Jon's previous sex issues

Sasha Steelsong

Hi, 

Having a debate with a non-forum friend re why Jon is so against having sex (obviously before he does).  While we both agree that he was against it before joining the watch because he didn't want to father a bastard and then it was against his vows, my friend insists that it is also because he was scared of sleeping with his mother since he didn't know whom she was and that is why he will balk at the idea of getting with Dany now that he knows. 

I think Jon will likely have an issue with it cause he was raised in the North where incest isn't cool, not raised like Dany to think that she would marry her brother. That said I have NO RECOLLECTION whatsoever that he stopped himself from having sex (either in the show or books) because he was worried he might accidentally bang his mom. Or am I crazy? 

45 minutes ago, Sasha Steelsong said:

Hi, 

Having a debate with a non-forum friend re why Jon is so against having sex (obviously before he does).  While we both agree that he was against it before joining the watch because he didn't want to father a bastard and then it was against his vows, my friend insists that it is also because he was scared of sleeping with his mother since he didn't know whom she was and that is why he will balk at the idea of getting with Dany now that he knows. 

I think Jon will likely have an issue with it cause he was raised in the North where incest isn't cool, not raised like Dany to think that she would marry her brother. That said I have NO RECOLLECTION whatsoever that he stopped himself from having sex (either in the show or books) because he was worried he might accidentally bang his mom. Or am I crazy? 

None of the women he's even had the opportunity to sleep with are old enough to be his mother. Except Melisandre, I guess, but he doesn't know how old she is.

Yeah I know that, plus I would just think the easy way to avoid sleeping with your unknown mom is to not sleep with women who look to be however many years old you are older than you, i.e. if you're 16 don't sleep with anyone close to 30. My question is more that it was never listed as one of the reasons he was avoiding it. Against vows - yes; don't want to make a bastard - yes; worried I might sleep with my mom - really don't remember that. 

13 hours ago, Sasha Steelsong said:

Hi, 

Jon mentioned that fear in season 1. He didn't want a child to have his life and he was afraid he might accidentally fuck his mom. 

The "fuck his mom"-part is a book thing because it's never been mentioned in the show.

The "not wanting to father a bastard" is however, the main thing that used to prevent him from having sex.

He ultimately slept with Ygritte, partly because of love and urge, but partly because I don't think he really cared at that point, he knew he could die any day. Cavesex was a go.

Later on the slept with Daenerys after, not only hearing her say several times that she can't get pregnant, he even (in the dragonpit) basically calls her out on it to confirm it. Since built-in-prevention seemingly was a thing, boatsex was a go. 

As for "incest", aunt/nephew isn't considered incest in Westeros (only siblings/parents+children are) and it's even legal in many parts the world today.
Heck, first-cousin marriages are common in Westeros.

On 5/2/2019 at 7:22 PM, Sasha Steelsong said:

Hi, 

He didn’t think that a bastard’s life was worth living.

And incest isn’t looked down too greatly; Ned’s own parents were cousins.

Archived