wait until he gets started on the Christians.

3 hours ago, AverageGuy said:

But take comfort in the fact that my one vote really won't have an impact.

It's not your vote that matters, it's your attitude towards that vote. Yes, your individual vote won't ever make a difference, but collectively, everyone who lets that affect how or whether they vote does make a big difference. If just 1% of the population share that attitude, that's enough to have flipped three states in 2016. And I suspect that the actual percentage of people who don't vote or vote third party because they don't think their vote matters is rather higher than that.

4 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Or are you saying you're going to vote for Trump and somehow implying that Trump is better with women? 

Ha, no. I'll find a candidate whose views align more with mine. But I'm not giving Biden a pass on what's coming out just because Trump's worse.

It's not your vote that matters, it's your attitude towards that vote. Yes, your individual vote won't ever make a difference, but collectively, everyone who lets that affect how or whether they vote does make a big difference. If just 1% of the population share that attitude, that's enough to have flipped three states in 2016. And I suspect that the actual percentage of people who don't vote or vote third party because they don't think their vote matters is rather higher than that.

I get the argument. If I thought me sucking it up would make everyone else suck it up, I might do it. But the last election that didn't happen and I don't really see why that would change.

4 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Well, he is also going to bring in skilled brown computer programmers to replace expensive white computer programmers. It is basically white genocide, and just wait until he gets started on the Christians.

I’m surprised more people haven’t made comments about this plan.

Trump said he would re-negotiate NAFTA during his campaign because it was so unfair to Americans, especially with regard to visas for workers who were coming to the country to take jobs away from Americans at lower salaries. There was a lot of bitching in this thread against foreign workers.

Now he presents an immigration plan that will wipe out America’s open-door policies and replace it with the restrictive immigration policies most first world nations have (Canada included) where a specific requirement is having a job lined up or having specific, mainly professional, job skills. ie taking away jobs from Americans. And so far...silence?

Biden has detractors on the left and some of his track record is not going to be popular. Im not feeling too great about whether he'll be effective at driving fence sitters to the voting booth. It seems to me running on ,"Trump is bad", will not be enough. People are going to need to feel motivated to vote for him on his merits just as importantly as Trumps demerits.

Some of the stuff that is going to get aired on Joe- 

https://weather.com/storms/severe/news/2019-05-14-severe-weather-forecast-plains-tornadoes-hail-winds-flooding

More bad news for the crops you're subsidizing the welfare queens folks.

Oh and their communities, womp womp. I'd make a joke about god here but i'd rather not, because it's SCIENCE, like anthropogenic global warming has been for 40 years. Thoughts and prayers. This will be a century of blood.

Coercive Diplomacy Can Work. Coercion Without Diplomacy Will Not.
We led the negotiations that paved the way for the Iran nuclear deal—and we can tell that Trump’s approach isn’t working.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/05/trumps-iran-strategy-all-coercion-no-diplomacy/589558/

A year after abandoning the Iran nuclear agreement, President Trump is doubling down on a risky and ill-fated “maximum pressure” campaign. He’s tried to brand this strategy as a kind of coercive diplomacy, purportedly aimed at an elusive “better deal.” But so far, his strategy is all coercion and no diplomacy. His aggressive escalation of sanctions, the blustery rhetoric of his senior officials, and his administration’s lack of direct engagement with Tehran betray a fundamentally different goal: the capitulation or implosion of the Iranian regime.

The first are risks of violent collisions, whether intended or unintended. In the past week, we’ve seen the U.S. announce the dispatch of an aircraft carrier and B-52 bombers in response to perceived Iranian threats against American personnel in the region. We’ve also seen reported attacks on shipping and oil infrastructure around the Persian Gulf. With American forces and Iranian proxies in tight quarters across Iraq, Syria, and the Gulf, and no direct communications between Washington and Tehran, either side could misjudge or misinterpret the other’s moves.

Trump’s hawkish advisers and the hardliners in Tehran could easily become mutual enablers in pushing a crisis up the escalatory ladder. The idea that the conflict is inevitable can produce momentum of its own, as can the sort of hubris that led to a disastrous war in Iraq in 2003. And should Iran abandon the deal altogether, the odds of conflict will grow larger still.

I feel like if there had been this coordinated attack on women's rights a few years ago there would have been pages of outrage and discussion. Have so many stopped posting or is everyone just worn down past the point of commenting by the relentless attacks (which is part of why they do it)?

11 hours ago, AverageGuy said:

Ha, no. I'll find a candidate whose views align more with mine. But I'm not giving Biden a pass on what's coming out just because Trump's worse.

I get the argument. If I thought me sucking it up would make everyone else suck it up, I might do it. But the last election that didn't happen and I don't really see why that would change.

Vote for who ever you want in any primary or run off election.

But if you care about the planet, vote democrat, not republican, not third party, in the general election.

It's a secret but third parties have enacted exactly zero policies in the united states, at the local, state, or federal government to combat climate change. But, the big secret is that places which elected democrats have enacted policies to combat climate change at the local and state levels, and when people elected democrats in 2006 and 2008, policies fighting climate change were also enacted at the federal level.

By all means, vote in the early elections for those who align closest to you. But in the general election, vote for those who are the only possible choice for accomplishing policy implementation.

9 minutes ago, karaddin said:

I feel like if there had been this coordinated attack on women's rights a few years ago there would have been pages of outrage and discussion. Have so many stopped posting or is everyone just worn down past the point of commenting by the relentless attacks (which is part of why they do it)?

Just sitting here waiting for the collective pivot on "states rights".

5 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Just sitting here waiting for the collective pivot on "states rights".

The thing that's so glaring for me is that you've got these 4 (and counting) states all "independently" deciding to implement laws so Draconian it amounts to criminalising being a woman. It's just so blatantly coordinated that it's clear the far right have decided they've moved the overton window enough and stacked the judiciary enough to go all in.

8 hours ago, Serious Callers Only said:

https://weather.com/storms/severe/news/2019-05-14-severe-weather-forecast-plains-tornadoes-hail-winds-flooding

More bad news for the crops you're subsidizing the welfare queens folks.

Oh and their communities, womp womp. I'd make a joke about god here but i'd rather not, because it's SCIENCE, like anthropogenic global warming has been for 40 years. Thoughts and prayers. This will be a century of blood.

20% of "small family farms" have zero annual sales, a tiny percent of that is because of weather related crop failures in any given years. The mega conglomerate corporate farms that account for 95% of food production are easily diversified so any given small local weather caused crop failure is mitigated by the hundreds of thousands of other acres they have in production that were not anywhere near that weather event. And the number with zero annual sales grows enormously every year because millionaire and billionaire white people have found that they are absolutely wonderful tax shelters and also qualify them for government welfare.

Hail is obviously really bad for crops, probably the worst other than drought, but tornados don't cause a huge area of damage relative to the overall size of farmland in production. When the horrific and devastating EF5 tornado hit Joplin Missouri, the touchdown track was about six miles long of a half a mile wide funnel, which is 3 square miles. (obviously more devastation for a fairly wide radius around the actual funnel, but you get the idea of how it doesn't scale to impacting crops on a national scale).

this storm system does look pretty intense--climate change--but the media is uninterested in covering this sort of thing, look at the collective shrug of Omaha drowning. Look at how no one whatsoever cares that the Mississippi has been flooding for 70+ days with levels higher than the catastrophic 93 floods. Sure, the evidence is in front of our eyes, but no one gives a fuck, which is frustrating.

23 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Why bother. Democrats are unwilling to elect senators in red states. which means they will never have a majority. Even if democrats unexpectedly win red state senate seats or miraculously defeat Susan Collins, The only way to change any of this once the supreme court upholds alabama's laws, would be to kill the filibuster and expand the court, and a huge amount of democrats get the vapors at doing that.

In other words, devotion to the way of operating a judiciary staffing scaled to 60 million people means that we are obligated to do nothing to scale the judiciary staff to operate justly for 320 million people. Ultimately, all democrat politicans, leaders and over half of the democrat electorate believe that upholding judicial staffing traditions ex-confederate states found convenient is more important than people, more important than rights, more important than women, more important than anything.

We can elect more democrat senators--which democrat leaders are stridently opposed to, because they hate winning--we can add states for New Columbia and Puerto Rico, we can break up all the states with populations greater than 10 million (so long as all new states have at least 4.5 million in population and a strong GDP center=eight Californias, for example) in order to break the back of republican senate power. But none of this is really possible or plausible.

We are stuck with everything Trump is doing, and it will not be undone because democrats have neither the spine nor vision to implement the changes necessary to undo it.

Even if we won a ton of elections, killed the filibuster, passed the green new deal and a ton of other policy victories, if we leave judiciary staffing levels unchanged, Trump's court would strike down every democrat initiative. they will be nakedly and openly partisan, every bit the judicial equivalent of Mitch McConnell.

If republicans suffer historic election losses, the Roberts court will dedicate itself to overturning the policy results of that election at every opportunity.

2 minutes ago, karaddin said:

The thing that's so glaring for me is that you've got these 4 (and counting) states all "independently" deciding to implement laws so Draconian it amounts to criminalising being a woman. It's just so blatantly coordinated that it's clear the far right have decided they've moved the overton window enough and stacked the judiciary enough to go all in.

They have, and they will.  Then the next thing that will happen, should the right ever control either both legislative branches with a veto proof majority OR have both legislative branches and the executive is that the equivalent of the Mann Act will be enacted, basically making it illegal to cross state lines to get an abortion in furtherance of the regulation of interstate commerce.  This is very likely to happen in my lifetime.  And really, we aren't talking about it and debating it because the thing is accomplished.  It has and will happen.  So why debate?  It's like asking water not to run downhill.  I mean, hopefully this motivates people to vote, but remember this board is a bubble within a bubble (e.g., I'm right wing-ish on this board, moderate in NYC, and basically a communist as compared to my relatives in NC).

Archived